Terraformer Dreams - Chapter Six (complete)

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

The Zig
x3tc

Terraformer Dreams - Chapter Six (complete)

Post by The Zig » Thu, 3. Nov 05, 01:24

Story so far:
Chapter One - The Fly-Through Sector
Chapter Two - Danger is Coming...
Chapter Three - Scramble
Chapter Four - The Nexus
Chapter Five - Classified Information

Chapter Six – Ghosts of the Passed

History teaches everything including the future.
Lamartine

Part One: Epsilon wing

Year 742 – twenty-two years ago...
Seven battered Argon Elites spluttered through through the wreckage in towards the Argon Two. The young, beardless Ban Danna watched over them from his office in the carrier. As the ships made final docking approach Ban closed his eyes and let out a breath. His head slumped forward. It was over.
“We did it, Ban!” Elton Simons strode into the room. “I knew we could.”
Ban sighed.
“Ban, time to celebrate! We've beaten the Xenon!”
“It'll take us years to recover from this,” Ban muttered. “Do you know how many ships we lost?”
“Irrelevant. The Xenon are gone for good! We killed the Shipyard – do you know what that means?”
“Yes,” Ban answered wearily.
“A death-blow. The Xenon ships that exist right now are the only Xenon that will ever exist. They can't build any more. We've won, Ban. We've won the war.”
“I just didn't... No. You're right.” Ban lifted his head. “You're right we've won. Now's time to celebrate. We can worry later.”
A comms signal beeped. 'Epsilon wing have landed.'
“Epsilon wing,” Ban sighed again. “All seven of them! I can't believe they're all that's left of the Beta force.”
“Did the job. That's what counts.”
“Let's congratulate the pilots.”

“I remember,” said Defence Commander Moor. “I was on board the Dante, stationed back in Brennan's Triumph, I remember hearing when you killed the Shipyard. It was out of the blue. We could hardly believe it.”

Interview for an unknown news network
Interviewer: Mak Orijin, you're becoming quite a celebrity! How do you feel about your recent fame?
Mak Orijin: I don't know. It's weird. It's nice, but wherever I go people are all “Hey Mak! It's you! Wow! You killed the Xenon!” Even Split are nice to me!? Do you know how... It's odd. It's really just really, really odd.
Interviewer: Well earned. The last seven members of Epsilon wing, led by you, broke through the line and destroyed the Xenon Shipyard. In fact – according to the videos released by the Navy – it was your Hornet that killed it. How do you feel about that?
Mak Orijin: It's good we did it, but we weren't the only ones got through... we lost friends out there. A lot. It was... honestly it was hard. We lost friends, we'll never forget, and... in the end it was for them. They made it happen. We finished the Xenon for, their behalf. Because they got us there. They died for peace and... we're. We're overwhelmed.
Interviewer: They won't be forgotten. Xenon attacks have fallen by ninety-four percent in the week since you destroyed the Shipyard. For the first week in eighty-seven years, there have been NO Xenon-related civilian fatalities. And things can only get better. How does this make you feel.
Mak Orijin: It's good. Obviously. It's great.
Interviewer: The media is calling you 'The Magnificent Seven'!
Mak Orijin: [laughs]
Interviewer: Rumour has it the system will be named Nopileo's Memorial. After all the sacrifices how do you – how does Epsilon wing feel about this?
Mak Orijin: No, it's fine. It's appropriate.
Interviewer: There are rumours an East gate has been discovered in neighbouring Hatikvah's Faith. There's some speculation that Xenon may have fled through. Can you confirm or deny this?
Mak Orijin: At the moment, no. I've been away from the front this last week. I really don't know what's going on over there. But in any case, there's a lot of pilots wanting payback. Epsilon wing are raring to go! One more system to hide in won't save the Xenon now!
Interviewer: [laughs] With fighters like you, I'm sure it won't!

“I remember. Back then, I managed a Power Plant in the Wall,” Reynolds said. “I read about it every day as they started to uncover the network of new gates and systems. We were so disappointed the Xenon got away.”
“They didn't just cut and run,” Moor said. “We had to push them out. I fought in Montalaar. That was where they made their first real stand.”

“This is exactly what we don't need,” cried Ban Danna. “We're over-extended. We've been drawn into an un-winnable war with the Xenon. Half our forces are half way across the universe holding some useless patch of space.”
“We have to push on,” an Admiral countered. “This opportunity...”
“Ha! Do you know how many ships we lost in Aladna?”
“Well, not exactly, I...”
“Well the Split know 'exactly',” said Ban. “You can count on that. They're watching. They know 'exactly' how many ships we lost in Aladna, and they know 'exactly' how vulnerable we are.”
Behind him, Elton Simons nodded gravely.

