[BONUS Plugin] Exchange Freight v1.1 04-8-05

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Birdman
x3

Post by Birdman » Sun, 14. Aug 05, 04:02

I have tried this a few times and it seems to work quite well (just have to watch remaining capacity). Since this was meant for out of sector transporter use, I just have the one ship "move to position" of the other with the first stopped (usually having done a "move to position" itself. This results in almost zero to zero range (how many times have you had a remote TL go and offload wares at a remote location). The flying time is a few seconds at most.

I've transferred weapons (BPPCs, GPPCs) and shields (125Mw) to my Python from a Dolphin, also to my Raptor (even though the Dolphin could land) just to check it out.

As far as the 'follow command', I have used that to get another ship within transporter range many times. Ship B stationary, ship A moving in on it ( I've been in B (my Ray), performing other maintenance on my empire, and need more E-Cells after multiple jumps killing Xenon, so I have a Iguana come in for a quick fill-up.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Sun, 14. Aug 05, 06:13

I was pretty sure that at least the move to position commands were pretty accurate. It's good to hear that these will place two ships within range of eachother.

and jlehtone, when you issue a follow command, all of the follower ships will form up in the formation set in the command console of the lead ship. That's how that works.

Cheers.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Sun, 14. Aug 05, 18:50

another thought.

When you don't have a transporter device available the command still appears, but greyed out. It would be nice if it just dissappeared instead.

For me, I have a lot of other commands in the menus and I find it irritating having them clogged up by commands I can't use. Also, iirc only 16 out of the 32 command slots for a menu can be shown at one time.

btw this also goes for the pilot management commands. If I have no pilots I have no need for the commands.

Last thought. There isn't a position for a script interface consultant available is there? ;)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 14. Aug 05, 19:45

Burianek wrote:when you issue a follow command, all of the follower ships will form up in the formation set in the command console of the lead ship. That's how that works.
Ahh, I should probably then invest on some ships and look outside. I did have a fully maxed Pegasos and Disco to follow my Nova, but for some reason they look more like spaceflys whirling around (particularly on SETA). Usually on closing the next gate they finally settle to some wing position. On next sector the same repeats. I wonder what formation I had on a Perseus when I asked the Hercules to follow. If only I had not pulled the hand-brake...

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Sun, 14. Aug 05, 21:08

moggy2 wrote:another thought.

When you don't have a transporter device available the command still appears, but greyed out. It would be nice if it just dissappeared instead.
Agreed wholeheartedly.
Convention for the interface for any script should generally be (imho):
  • - required wares not present = command not displayed at all
    - required wares present but 'situation' ship is in isn't correct (wrong item targeted, no homebase set, etc.) = command displayed greyed out
    - required wares present and ship is in correct 'situation' = command is useable and active
Good feedback.
I'll try to get that into the next version if possible.
Cheers.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Tue, 16. Aug 05, 03:08

moggy2 wrote: When you don't have a transporter device available the command still appears, but greyed out. It would be nice if it just dissappeared instead.
Talked to Vassenego and he brings up a good point.
The script checks to make certain that at least one or the other of the ships has a transporter. Not just the ship you execute the command from.
So there's really no good way to tell if the command should be displayed short of continually checking if there are other player ships in a 5km radius that are equipped. (not a good idea)

So right now, the command is always displayed, and the check is only made upon running the script.

Unless you can think of some clever way to do this. Short of requiring the command to be run from the ship with the jumpdrive. Since I think that makes the script more difficult to use, because then you have to get into positive numbers for sending wares and negative for receiving, etc. *shudders*

Let me know what you think.
Cheers.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Tue, 16. Aug 05, 03:22

Now I remember why I opted for an extra argument of "source ship" for the Xai Corporation version. That of course leads to the side effect (advantage?) of being able to use a ship's transporter to transport wares between two completely different ships.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Tue, 16. Aug 05, 06:37

Ok, I've tweaked the script a little,
it's done, it just needs tested and included. We'll release a new version in a little while.

Changes:
- the script now searches for any player ship within 5 km of each ship involved in the transfer which has a transporter device installed. It doesn't have to be on one of the two ships anymore, just a ship in range. (so if you want to get really technical, the two ships can be up to 10 km apart now, with a transporter equipped ship in the middle slinging the stuff from one to the other :))
- The script will now transfer up to the amount specified in the input. If it's constrained by not enough wares present on the source, or cargo limitations on the receiving end, it will transfer everything it can.
- Error messages are only sent if no items are transferred, partial transfers are assumed to be successful and no message is sent. (you may happily enter '99999' number of wares to transfer now and it'll just send the max)
- The command is now in the addt'l ship command slot, so it won't interrupt your current orders.

These changes should make it possible to do fancy things like rebalance the missile loadouts between your ships that are on a patrol with only one transporter installed in the lead ship, and without interfering with the patrol orders. ;)

Watch for it soon.
Cheers.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Wed, 17. Aug 05, 07:21

Just brainstorming here.

Consider the following situation: 2 ships one with hornets and one with mosquitos. You want both ships to have some of each.

With this script you do the following:
  1. select ship 1
  2. go to command menu
  3. scroll down to aux command slots
  4. select command
  5. select ware
  6. set quantity
  7. set target
  8. exit command menu
  9. select ship 2
  10. goto command menu
  11. scroll down to aux command slot
  12. select command
  13. select ware
  14. set quantity
  15. set target
The problem I have here is that I find running an aux ship command tedious because there's no hotkey and here I have to do it twice.

Now the same with Xai Corp's script:
  1. select ship with transporter device
  2. goto command menu
  3. scroll down to aux command slot
  4. select command
  5. select source ship and ware
  6. set quantity
  7. set target
  8. select command again
  9. select source ship and ware
  10. set quantity
  11. set target
The advantage here is I can run the command twice from the same ship. After running the command once the cursor's in the right place to run the command again. No fiddling around finding command slots on the next ship. That's 4 steps saved each time you change source ship, and two of them require scrolling through lists.

The other advantage here is that since you run the command from the ship with the TD, you can hide the command on ships without one ;)

Another thing I've been wondering about. Some people have already been complaining about it not being easy to get the ships into TD range. Does not having to know where the TD is make it easier or harder?

blodg
x3

Post by blodg » Fri, 2. Dec 05, 17:13

i can't find where you bye it from eny help

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Sun, 4. Dec 05, 01:23

You don't need to buy anything special.
You just need a transporter device installed on one of the ships.
Cheers.

ptb_ptb

Post by ptb_ptb » Fri, 14. Sep 12, 12:24

Also, would it be at all possible to have a script allowing ships to use transporters to trade with stations that they can't dock with? I realize this would be a lot different to the current version, but I can hope, right? :P

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”