X3: Rebirth Wasn't Bad

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

oceanway
x3tc

X3: Rebirth Wasn't Bad

Post by oceanway » Wed, 26. Aug 20, 22:39

After playing X3: Rebirth, I realized that players who complained about it being bad didn't look at what the game was designed for. Unlike X2: The Threat where players were able to switch ships and fly them as captains, the X3: Rebirth was designed to fly big ships, not as captain, but as admiral commanding captains. The only ship Ren Otani or the player was captain of was the Skunk. That Skunk was like a shuttle to transport the admiral from one large or extra large ship to another as part of fleet management commanding ships in the fleet.

I sometimes use the captain's quarter as an admiral quarter when I'm on one of the carriers (the captain is always standing in the bridge anyways) and use it as a commanding office. If I want, I could stay in the admiral's quarter and just go external view on the map to see what the ships are doing and use property to communicate to captains clearly.

So you see, the game was designed to fly big ships as an admiral commanding captains to go where or do what you want them to do. This is different from doing it yourself in X2: The Threat where you fly smaller ships while remotely controlling other ships in the fleet.

As for X4: Foundation, it appears players can do both.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X3: Rebirth Wasn't Bad

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 26. Aug 20, 22:53

Just a slightly pedantic point but X Rebirth was not an X3 game.

Indeed it was a big departure from the obsolete and overstretched X2/X3 game engine. It tested out the brand new bespoke game engine and thus made continued development into X4 feasible.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 05:54

Happy to see more people appreciate what XR was trying to do. It was and is misunderstood, but the very rough launch also hurt a lot. It is still my favorite in many ways. If X4 and sequels can someday get more of XR’s atmosphere, universe design, effects, station and capital design, and sheer beauty, X could become almost too good. 😁
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

oceanway
x3tc

Post by oceanway » Wed, 9. Sep 20, 18:58

tomchk wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 05:54
Happy to see more people appreciate what XR was trying to do. It was and is misunderstood, but the very rough launch also hurt a lot. It is still my favorite in many ways. If X4 and sequels can someday get more of XR’s atmosphere, universe design, effects, station and capital design, and sheer beauty, X could become almost too good. 😁
That said and after reviewing the latest video on Youtube about 4.0 on Cradle of Humanity, I'm hoping it would beat Star Citizen. X Rebirth and X4 Foundation has the best stations in world, literally. However, Star Citizen is the best online space simulation game in the world and I want Egosoft to beat them in offline space simulation. Without combat soldiers of course.

Loving X Rebirth and will get into X4 Foundation soon.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 11. Jan 21, 11:45

They only missed a correct name: "X Freelancer" :D
With tons of mods it is greatly enjoyable now, more than X4 (for now)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 11. Jan 21, 11:50

@ Realspace: Was that a bump, a necro or a shameless plug for your mods - or all three? :D

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 11. Jan 21, 11:58

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 11. Jan 21, 11:50
@ Realspace: Was that a bump, a necro or a shameless plug for your mods - or all three? :D
naaa :D , I'm not using them anymore actually. Here it is, I have them deleted from signature :wink: . It is just my love for this game I had dropped at the very beginning. I was surprised by the good Freelancer's vibe it has now that is polished and full of mods (not mine in sig., I am doing new ones on top of the good ones). I am a patient old man, X4 can wait :mrgreen:

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 08:15

Realspace wrote:
Mon, 11. Jan 21, 11:45
They only missed a correct name: "X Freelancer" :D
With tons of mods it is greatly enjoyable now, more than X4 (for now)
Rather: "X-Privateer 3"

And yes it is enjoyable - in VR as well as on screen.

Also, I am sure there would be far less complaints about being able to only fly and upgrade 'one ship' in game if that ship were to be Han Solo's Millenium Falcon.

The game with lots of QOL mods makes it very enjoyable and not at all dated.

People should learn that there is 2 things that screw up your day:

1) Unfulfilled expectations: You played X, XBTF, X2, X3 and didn't read the label correctly or didn't quite understand the 'Rebirth' that came after the 'X' and were expecting something similar that just wasn't there, instead of enjoying the game for what it is.
2) Judgemental behaviour of others towards who you are and what you do. (This has nothing to do with X-Rebirth but was needed to make this list complete.)

If you can accomodate a no-expectations attitude and be non judgemental and have a no-care attitude in regards to people judging you, your days will always be sunny :-)

:mrgreen:

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 13:24

Rebirth and X2 were the most immersive of all the X series games for me. I figure it's because there felt a far stronger roleplaying element to both. Yes, as has been stated elsewhere in this thread, Rebirth was best enjoyed as a game in itself, and not by way of comparison. - And what frustrates me is that the 'prettiness' and vast feeling of Rebirth didn't make its way into X4. I've around 1,000 hours in X4 now, and own both DLCs, but the urge to go back to Rebirth is always there.

If Rebirth, by way of game engine design, is X4's parent, I feel it missed out on some of its more endearing qualities.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 13:35

Well said, Gavrushka. I strongly agree. X2 and XR are still the most immersive for me as well, and some things stripped away from XR are indeed unfortunate.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

ZodiacExplorer
x4

Post by ZodiacExplorer » Sat, 7. Aug 21, 20:08

I bought it at release, however my PC wasn't strong enough to handle it, I started playing it again yesterday and WOW.

It does lack some important elements from X3 games, I dislike some mechanics of the game. I can fully understand why most of the old fans felt disappointed,

At the same time I'm being blown away by how beautiful and atmospheric this game is, the sense of scale is out of this world and this is the first time that I'm actually enjoying the storyline in X games.

If the best elements of X Rebirth and X Reunion could be combined together it would be the best "space" game on the market.