Gossip column, issue 13 vol 7, 'Read Me' Magazine
Ace-with-the-face Mak Orijin and holo-soap sensation Kara Whiley were spotted smoozing last night in fashionable nightclub Elysium in President's End.
Fellow club-goers report that the two spent most of the evening in each other's company. For hours they whispered sweet nothings over exotic Stott-cocktails in the private bar before heading down to a cosy corner of the dance-floor. After nearly an hour's slow-dancing the two left together in a taxi.
Ms Whiley's agent was tight-lipped this morning. Similarly, the Argon Navy – ever true to form – refused to give any information about Orijin's movements. However sources close to Mak Orijin suggest he is quite taken with the young actress – and honestly, what's not to like?!

“Yes, sir,” Mak barked.
“Mak Orijin,” the man said. “Elton Simons.”
“Good afternoon, sir.”
“Called you here for a reason, Mak. A new development. You've heard of Argon Secret Service.”
“Of course, Ban Danna's the head. He led the Danna's Chance and the Nopileo's Memorial campaigns.”
“Correct,” Simons nodded. “So you are probably aware that the Service operates solely as an advisor – guiding and utilising Navy resources in delicate situations.”
“Yes. That sounds right.”
“This is to change.”
“Okay.”
“Navy's too big to effectively control information,” Simons said. “A security risk. And the resources it provides, hardware and personnel, are too variable. We can no longer use them. Understand?”
“I think so.”
“Sometimes the Navy will provide top-notch pilots like you. And sometimes average pilots. Sometimes poor pilots. Occasionally no pilot at all. Often there are no spare ships, or sometimes something sub-standard. We can no longer operate like this.”
“I see.”
“Been decided. A new force is to be made – the Argon Special Forces. A unit under the direct control of Secret Services.”
Mak nodded.
Elton Simons went on: “Best pilots, best equipment, best intelligence. We'll take care of all the things too delicate, or just too important for the Navy. An elite unit.”
“Wow.”
“To the point. Mak, I want you and your 'Magnificent Seven' to be our first ASF pilots. What do you say?”

“Why was it Simons, not Danna?”
“I wondered that,” Jo said. “By then Ban wasn't really heading the Service any more. He was the official head, of course. He still played a role, had influence, but after the new Xenon War he got too famous for the Service. He had a system named after him! The Service needs unknowns. People who can be anywhere at any time. After the war Ban became more of a figure-head: the cuddly face of the Service! He's too high profile to get his hands dirty, that's where Simons came in.”

Mak Orijin's Personal Log
'Obstacles are those things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.'
One of Simons' sayings. He's awesome! Most people don't like him because he's 'too direct'. They don't get it. I heard him called 'amoral', what does THAT mean?
He just tells it like it is, and in terms of strategy he could match any of those Paranid grand-masters. He moves his pieces with such direction. Ruthless. Nothing gets in the way of the objective. Pure strategy. I was talking to him a few minutes ago, he has vision.
Heading back to President's End soon, I'm looking forward to seeing K. We've almost finished here, again thanks to Elton. Thanks to his strategy, we cracked the Xenon supply line. There's no way they'll hold on to Montalaar now. The Navy'll break them. And we managed to look strong throughout. Those damn Split'll think twice about attacking now!
I love Secret Service. I feel like Jaym Bonn. By comparison, the Navy's a joke.

“I don't like it,” Kara whispered.
“What?” Mak grunted.
Mak's head rested on the pillow, his eyes half-closed. Kara's dark hair splayed across the pillow in front of him. As she spoke her breath brushed his neck, a fingernail stroked gently across his chest.
“All this cloak and dagger stuff,” she went on. “I don't like it.”
“It's just a job. I love it! You know, I shouldn't have even...”
“I know. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. It's just...” she trailed off.
“What?”
“It worries me. The service, can you really trust them?”
“Of course,” he laughed. “They're the ones who keep Argon safe.”
“It's just. I read things about them.”
“What things.”
“I don't know. The whole 'code of silence' thing. Their secret agendas. I mean they're not accountable. They just seem a bit... sinister.”
Mak laughed at this last word.
“Thankfully, you couldn't be more wrong,” he smiled. “You know I've got to go in an hour.”
“An hour?” She frowned, “And you're wasting my time talking?!”

The 'magnificent seven' sat around a semi-circular table facing Simons
“Been a development,” Simons said. “The Split are moving to attack.”

