Gaming on 1080p vs 1440p

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

stilgarpl
x3tc

Post by stilgarpl » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 12:06

I have no idea what's the difference between those three.
I have VG278H, but I noticed some time ago on nvidia's http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-displays.html that there are those new screens.
I recommend you buy exactly the same model you have, because I know it will work. Those other two would probably work too, but you don't want to spend a lot of money only to find out they don't want to sync with each other, do you?

About Skyrim... check out this photo, https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-hBF8 ... AG0225.jpg I made it just after I bought this set a year ago :)

And the top link is for the 24" screen, not 27". That's why it's cheapest :)

aXeL_UK
x3tc

Post by aXeL_UK » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 12:35

Thanks, I'm just being blind.

I guess, all I was thinking with option (2) is that, if there's no IR sensor then there's no danger of the system getting confused about which is the correct sensor why I use my KVM but, as you say, I maybe sending them back because they don't work together.

The problem with our models is that they don't appear to be listed anymore, only the HEs and HRs, not the 'H's (unless I need to put my glasses on!).

LOVE that Skyrim view, I am SOO doing this.

BTW have you considered "de-bezeling"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ0DJhjfiTY

stilgarpl
x3tc

Post by stilgarpl » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 12:52

aXeL_UK wrote:Thanks, I'm just being blind.

I guess, all I was thinking with option (2) is that, if there's no IR sensor then there's no danger of the system getting confused about which is the correct sensor why I use my KVM but, as you say, I maybe sending them back because they don't work together.

The problem with our models is that they don't appear to be listed anymore, only the HEs and HRs, not the 'H's (unless I need to put my glasses on!).

LOVE that Skyrim view, I am SOO doing this.

BTW have you considered "de-bezeling"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ0DJhjfiTY
Additional emitters turning on is noting a piece of tape wouldn't solve :D

I see that those screens have 144Hz refresh rate. H model has 120Hz, so they will have to work at that frequency too, but it should be ok, I hope.

I didn't even think about de-bezeling. Bezel correction works so great that you forget about bezels almost instantly. Seriously. It's like frames of glasses - you can see them at first, but you forget about them.

aXeL_UK
x3tc

Post by aXeL_UK » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 13:10

I take your point and I have plenty of black electrical tape.

Having said that, I've been googling and there's lots of, "It should work", no "It does work" and no "It doesn't work" and one third hand quote stating that, apparently, according to NV from driver 304, as long as all monitors support lightboost then 3D surround is supported. Doesn't reference the quote though.

I'm going to order a couple of the HEs from Overclockers as they're only £359 inc VAT and save £200 vs two HRs. If they don't work I'll just send them back and get the HRs instead and we'll have a definitive answer.

Best get my other desk down from the attic...

aXeL_UK
x3tc

Post by aXeL_UK » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 13:23

Soo glad I didn't actually click 'buy' just then. Found a side by side comparison between the H and HE. HE is cheaper for reasons other than, "no emitter" and no glasses. See last post on this page

http://www.overclock.net/t/1339384/zero ... t_19136506

Kittens David

Post by Kittens David » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 13:33

Difficult to say as it is a completely new engine... We will know once the game is out.

Under X3 I was used to play under 2560x1600 and everything was fine. As it will be with X-Rebirth.

stilgarpl
x3tc

Post by stilgarpl » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 13:37

aXeL_UK wrote:Soo glad I didn't actually click 'buy' just then. Found a side by side comparison between the H and HE. HE is cheaper for reasons other than, "no emitter" and no glasses. See last post on this page

http://www.overclock.net/t/1339384/zero ... t_19136506
Also, this page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision- ... ments.html says that HE doesn't support 3D over HDMI. (I use DVI, so I don't care about it). You may wish you buy a longer dual-link dvi cable (or hdmi if your screen supports it), the one that are with the monitor are quite short and you can see it running over my desk, under my keyboard on the photo :)
And don't buy cheap dual-link cables, I bought one and it didn't even work. 120 frames per second is a lot of data.

Asus changes its models very often. I learned my lesson when I tried to upgrade my rig few years back and I could neither find the same graphic card (for SLI) or same screen.

Good luck!

nicknick

Post by nicknick » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 13:43

Its a very tough choice. I for myself have thought long, but at the end got the "1440p Dell equivalent", for the simple reason of it being cheaper in the long run. A powerful up-to-date rig is needed to maintain all these extra 3D(or not) fps, where the "Dell" has better colors and thus is still able to produce jaw-dropping scenery on any game even if the framerate drops into 30s without any compatibility problems. Or watching movies and photos. Inevitably games will come which will not be able to sustain high framerate at maximum settings, soon to come badly ported PS4 games come to mind. And judging by (my) preferences i almost always ops for better graphics than for better framerate, as much as i hate to admit it.

