Coding Project. Win10 GUI X2BC Shell - X3 community input wanted!

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Coding Project. Win10 GUI X2BC Shell - X3 community input wanted!

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 13. Feb 18, 15:22

It might have been done. Big deal. Did anyone ask your input? They never do it seems. Hank001 is asking.

"Design is a collaboration, if one person tries it on their own it's masterbation." B. Fuller

I'm no stranger here. But in 2006 my coding experience was Fortran, Cobol and APL. That changed as I've changed in 11 years.

Hank001 here is modeling and modding again! Sorry for long absence I being all professional. I retired and this is my reward. Fighting Khak's and twisting that joystick between making spaceships. (For myself and the community here at least for a change).

PS Gui Version of X2BC from developer Moonraven is a dead link. Mirror tosses you to ads :evil:

Doubleshadow had download with source.

Coding was something I didn't really do in 2006. Became a mandatory skill when you're needing to make 3D programs jump through hoops they weren't designed to. So I went or was sent to all kinds of places to learn. So after emails to Doubleshadow were returned (As a professional courtesy I asked permission) and he gave his blessing I'll kick off this project.

3D people: Hank001's advice? Go to SourceForge, pick up tools and tutorials and learn. Costs:0 Return: Depending on what you put into it HUGE. It's almost as easy as learning scripting...wait strike that. If you learn XML, UTF, Python, it IS scripting.... I looked at X2BC's source, pulled up my C++ console and stated dropping widgets and gizmos and templates and faceplates, buttons, etc into slots. Moonraven, keep you're dead links. Bet my GUI will bet yours...SCREEECH! Stop. Design is a collaboration. Sooo....read in I should ask the community here. Sorry we can't post pics.
Polished Chrome? Grey Brushed Metal? Bit of both?
Language versions? Easily dome. What languages besides English (DUH) German, Russian (Par Rus)? Toss in your suggestions!
I'm thinking batch bob to bod convert with the ability to drop into other directory of just bods? Access T files and dump textures too? It's all well within the realm of the possible. Any ideas? Please share!

:idea: 's anyone?
Last edited by Hank001 on Wed, 21. Feb 18, 19:32, edited 2 times in total.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 01:41

Plane discouraging. 100 posts or so off topics last night. And zip for this topic. Modelers all left behind me? Hello?
(Echo) hello hello hell...
:cry: Sic Transit Gloria Mundi. (Google it)
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 12:04

If you have a look at the first page of this forum, you'll notice that the activity here is rather low with posts from 2016 still being displayed. Considering that X3R is almost 13 years old (the last patch was released 10 years ago), and its successors share the same universe yet offer a lot more modding possibilites, it shouldn't be that surprising that the other modders have moved on to the newer games. Whereby even these are rather old by today's standards (with release dates in 2008 and 2011), although they still receive smaller patches from time to time. Hence, if you want community input, I suggest creating a topic in the Scripts und Modding Forum for X3TC/AP. Mind that even there patience is advised, as only a few modders and modelers are still active there, who may not check the forum daily.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 12:34

So I'm learning to my sorrow because I've looked into the newer games. I guess I'm biased toward "better the devil you know." Besides I've already coded the thing. It took me all of a half hour with that dinky amount of source. (Tiny thing X2BC). Besides that I didn't want to let on it's been done to the point with bob that a shareware pro converter 3D Convert 6.5 out of Hungary ($50) Already takes bob and creates the model onscreen for conversion to whatever. It's just that I've corresponded with the developer and could have put THAT capability into a community developed engine. And not only NOT stepped on toes but perhaps interested the smarter 3D people out there into learning the one skill they think they don't need as artists. Coding. If they want to step up to the software and take what's handed to them fine. Then they'll stay artists and frankly artists are a "dime a dozen". The ability to create new tools to advance your talents? Well that's why Di Vinci gets revered.
I suppose I should delete the topic and go back to off topics and talk about Elan Musk's Space Tesla and Earthquakes.
<end script> :(
Last edited by Hank001 on Sun, 18. Feb 18, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
MIND THE GAP

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 12:40

you could try Doubleshadows X3 Editor 2

it has a bod compiler built into it.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Wed, 21. Feb 18, 19:23

Ds tools? Working with DS and others since we got back in touch. Batch converting all X3 bobs to bods was a breeze except you have to stay on top of the process. Working on that, now with new software bods go in can skip 3Ds or gmax and go right into obj so I can touch up old models in my favorite modeler C4D. Really the old dudes are really polygon hogs and trimming them down while not loosing detail is easy, so is keeping the UV's in place. Sort of took the job of polishing things up for a new generation of OpenGL renderers.

Seems X2BC has came a huge way since 2006-7. It's just a matter of finding all the places the source code went.

Gives me faith that X3 Reunion and Terran Conflict haven't seen their last days and might come back looking better.
Now if they can work the bugs out of the alpha mats...

(Hank001's a happy camper, just ignore me :lol: )
MIND THE GAP

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 30. Mar 18, 01:40

In case anyone is interested. As soon as I've finished testing
each one, I'm thinking of handing my ships over to the X3R and X3TC communities in ready to go .xsp packages for mod manager to manage. I'm now having to retexture most for X3TC's shader handling. I'll edit this post with the location when I start postuing them.
MIND THE GAP

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Fri, 30. Mar 18, 09:43

Hank001 wrote:In case anyone is interested. As soon as I've finished testing
each one, I'm thinking of handing my ships over to the X3R and X3TC communities in ready to go .xsp packages for mod manager to manage. I'm now having to retexture most for X3TC's shader handling. I'll edit this post with the location when I start postuing them.
:thumb_up:
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 14. Apr 18, 14:09

I've decided to start packing a few ships up for mods, but don't think this thread is the venue. Plus I'm going to have to migrate them to another website to provide links for the pics and downloads, but it should be soon. I'll post the link to the thread here so those interested can jump there and pick up the ship packs.
MIND THE GAP

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”