Seven sleek Argon Elites bore down on the the marked ship, a Paranid Zeus. A dossier uncovered by the Argon Secret Service showed that the Paranid had developed a new destroyer-class Hornet missile. The dossier identified this specially modified carrier as the ship that would deliver this devastating missile to the Split military build-up in Family Whi. The logic was basic: destroy the weapons, slow the build-up, avert the war. Simple.
Its shields were gone. The Zeus rolled over, prostrate in space. Plasma blasts tore holes across the underbelly. Small vents of glowing gas burst through the cracks, plasma boiled away into space. Finally an explosive decompression shattered the ship and, before Mak's eyes, thick clouds of writhing Paranid poured through the cracks.
“What the..?” Mak curved away.
This was more than any crew. Much more. Bodies still bled from the ship's many wounds. No sign of high explosives here, just endless bodies. It seemed thousands of luckless Paranid had poured into the void before the ship finally exploded, pulping the fragile little bodies. Mak's eyes stared, his hands were shaking. A thin film of blood coated the left side of his ship.

“Families,” said Jo. “From Emperor Mines. Going out to start a new life in the stars. We killed them all.”

Part Two: Going Down

“There is no problem,” Simons stated.
“No problem?” Ban Danna was incredulous. “We just killed...”
“In the past, Ban. Can't be helped. Leave it to me and this will be handled.”
“I...” Ban sighed exasperated.
“The seven are being transferred. Our records now say they've been elsewhere for the past month. We're covered. We got away with it.”
“That doesn't change what happened!”
“Nothing can,” Elton said slowly. “Which is why it's important that I handle this.”
Ban closed his eyes. “I hope you're right.”
“I am,” Simons said with fake certainty.
Simon's mind raced as he walked back to his office. He had discovered that somewhere in the Service there was a leak. It had to be plugged fast. Of course Ban did not need to know this yet. Already Elton had learned one important lesson: only tell Ban about a problem when you've already solved it.

It drifted through Light Home. From the outside it looked like an ordinary Lifter – just like every other Lifter, except, looking more closely, one of the battered cargo-pods had a life-support system rigged up. This wasn't unusual. Sometimes ships were rigged up like this to transport live cattle or other unfortunate beasts.
Inside this battered, greasy cargo pod, floated seven of the most capable pilots of their generation.
“Mak?”
“Huh.”
“You okay?”
Mak opened his eyes to the darkness, it made no difference. “Surviving. You?”
“I hate zero-g. Think I'm going to throw up.”
“Make sure you use the bag this time,” someone said.
No gravity, no lights, no windows – it was hardly first-class travel.
“I can't take this much longer.”
“Seven jumps puts us in Light Home,” Mak observed. “Not far now.”
“How did they get it so wrong?”
“What?”
“Intelligence. I still can't... What we did. It's awful.”
A silence followed.
“Mak?” the man called into the darkness.
“Mak?”

A veteran Argon Captain – tall, broad and handsome – he had twenty years of proud Naval service behind him. A reputation for being straight-forward, dependable. This was the man who now knelt whimpering at Elton Simons' feet.
Baby blue eyes stared up at Simons from this broad, sturdy face – the face of a traitor? It was still hard to believe. This Captain had been selling information to the Split for years. Years! The evidence was irrefutable. But... this Captain? It still surprised Simons. This Captain who had been so solid, so dependable, so... normal. For all this time. He had flown clean under Simons' radar.
“The best you can hope is to survive this,” Simons said coldly.
The blue eyes closed, dripping with regret. The Captain turned his face down.
“There'll be a Split hit-squad on you by now,” Elton continued. The blue-eyes flashed open. “You look surprised? Did you think they'd take care of you? Ha! They will... in their own special way! You know, they detest you more than I do. You do know that? Split never pay with credits when they can pay with bullets. Especially to spies. Traitors. Scum. And especially now you're captured. You're a security risk. I wouldn't want to be in your boots.”
“I...”
“They'll probably be in the system, by now,” Simons absently observed.
“Please,” came the little voice.
“The only thing standing between them... and you... is me. So come on... What do you have to say for yourself?”

“I always heard that. I just never believed it,” the Defence Commander muttered.
Jo's dreary eyes moved to him, “What?”
“That Secret Service was behind that attack on that Paranid colony-ship. I remember when the rumours were going around, a lot of the younger pilots saying Argon Intel were behind the incident. But the officers, we just thought it was some childish conspiracy theory.”
“Well now you know.”
“But that doesn't add up," Moor argued. "I remember, it was Argon Intelligence that caught you.”
“Yeah... I was just coming round to that.”

