X Online ?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cyberdine
x3

X Online ?

Post by Cyberdine » Fri, 4. Nov 05, 20:05

Is there any chance that egosoft would make an X Online game ? That would be so cool. Not that I don`t like the new X3, I think its fantastic :mrgreen: :thumb_up: . But just wondered if theres ever been any talk of a possible online X game.

Galaxy613
x4

Re: X Online ?

Post by Galaxy613 » Fri, 4. Nov 05, 20:08

Cyberdine wrote:Is there any chance that egosoft would make an X Online game ? That would be so cool. Not that I don`t like the new X3, I think its fantastic :mrgreen: :thumb_up: . But just wondered if theres ever been any talk of a possible online X game.
There has been sense X2. It's Egosoft's goal TO make X-Online.
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 4. Nov 05, 20:12

Galaxy613 wrote:
Cyberdine wrote:Is there any chance that egosoft would make an X Online game ? That would be so cool. Not that I don`t like the new X3, I think its fantastic :mrgreen: :thumb_up: . But just wondered if theres ever been any talk of a possible online X game.
I hope they don't build it because if they do I will have to kiss real life goodbye :|

Schizosimian
x3

Post by Schizosimian » Fri, 4. Nov 05, 20:18

Somewhere, someone mentioned WOW as a shining example of Blizzards legendary'ness - and they are legendary, generally putting out such well rounded, finished games, though they are far from perfect.

Anyway, point is, think WoW and specifically the lag problems. Its a pretty big map, or set of maps, but there is still bad lag, and lets not even mention Ironforge. Imagine what would happen if X was online, you'd need the modern version of deep blue to cope with Argon Prime and lets not even consider the connection issues....

Personally, i doubt that the technology is currently widely available enough for X-Online to be a reality, that said, at least it should give Egosoft plenty of time to develop the game :)!

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Fri, 4. Nov 05, 20:18

camera4 wrote:
Galaxy613 wrote:
I hope they don't build it because if they do I will have to kiss real life goodbye :|
Real life.........hmm.real life
rings some bells heard about it
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 4. Nov 05, 20:18

The Online Universe site has been around for a long time (long before X² came out). It is a long term plan, and is still probably years away though.

Schizosimian
x3

Post by Schizosimian » Fri, 4. Nov 05, 20:23

CBJ wrote:The Online Universe site has been around for a long time (long before X² came out). It is a long term plan, and is still probably years away though.
as a member of this forum will i be automatically informed when it goes into open beta testing? when i try and register it says my username has already been taken...

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Fri, 4. Nov 05, 20:25

Laughing_Monkey wrote:
CBJ wrote:The Online Universe site has been around for a long time (long before X² came out). It is a long term plan, and is still probably years away though.
as a member of this forum will i be automatically informed when it goes into open beta testing? when i try and register it says my username has already been taken...
Because it sends you to THIS forum. :roll: And plus X:OL isn't even in Pre-Alpha stage.
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Fri, 4. Nov 05, 20:47

Galaxy613 wrote: And plus X:OL isn't even in Pre-Alpha stage.
even thats pushing it

current estimate from me is between 2010 and 2015, depending on the funding/technological issues

Schizosimian
x3

Post by Schizosimian » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 16:55

perhaps egosofts release dates are loosely based on the titles of the Space Odyssey Series...

Backzlash
x3

Post by Backzlash » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 17:14

You could try eve-online. Thats problably the best one available right now. But I quit playing cause i felt the game was to linear. The things to do wasn't that well rounded.

heg0b0
x3

Post by heg0b0 » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 17:18

Sounds all nice and dandy , but i rather wish they would spend the time on fixing x3 before creating an online x game !
Dont polute space !!

Greb Jnnayr

Post by Greb Jnnayr » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 17:41

Would a completly player controlled economy work very well?
How about when new players enter the game, and they try to make thier first factory, but then some player sends a fleet to destroy that station right away to get rid of competion, this wouldn't be very fun for the new player.
Will factories of players stay in the universe even when the player is offline, if so, then that player has no contoll of defending his own factories while he is gone, and if not then that can create an unstable economy.