John Colman

Post by John Colman » Sun, 8. Aug 21, 11:36

ZodiacExplorer wrote:
Sat, 7. Aug 21, 20:08
If the best elements of X Rebirth and X Reunion could be combined together it would be the best "space" game on the market.
What kind of elements would that be?

ZodiacExplorer
x4

Post by ZodiacExplorer » Sun, 8. Aug 21, 15:28

John Colman wrote:
Sun, 8. Aug 21, 11:36
ZodiacExplorer wrote:
Sat, 7. Aug 21, 20:08
What kind of elements would that be?
X Rebirth graphics, atmosphere, storytelling, the sense of scale, some of the game mechanics (I like those drones), those huuuuuge stations :) more complex factions

X3 Reunion ability to pilot any ship, ship modding, persistent ships (at least some of them),

I'm still forming opinions on some things, and trying to figure out how mechanics would work... for instance the question of traveling from place to place greatly influences the sense of scale.

Ch_R0me
x4

Post by Ch_R0me » Sun, 29. Aug 21, 00:14

oceanway wrote:
Wed, 26. Aug 20, 22:39
After playing X3: Rebirth, I realized that players who complained about it being bad didn't look at what the game was designed for. Unlike X2: The Threat where players were able to switch ships and fly them as captains, the X3: Rebirth was designed to fly big ships, not as captain, but as admiral commanding captains. The only ship Ren Otani or the player was captain of was the Skunk. That Skunk was like a shuttle to transport the admiral from one large or extra large ship to another as part of fleet management commanding ships in the fleet.
I agree with you (almost, since X:R is a separate title apart from X2 and X3 series, a sequel). While I've played X: BtF; I was also forced to pilot one ship.
Spoiler
Show
Along with the game from fellow german company, which the game itself goes by name Darkstar One.
While Skunk may be treated as a "personal shuttle" to go from place to place (even "catch a ride" while docked in other ships), I personally use it in intended way - as a ship to shoot whatever wants to shot me with "Plasma [Partcle Repeater] Minigun", "Plasma Cannon" or "Particle Shotgun [aka Inertial Hammer]". With the side of Heavy Laser of course. :D
oceanway wrote:
Wed, 26. Aug 20, 22:39
I sometimes use the captain's quarter as an admiral quarter when I'm on one of the carriers (the captain is always standing in the bridge anyways) and use it as a commanding office. If I want, I could stay in the admiral's quarter and just go external view on the map to see what the ships are doing and use property to communicate to captains clearly.
Yeah. Even more after installing dozens of mods (including one adding a fully featured (albeit generic) ship decks).

Code: Select all

“Space is for everybody. It’s not just for a few people in science or math, or for a select group of astronauts.
That’s our new frontier out there, and it’s everybody’s business to know about space.”

– Christa McAuliffe.

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sun, 5. Sep 21, 16:10

X:R had a terrible endgame. Stations cannot be destroyed, ships are spawned out of thin air, cannot build your own shipyard, and their wasn't anything that the player could accomplish after completing the plot and getting all the steam achievements. Not being able to impact the game world in any meaningful way got boring fast. X-R was the first X game where mods where not optional, you have to use mods. I was there, and it was that bad. I might still play X3 again someday, but I will never install X-R again.

Ch_R0me
x4

Post by Ch_R0me » Tue, 7. Sep 21, 21:42

Karmaticdamage wrote:
Sun, 5. Sep 21, 16:10
X:R had a terrible endgame. Stations cannot be destroyed, ships are spawned out of thin air, cannot build your own shipyard, and their wasn't anything that the player could accomplish after completing the plot and getting all the steam achievements. Not being able to impact the game world in any meaningful way got boring fast. X-R was the first X game where mods where not optional, you have to use mods. I was there, and it was that bad. I might still play X3 again someday, but I will never install X-R again.
Indeed, also had to use a ton of mods to even complete building the station, not mentioning to fix some remaining bugs...

Code: Select all

“Space is for everybody. It’s not just for a few people in science or math, or for a select group of astronauts.
That’s our new frontier out there, and it’s everybody’s business to know about space.”

– Christa McAuliffe.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 27. Sep 21, 00:38

Not to plug myself here, but X Rebirth with my CWIR mod is an amazing game in my opinion.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 12:48

BlackRain wrote:
Mon, 27. Sep 21, 00:38
Not to plug myself here, but X Rebirth with my CWIR mod is an amazing game in my opinion.
Narrator: Blackrain just plugged himself.

I've just reinstalled the game after finding where my old saves were hidden. Might have to give your mod a try.

Thanks for the heads up.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 21:33

Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 28. Sep 21, 12:48
BlackRain wrote:
Mon, 27. Sep 21, 00:38
Narrator: Blackrain just plugged himself.

I've just reinstalled the game after finding where my old saves were hidden. Might have to give your mod a try.

Thanks for the heads up.
I have no idea what you are implying here sir.

By the way, make sure to check out the CWIR WIKI. CWIR adds a ridiculous amount of features to Rebirth, just so you know. For example, Boarding and capturing stations. Capturing ships and scavenging them (at your shipyard) for parts. Building ships at shipyards and selling them to other factions. Donating stations/ships to factions to support them. Factions expanding and contracting, rebuilding stations and building additional stations, new ships, station destruction, Faction elimination, alliances, bringing a faction back from elimination, capturing/boarding and building Xenon ships, etc. Just a lot of good stuff.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 22:13

BlackRain's TLDR version (in a thread titled 'Rebirth Wasn't Bad')

'Actually, without my mod, Rebirth was a little bit bad.' :D <runs away>

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”