Intelligence Memo – Classified Level: 1, Seraphim {not to be declassified}
Subject: Emergency Procedure
An emergency has arisen. Our problems are severe. Our only solution is equally severe. This memo will provide key personnel with relevant facts, read at your earliest convenience. This information may NOT be retransmitted.
Captain Brown's capture was invaluable in safeguarding Argon interests. This traitor had exposed us to an unprecedented degree. Interrogation has revealed the following:-
- intelligence data planted by Cpt Brown (on behalf of the Split) indicated that a carrier-class Hornet exists. This is untrue.
- intelligence data planted by Cpt Brown (on behalf of the Split) specifically identified a Paranid ship said to be 'smuggling' said missiles. This was untrue.
- Since our strike against said ship, Cpt Brown has transmitted authentic files and evidence identifying the seven ASF pilots involved.
- a major Split force is forming in Family Whi.
The Split are gearing up for war against the Boron. We now know the Split engineered our attack on the Paranid colony-ship. The Split intend to use this atrocity to engineer a war between us and the Paranid, this is to prevent our intervention when they move against the Boron. In the next few days, we expect the Split to release files proving our pilots were the attackers, and highlighting the links to ASF. This will cause a war.
With our forces depleted and over-extended, with the Boron in a similar state, we cannot afford this war. It must be averted at any cost. Our only option is to sacrifice the pilots known as 'the magnificent seven'. A cover story has been prepared...

AFN – News Buletin
Magnificent Murderers
Seven Argon combat-aces were arrested today charged with terrorism and murder. The charges centre around the destruction of the Paranid colony-ship
Faith's Strife, which caused the death of several thousand Paranid. The group of pilots – formerly known as the 'magnificent seven' – were picked up by Navy forces in Red Light, as they tried to flee Argon space in a converted Lifter. Captured pilots included Kanyo Kess, Mak Orijin and Ares Gardna.
- Shock -
“It was quite a shock,” confided one researcher. “These pilots were personal heroes of mine. It's a shock to find your heroes are really terrorists.”
The arrests followed an investigation by Argon Intelligence into extremist groups operating in Federal space. The investigation found that all pilots were associates of Alan Pert, a Pirate with known extremist views. It is believed they are also members of 'Human Rights', an extremist militia which opposes all trade with other races.
- Mislead -
The pilots will be charged next week at a closed hearing on Artur. It is expected that the government will deny calls from the Paranid for the pilots to be tried in Paranid courts.
“It's an open-and-shut case. We have video and audio footage of the atrocity,” a representative of Argon Intelligence told us. “We have every faith that the Paranid will see justice done...
“It's sad to see our bright, young pilots manipulated and mislead like this. To let themselves be used in such hateful actions... These were our heroes. Their legacy has been forever marred.”
The destruction of the Paranid colony-ship
Faith's Strife last week cost the lives of over four thousand Paranid civilians, including nearly a thousand children.

“Sentenced to life, hard labour on Artur.”
“They just let you take the fall?” Reynolds asked.
“What else could they do?” asked Jo. “You couldn't move for Split and Paranid spies making sure that justice was served. We were on our own! If ASF had been caught trying to get us off – and they would have been caught – it would have proved ASF involvement and provoked war.
"Besides which, they had a pretty full-time job just keeping us from getting kidnapped by enemy agents!”
Moor sighed, “Right... So far I'm following. Where I get confused is how this ends up with you flying for me.”
Jo closed his eyes and let his head roll back. Finally he leaned forward and rested his jaw on his hands. He yawned loudly...
“Okay...”

Part Three: Survivor Guilt

“Ban, no.” Simons' tone was that you'd use on a wilful child. “They'd be dead within a week, we'd be at war within three.”
“Don't treat me like a child, Elton. I am telling you... I am
ordering you to look into ways to get them out of there.”
“There is no viable way to get the seven off Artur, they will have to serve their sentence... Fourteen!” Simons voice rose to cut off an interruption. “Fourteen spies, that we know of. Probably more? The six Paranid just want revenge. The eight Split? They're waiting for us to show our hand; that will mean war. You know this.”
“Serve their sentence? So we leave them to rot, to die in there? That's what 'life' means. They're our best, Elton, and it was our... your mistake that put them there.”
“A necessary sacrifice.”
Ban Danna felt a rare rise of rage. He wanted to punch someone. He had a good idea who. He liked these kids; he felt attached, paternal. Where so many had died a futile, burning death in his “ambitious” attack on the Xenon shipyard, these seven came through. Against all odds, they triumphed. They washed away the guilt, silenced the ghosts; they gave it meaning. They came back.
“I will not accept that,” Ban said. “But until we Can get them out, the least we can do is make it more bearable for them.”
Simons opened his mouth to object; Ban stopped him with a glare and hit the comms.
A face appeared, “Yes, sir?”
“Ban Danna here.”
“Yes.”
“Contact Artur. Mag Helter is Governor. Get the seven moved somewhere safe. Admin, maybe. I do not want them working mines, orbitals or munition. Nothing like that. And get them on A block, I don't want them down in those subterranean hell-holes.” Ban glanced to Simons. “Any questions, tell her it's on My authority.”
The face on-screen looked nervous, “You want me to use your name?”
Ban's glare went a notch more severe.
“Yes sir!” the face said hastily. Ban killed the comm; Simons shook his head.
“You'll learn,” Ban said. “There are times you must take risks to do the right thing. It’s just as vital as being able to do what’s necessary. Otherwise, what are we fighting for?”
“Work to do,” Simons said coldly. Ban nodded as Simons left the room.
No sooner had the door closed than Simons dashed for his quarters and ran to the comms unit, hit the button. The same face appeared.
“Yes, sir,” it said.
“Kris, you haven't contacted the prison yet?”
“Thought I'd wait for your clearance on that one, sir.”
“Wise,” Elton nodded. Ban could be so reckless.