Edit: ofc not for any kind of online games, but i dont play that anymore that often, else i wouldnt think a second about what to get hehe.
Last edited by nicknick on Sat, 14. Sep 13, 13:53, edited 2 times in total.

aXeL_UK
x3tc

Post by aXeL_UK » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 13:47

lol - 'nads to the whole thing. I'm just going to follow your advice and get two of the HRs as they're the closest to our Hs.

Got good DVI-D dual link cables with EMI suppressors at both ends. The Dell was very sensitive to cables too.

And I just bought a damned quadcopter this month, I will be soo broke by payday!

aXeL_UK
x3tc

Post by aXeL_UK » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 13:51

nicknick wrote:Its a very tough choice. I for myself have thought long, but at the end got the "1440p Dell equivalent", for the simple reason of it being cheaper in the long run. A powerful up-to-date rig is needed to maintain all these extra 3D(or not) fps, where the "Dell" has better colors and thus is still able to produce jaw-dropping scenery on any game even if the framerate drops into 30s without any compatibility problems. Or watching movies and photos. Inevitably games will come which will not be able to sustain high framerate at maximum settings, soon to come badly ported PS4 games come to mind. And judging by (my) preferences i almost always ops for better graphics than for better framerate, as much as i hate to admit it.
I think that's a sensible choice. The bank breaking problem with 3D is you can never go back

nicknick

Post by nicknick » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 13:59

aXeL_UK wrote:
I think that's a sensible choice. The bank breaking problem with 3D is you can never go back
100% agree, i got a chance to play on an IPS monitor for a month, and just couldnt stop noticing the difference to a TN monitor, i wish i could forget... Guess the same goes for 3D.

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 15:18

That would be nice to replace my poo 17" tft monitor to a bigger which has the exact same height as my 32" led TV. I have to find such monitor first which also has 1080px row.....

I don't think i will ever consider to buy a monitor or TV with resolution less than 1080p. In your case the time will tell you the truth... ,p

There is some games suich as NFS underground 2 where you can't use all of the extra graphic settings with acceptable fps. i5-3570k here with ati 7700 series factory overclocked and 8gb Corsair GT ram and still i can not play that game with max settings.....
For the X3 series the differences does not matter above 720p i believe.
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

stilgarpl
x3tc

Post by stilgarpl » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 16:05

nicknick wrote:
aXeL_UK wrote:
100% agree, i got a chance to play on an IPS monitor for a month, and just couldnt stop noticing the difference to a TN monitor, i wish i could forget... Guess the same goes for 3D.
Problem is, IPS screens are too slow for 3D. Even fast 2ms TN produce "ghosting" when you have dark and bright things close to each other (Mirror's Edge is terrible to play in 3D because of this)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 16:09

ryeeson wrote:How about playing it on 27" monitor with 1080p Res?
The size of the monitor makes no different, its the res that matters

Flybye
x3tc

Post by Flybye » Sat, 14. Sep 13, 23:00

Please don't us 1440P again. It's not a standard and there are different resolutions that can end in 1440.

On a side note, I play X3 at 2304x1440 with no issues at all. Thankfully, I still have a CRT. If rebirth proves to be too demanding at 2304x1440, then I'll switch to 1920x1200 until I SLI my 660Ti.

aXeL_UK
x3tc

Post by aXeL_UK » Sun, 15. Sep 13, 12:33

Hey stilgarpl,

What size desk area do you use for the three 27" Asus? My math says I need 1.9m x 0.4m for the screens. I'll make an undertray for the keyboard and mouse.

Need to go timber shopping today as the two other screens arrive tomorrow

stilgarpl
x3tc

Post by stilgarpl » Sun, 15. Sep 13, 15:33

aXeL_UK wrote:Hey stilgarpl,

What size desk area do you use for the three 27" Asus? My math says I need 1.9m x 0.4m for the screens. I'll make an undertray for the keyboard and mouse.

Need to go timber shopping today as the two other screens arrive tomorrow
My desk is 1.45m x 0.6m. Monitors are not in line, they are rotated so every one of them is perpendicular (I mean normal vector of the screen, of course :) ) to the point where I sit, so there are no change of colours on them.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Sun, 15. Sep 13, 17:27

The thing that concerns me most about resolutions is the more "up" you go, the less framerate you get.

Not that you will have much problem with X3:Whatever but Rebirth... we'll see.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”