There are many factors that need to be considered for the X-Onine game. They need to make sure that is fun for everybody no matter when they start the X-online game. I could see a whole lot of balances issues for an X-online game.
Home built System
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2GB PC2700 Ram
BFG Geforce 6800 GT OC 256MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
300GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache HD
DVD +/-RW

mac.wheeler
x4

Post by mac.wheeler » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 17:42

Anyone here ever play JumpGate?
/\/\@<
Pentium D830, Nvidia 7800GTX, 2Gb DDR2 667, Abit NI8-SLI, 2x200Gb SATA II Striped.

antman112
x4

Post by antman112 » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 17:46

Greb Jnnayr wrote:Would a completly player controlled economy work very well?
How about when new players enter the game, and they try to make thier first factory, but then some player sends a fleet to destroy that station right away to get rid of competion, this wouldn't be very fun for the new player.
Will factories of players stay in the universe even when the player is offline, if so, then that player has no contoll of defending his own factories while he is gone, and if not then that can create an unstable economy.

There are many factors that need to be considered for the X-Onine game. They need to make sure that is fun for everybody no matter when they start the X-online game. I could see a whole lot of balances issues for an X-online game.
x online is very far away no-one has any ider
the proplams of these will be sorted thowe thowe :)
sorry of any spelling mistakes

Backzlash
x3

Post by Backzlash » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 18:00

Greb Jnnayr wrote:Would a completly player controlled economy work very well?
Doesn't have to be like that. Each area/solar system could have different type of resources. Where the "newbie" areas only had resources to produce basic/cheap stuff. In these areas they could place a police/naval force that would help protect the station.

But to produce the most and the best goods you would need to place your station in a solarsystem far away without protection. Here is where the high end battles of stations would occur. And as for defense they could implement various defense structures that defends if you're not online.

youki
x3tc

Post by youki » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 19:12

I really hope they'll implement X-OU on the PS3 platform. The next-gen console has enough power to cope the current X3. In the next 3 year to come, HD Tv and console gaming will be the trend. More underdeveloped MMOs are aiming the console as well. PC just have to much variables to account for. People always say console games play well out of the box. If PC game developers use all the time spend on coping with different PC hardwares on actural game contencts development, PC games will be a lot better. Anyway, Egosoft needs more supporter to even consider X-OU. I bought 2 copies of X3, just to show my support. :wink:

cccaci

Post by cccaci » Tue, 27. Dec 05, 23:16

youki wrote:I really hope they'll implement X-OU on the PS3 platform. The next-gen console has enough power to cope the current X3. In the next 3 year to come, HD Tv and console gaming will be the trend. More underdeveloped MMOs are aiming the console as well. PC just have to much variables to account for. People always say console games play well out of the box. If PC game developers use all the time spend on coping with different PC hardwares on actural game contencts development, PC games will be a lot better. Anyway, Egosoft needs more supporter to even consider X-OU. I bought 2 copies of X3, just to show my support. :wink:

Wow Youki... just wow. Now I've really lost all faith in computer lusers.

Anyway, has anyone else noticied a majority of the unique features originally proposed in X2:OL are currently employed by Eve Online (TM)? Don't get me wrong, I'm not adverting here, just wondering why its never mentioned as a comparison.
If Egosoft came up with the idea before CCP, its most unfortunate it wasn't executed in time. A single instance universe is still "bleeding edge" for MMORPGs today.[/b]

Lidza
x3

Post by Lidza » Tue, 27. Dec 05, 23:40

I just hope that X would never be just "another" EVE-online crap.

Online in terms of server-client to specific number of users instead of something like EVE.

X Online for me is one server, max 64 users (or less); preferably LAN or internet... to play online between friends. As example of server-client something like Battlefield2.

I will not subscribe another Online (such as EVE)... all hanky-panky mix-mex crap such as EVE (that is heavily populated by griffers). Idiots that rampage through out systems killing everthing just to spoil/cause pain to other players.

If the server-client becomes available then I will be happy to buy both (server and the client)
Last edited by Lidza on Tue, 27. Dec 05, 23:45, edited 2 times in total.

Flipside72
x3

Post by Flipside72 » Tue, 27. Dec 05, 23:40

X-Online was a pipe dream long before EvE was official, though that doesn't definately mean it out-dates it, since I'm not sure how long EvE was in development.

Well, it's not surprising, since EvE and X were both at heart inspired by 'Elite'. I suppose theres only a certain amount of ways to do a Space-trading/combat game.

Theres another one on the way called Infinity, PC based, looks incredible.

As for PS3, actually, consoles are going the other way, already the PS3 and XBox360 have game patching facilities built in. The reason computers had more variables was, to a large part, because until recently, they were a lot more complex, but as consoles near the quality of PCs they are also approaching the complexity..

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”