Personal Log: Jun Kuzane, Warden #433C, Artur Federal Prison
Nightmare day. Trouble on my watch again today. Block J13... nightmare. Aircon’s died again, and we're what? A half-mile under. Hotter than hell down here. It's got everyone on a short fuse. And those damn pirates. I said they shouldn't put so many in the same block, it's an obvious recipe for disaster. I’m sure it’s against protocol. Anyway, they found out those seven pilots we moved in are ex-Navy. God knows how they found out, but it sure wound 'em up.
They ripped into those pilots. Full-on beating them down, a whole mob. Nothing we could do. Just me and ol’ Frank on watch, versus twenty pirates!? Ha! We just turned the cameras away and did word puzzles till the noise died down. Called medical.
I suppose we could’ve raised the alarm, but that would’ve just pissed of the supervisors, what with their 'performance targets' and all. Besides, raise an alarm for that scum? Those pilots deserved it. Killing all those Paranid... for what? I don't understand xenophobes. What's to hate? We're all aliens to someone.
And it wasn't like the pirates were gonna actually KILL them – those pirates worked the sulphur mines before, they don't wanna go back.

The Artur officials allowed the seven to meet up again in the community centre. It was a special occasion.
“My birthday?” spat Gaiya Fox. “To celebrate..? Another year in here?”
“Sure,” Ares said. “You’re still alive. Happy Birthday. All you could wish for!”
“Or not,” Chireen Navna uttered.
“It’s more than those Paranid had,” Mak grumbled.
“No!” Kanyo roared. “It’s not right!”
“Hey!” A warden called over, widened his eyes and put his finger to his lips.
Kanyo scowled down at the group holding his open hand. “Five years.” He said. “Five. Half a decade. How much longer are we gonna wait?”
“Don’t think I’ll be here too long,” Chireen sang softly with a half-smile. A silence fell. Chireen had been talking about death a lot lately. People were worried.
Finally, Mak muttered, “We’re exactly where we deserve to be. We...”
“We killed some Paranid so now we’re here? What? The universe is in cosmic balance now, Mak?” Kanyo shouted, “Screw that!” His voice dropped. “Screw that. It’s not right. It wasn’t our fault. We shouldn’t be here. Not like this. We were following orders. The Service should help us.”
“Like That would ever happen,” snorted Ares.

Elton Simons read through the morning’s Secret Service News bulletins. Someone called Akeela was trying to make artificial suns. Wow! The potential of such a technology! Another message, this had been flagged by an underling.
“Huh?” The magnificent Seven? That was a blast from the past! It must be eight years since he last thought of them. It seemed one woman had tried to take her own life. He sighed, it was well overdue. Not a nice place, Artur.
“Yesterday at 1517, Chireen Navna proceeded into a live mine shaft shortly prior to drilling, and waited with the intent of being pulped by the drill-head... Only a broken drive-shaft had saved her... She is being put on suicide watch.”
“All’s well that ends well.” Although thinking about it, he wasn’t sure it had ended well. If the seven wiped themselves out somehow... well, it would make things simpler, especially with the Paranid...
He thought about this for a moment. No. No, not an option.
Elton returned to the main screen and erased the file. It would only unbalance Ban if he read this. Ban needed to stay focussed on the bigger picture.
File erased.
Out of sight, out of mind.

Paranid Intelligence Memo, 126.233.155.12001 - Case: Dk2332c
Teams in place. Finally, seven jazura since the atrocity, justice will be done. Our agents within the prison administration have set it up. Our forces report ready, awaiting final orders. By the Duke's wisdom, the seven will meet justice.

The orbital structure gleamed in raw sunlight. Around it, like swarming midges, space-suited prisoners worked: repainting, refitting. This was one of the orbital security satellites, the all seeing eyes of Artur. The giant planet rolled underneath them, unimaginably large in the night. Among the many tiny figures drifting around the structure were the magnificent seven and much of the pirate clan.
There were no guards out here. No need for them. Who can brawl in a space suit? And forget escape! Where could they go? Even prisoners had no idea where the Planet actually was in the universe. If any did, they'd know they were years from anywhere at suit-speed; and the air-supply lasted maybe an hour. The only air-suppliers were on the structure. So even though they floated free in space, they were prisoners for life.
The suits were also radio-silenced to prevent conspiring. A prisoner could speak only to himself and a comm technician. All in all, it was a hard ten hours in the cold silence of space. Thankfully it was their last night out here and they were moving to admin tomorrow. As always, eight automated Elites watched over them. Quite unnecessary, but their presence sent a clear message.
Mak was replacing a Solar panel on one of the structural fins. He slid it in top-first, then clipped in the bottom. The click of it locking into place reverberated through his suit, a crash of sound in the silence. A reflection in the panel caught his eye. Something moving. He spun around. Funny... A ship was closing. The pick-up wasn't due for hours yet. As his eyes adjusted he saw more of them. Lots more. What was going on? As they drew nearer, he made out the colour of the exhaust.
“Paranid?” A new light appeared. Smaller. “Shak!” A missile.
It drifted for them slowly. Too slowly... Hornet. He glanced around. No-one had seen it yet. And no radio!
Mak hit the thrusters, blasting him backward into the structure. He crashed with a jolt that went through the whole structure. Prisoners who happened to be touching the station at that moment heard, glanced in his direction, followed his gestures. Soon, they were warning those around them and, slowly, word rippled out. Soon a good number of prisoners were jetting away from the station as fast as they could.
But still some were working, and the missile was still... Is that..?
“Ares!” Mak screamed. No effect. Obviously. Mak blasted toward him. Space-suit, so slow. He was passing the hub when a new ship flashed by, just metres in front of him.
“Bakatz!” Stunned, he spun around after it.
It was first of many. Countless Pirate scouts now streamed by him. So many! Impulse rays dashed from that leading ship and distantly the Hornet missile shattered, the warhead erupting a safe distance away. The scouts had passed the structure now; they clashed into the Paranid and the night sky lit up with weapon fire.
“What the hell?”
Space suits were gliding in every direction now – some still fleeing the satellite, others flying back to its shelter. Ares was beside Mak now. Where were those Elites? They were meant to be guarding them? By the look of it, they hadn’t even powered up. Some prisoners had adopted a spread-eagle pose in space, legs and arms stretched out. It looked unnatural. What was their problem?
Pirate M5s started to fall fast under the guns of Paranid M3s and M4s. Mak had a feeling this was the long-awaited Paranid hit-squad. The Pirates must be here to protect them, but why? Pirates outnumbered Paranid three to one; that wouldn’t last.
A large pirate transporter crept around the structure just a few hundred metres from him. It was larger and slower than the scouts. Without warning prisoners started to vanish from space. A moment later, all the spread-eagled prisoners had gone.
“The Pirate clan!” Mak realised too late. These Pirates weren't here to save them, this was a prison break! The spread-eagle pose was the signal. It was their last shift out here, last chance for the hit-squad and last chance for the prison break. The Pirates and Paranid just happened to clash. Bad timing. Now they had their clan, they were bound to retreat! Then the Paranid would... Why were those Elites still sitting there?!?
Ares blasted past Mak. Where was he going? He signalled Mak to follow. A few more space-suits were ahead of them, all moving toward the idling Elites. Four Pirate scouts fled the battle, soaring close by. Mak recognised a phased disengagement, a delaying tactic. By now he was nearly half-way to the Elites. He had spotted Kanyo up ahead of Ares, and he could take a pretty good guess at the identity of the other four. The seven back in action!
Pirates fled the battle faster now, panicking. They had lost heavily. One ran straight for the seven. As it fled, it took a hit. An engine ruptured, sending the ship spinning wildly toward the fragile space suits. Now the fuel tanks caught, igniting, and turning the ship into a flaming plasma ball that tore through the group. One of the suits was engulfed by it and vanished in an instant. Vaporised. Another suit was caught by metal fragments that smashed into the side. The suit, still intact, spun out of control. The rest of the seven were somehow untouched. Ahead, Kanyo caught the spinning space-suit, and carried it on toward the Elites, only a few hundred metres ahead now.
They reached the Elites as the last of the Pirates fled the battle. The Paranid were bearing down now. Up front, Gaiya Fox struggled with an Elite. Some Paranid had spotted them, they were closing. The hatch swung loose and Fox clambered in.
Mak reached another Elite, wrested his way in.
“Damn!” The ship was still powered down. Mak closed the hatch as he flung off the propulsion unit and flicked on the reactor, life support – the vents started hissing. It would still be a minute or two before he could lose the suit. He squeezed into the cockpit – they weren’t designed for suit-bulk – and flicked on the shielding. A blue glow flickered outside. He brought the weapons on-line.
Someone wasn’t quick enough. One of the Elites had exploded, burning fragments fizzled on his shields. Plasma was flying for him now, some hitting. Mak powered up the engines, and the ship shot forward. He struggled to get firmly on the seat.
A Paranid flew past, Mak pulled on the stick to follow. Raw instinct. Moments later his target exploded, and he flicked on Comms.
“... up!”
“Target down.”
“Nice!”
“Mak! Hey! Pull in with us... we’re gonna wipe ’em out. For Cappa and Drayen!”
“Cappa and Drayan?”
“She got taken out before she got her shields up, and he got vaporised in his suit.”
“What about Kanyo?” Mak asked.
“Here.”
“I saw you catch someone in space?”
“Navna. Her suit’s breached. She’s gonna need medical.”
“Just four of us flying.”
“The Fantastic Four?”
“Move out.”
“Damn. Look!”
A missile had hit the satellite. It broke up in a series of explosions. The little space-suits were fleeing again.
“Let’s get these bakatz!”
“Confirmed. Target locked.”

“After we took out the Paranid,” Jo said. “The others went with the Pirates. Of course, Artur recorded them as ‘killed during escape.’ They’d never admit they got away.”
“And they went with the Pirates?”
“Desperate times... After losing so many ships the Pirates were grateful for the escort, and Chireen needed medical fast. Mutual needs.”
“But you didn’t go with them?”
“No,” Jo’s eyes were shut; he shook his head. “With the satellite down, the only air-source, there were forty prisoners out there who’d suffocate before any pick-up could get 'em. No-one deserves that. Someone had to stay behind to pick them up.”

Briefly Mak was a prison hero. But the thanks and congratulation quickly gave way to suspicion once authorities failed to recover the Pirates or the ‘stolen’ Elites. They decided Mak must be covering for his friends. In the end, Mak suffered three days of intense interrogation. No sleep. The same questions again and again. ‘What links did the seven have with Pirate clan’ ‘How did they find Artur?’ ‘Who disabled the Elites?’ ‘Where have they gone?’ ‘What links?’ Endless questions.
Mak had no answers. Finally they put him back in the blocks. They came again in the night, a week later, a team of wardens. They hauled him away. Soon he found himself in total darkness, the grave-like quiet of Solitude.
A voice broke the silence.
“You could have ran, Mak.”
Mak started. He tried to see through the darkness.
“You did a good thing out there.”
“Who’s there?”
“You already know,” it said calmly.
“Ban Danna?”
“Correct.”
“I, I couldn’t let them die in space. Not more of... How are you here?”
“I had you brought here so I could see you, Mak. I’m getting you out of here. There’s not much time so listen. First, understand, this is completely off the record, top secret. In name, you must always remain here; ‘life’ means life; ‘Mak Orijin’ dies here. Everyone must believe that. So that life is over. Your life is over. You can’t catch up with old friends, girlfriends. Can’t take your old post in the Navy. Over. That can’t be helped. But in a few minutes, Mak, you get a new life; this is where I can help.”
“But...”
“I’ve made the arrangements. I have a job, an identity, a life; it’s all lined up for you. Remember Kyle Brennan? Led us into Brennan’s Triumph? He has a company now, a big one. He’s giving you a job. But first you need to go through the Service relocation program.”
“Relocation?”
“They sort out your new life, the details. Congratulations, Mak, you’re a free man.”
Mak nodded in the blackness.
“Just... before we go... We might never speak again, so I want you to know. Mak, I really am sorry about this. All of this.” he sighed. “All this time. You were our best, and... and now your friends really are working for terrorists. How’s that for irony?”
Mak felt a tingle run down his spine. A shiver that washed through his whole body and Bam! he’s in a bright new room. He'd never been through a transporter before. A strange sensation.

“Artur’s rough,” the agent said. “but on the plus side, that scar tissue will make you a lot harder to recognise. Now, ‘Mak Orijin’ was almost iconic for that shaven-headed, clean-shaven look. That was his image. Obviously, Jo Slammer, you need the opposite. Long hair, beard. Right?”
“Right.”

“And this was my appointment with Terracorp.”
“Wow,” Commander Reynolds looked awestruck.
“Obviously,” Jo went on. “No-one can know this. No one. I only told you because I had to. In case you haven’t figured it out yet, these ‘Shades’ are my old friends, the Seven... or at least the two who remain. And that is...”
“Two..?” Moor asked.
“Simons, he got the rest,” Jo snapped. “Bakazi. He’s been after us... after these 'militant mercenaries’ since the start. An ASF squad got Chireen years ago. Last year they murdered Ares. Simons, he has no idea who they are, but he’s sharp... and the idea of an elite squad of Pirates, with technology too, it's a threat. So he’s out for blood. Now he suspects a link between me and them... So... So, if he finds out who the Shades really are... He can’t find out.”
“So you’re saying..?” Moor fell silent as the door opened again.
Into the room strode Elton Simons.

Chapter Seven - It
Last edited by The Zig on Tue, 8. Aug 06, 23:55, edited 4 times in total.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 3. Nov 05, 13:33

Excellent read! I like the interludes of old info and also the end, which links up nicely with the hostilities between Mak and Simons!

Looking forward to the next part! :thumb_up:

biggie1447
x3ap

Post by biggie1447 » Sun, 6. Nov 05, 06:43

finaly, a little relief for my aching soul :lol:

cant wait for the next part

champgm
x3

Post by champgm » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 17:01

Good job, Zigi. I love the style. :)

The Zig
x3tc

Post by The Zig » Tue, 8. Nov 05, 21:11

Thanks a lot for the replies people!
Next part, probably Friday-ish...

Goddamn this site's running slow! Guess all the new X3 lot are draining its resources.
Which links nicely to my question. I really want to get X3. And I mean I REALLY want to get X3! You don't even understand how damn much I want to get X3 (I've followed this series since the first days of XBTF! And even before that Frontier Elite!)
But after the damn poor performance I first had from X2 (despite my computer at the time DOUBLING - or more - most of the *recommended* specs), I'm kinda hesitant. Once bitten, twice shy and all that... And looking over at the tech support doesn't fill me with hope! :(

Can anyone please gimme any first hand accounts? How does it run? Is it smooth? What specs matter most to performance? I just can't take a repeat of the hours of Frustrated Hell I had trying to get X2 to run nicely, do I have a hope in hell with X3!?

Relevant Specs:
‎AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ (clocks a tad over 2GHz)
Nvidia Geforce 6200, 256Mb
512Mb Ram, Windows XP

Sirilius
x4

Post by Sirilius » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 00:27

Damn, great story :)

Eddieboi
x3

Post by Eddieboi » Mon, 21. Nov 05, 23:15

your pc specs seem fine, apart from your ram, got a 2.4 ghz pc with a g-force fx 5500 graphics card and one gigabyte of ram (1024). just make sure you have more than 512 mb of ram as your game will proberly lag like hell! and make sure you set the graphic settings etc in the game or on the pre-launch game screen to low, the graphics on those settings is pretty good! unless you had one of those like super dell hardcore gaming systems you'd be ok on the high settings

Sirilius
x4

Post by Sirilius » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 19:15

wheres the 2nd part :(

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 20:05

found a working link for the other capters

great read keep em comming

The Zig
x3tc

Post by The Zig » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 00:26

Second part up (at last!)

I got X3 and while it works way better than I'd feared (it's definitely playable), it is a bit sticky in places. Reckon it'll run like a dream as soon as I slap in another gig of RAM. If not, I've picked up a few hints that I might yet try out ;) Cheers for the responses! :thumb_up:

Sorry about the links problems. Those cheeky scamps at egosoft changed the URLs for all the forums! I've sorted it now, I think. Lemme know if you have any more problems.

Cheers,
Zig

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 00:55

Excellent second part! Good to see you back in action! Nice conspiracy.

Looking forward to the next part! :thumb_up:

Sirilius
x4

Post by Sirilius » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 14:36

Damn great read!

perraultpa
x3

Post by perraultpa » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 01:16

Good read. I found this story last night and couldn't go to bed until I finished all six chapters. Keep em coming.

The Zig
x3tc

Post by The Zig » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 03:23

It's Done! At last!

I really hope you liked it!

I really struggled with this last part and in the end I abridged about a third of it because it was just too long. If any bits really don't make sense, do let me know, it may be that I cut something relevant (it's impossible to self-proof-read). Otherwise, enjoy.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I promise Chapter Seven is coming along so much more easily!

Da Zig

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 18:23

Excellent finish to that chapter! Love the story of the prison escape! Lots of tension in there.

Looking forward to what is coming next. I suspect Simons listened in but if he gives it away he may not get out of the room alive. So great potential! :thumb_up:

SharpW
x3

Post by SharpW » Tue, 28. Mar 06, 22:44

Any updates on Chapter 7? :D :D

Sharp

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Tue, 28. Mar 06, 23:25

Exactly. Dropped off the face of the world? :D

Kurt Shur'Tugal
x3

Post by Kurt Shur'Tugal » Mon, 22. May 06, 06:03

WHERES CHAPTER 7 :? :lol:

The Zig
x3tc

Post by The Zig » Fri, 16. Jun 06, 18:34

Chapter Seven will come soon I promise.
Sorry for the delay and thanks for the interest.

I've also been working on a much shorter story that I wanna post here. You'll be seeing that first - probably in the next few days - then I'll get back onto this story. The two are kinda connected.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Fri, 16. Jun 06, 19:24

Hey, great to see you are still among us! :D

Looking forward to your next chapter and new story!

Return to “Creative Universe”