Omicron Lyre mission

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Spreggo
x3ap

Omicron Lyre mission

Post by Spreggo » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 06:47

Alright I'm up to the very end of this mission (salvage insurance) but my ship is so beat up that when I defeat the khaak, the remaining like, 5 ships waste me, everytime. I tried bailing but they just shot my space suit too. Should I just revert to an older save and get a corvette to redo this whole mission with? I'm in a nova now... the real problem is that I lost my jumpdrive so I can't get away fast enough.
Just wondering if anyone can think of something before I revert...

jaguarskx
x3

Post by jaguarskx » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 07:10

I recently completed it in my Odysseus and Perseus. While a skilled pilot can complete the mission in M3, it would be better to use a larger ship for the first half of the mission and then a fighter for the second half.

In a nutshell, if you are having your ass handed to you then by all means revert back to an older game and bring in a corvette.

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 07:16

Ha!!! Should have bought a Barracuda!!! And Corvettes won't help you they're too big so you end up flying the mission in an M5...

Stay away from the Khaak... They're not automatically after you only if you get into range...

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 09:56

silentWitness wrote:Ha!!! Should have bought a Barracuda!!! And Corvettes won't help you they're too big so you end up flying the mission in an M5....
Depends how careful you are. First time I did this mission (during beta testing) I was in an Argon Centaur. There's about a metre of clearance each side.

Now my preferred setup for this mission is a destroyer and M3 combination. I might trey it in an M1 next time, for giggles.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

BlueSwede
x3tc

Post by BlueSwede » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 10:02

If you are too beat up, just keep away from the khaak and call in another ship. You should have a few other ships that can jump in and deal with the remaining khaak ships...

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 10:25

I had the same problem the first time i tried the mission. Try and get to the nearest jumpgate out of the system, or a space station. You can wait in the station until the Khaak are destroyed, or jump out of the system. The Khaak wont follow you.

Atkara
x3tc

Post by Atkara » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 11:07

I decided to face again that mission yesterday. I was in a Nova too. After a half-day's frustration I too ended up getting my shields wasted by a KM3 on my tail, while several other KM5s were finishing the job. Well, the solution to MY problem, was to do a hard immelman, face the KM3, and get on it's back, while plotting my salvation-jump on the map. The rest 10 seconds passed with me dogfighting that KM3 while screaming "JUMP, you !@##$@#%#$, JUMP!!!!". Eventually it jumped. Well I returned in a Dragon, wasted every single one of them, except from those who were kind enough to bail out hehe.

antman112
x4

Post by antman112 » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 11:25

find somewere to land a wait it out
or land at the shipyard and well you know the rest :lol:
sorry of any spelling mistakes

Atkara
x3tc

Post by Atkara » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 13:58

Btw, has anyone ever put 6 M2s (scripted or not) to kill each of the KM2s that supply the Khaak mothership's main beam? I'm just wondering what could happen if that beam wouldn't fire at all...

oh well, I might try it one of these days. I must have an earlier save backed up somewhere...

Texas
x3

Post by Texas » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 14:36

The only time I completed that mission I had an Argon Nova [Fully equipped] and just hid in the Mo's Gun Port.

The Khaak cannot hit you and the spinny protusions take care of missiles!

Let Brent and Saya take out the fighters.

Good place for recharging Shields!
Professionals are predictable.
It's the amateurs that are dangerous!

grumman
x3tc

Post by grumman » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 16:13

Atkara wrote:Btw, has anyone ever put 6 M2s (scripted or not) to kill each of the KM2s that supply the Khaak mothership's main beam? I'm just wondering what could happen if that beam wouldn't fire at all...
Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Like Brett's, Saya's and Ban Danna's ships, they cannot be destroyed.
Grumman - killjoy extraordinaire

TerrorTrooper
x4

Post by TerrorTrooper » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 16:50

with some practice, the mission can be easilly done in an M3 or even an M4, However, the khaak are quite deadly in version 1.4 compared to 1.3...

generally the best way to do this mission is in a destroyer with your favorite M3 Docked so you can do the last part in the M3

Also.. Resist the temptation to take a fleet to omicron lyrae, even with my trusty X800 PRO, the framerate drops considerably with a fleet and makes maneuvering all that much harder at the end..

also.. just too see if it was possible, i did it in a Disco... i wouldnt recomend it.. and it takes a lot of practise...

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 17:20

Atkara wrote:Btw, has anyone ever put 6 M2s (scripted or not) to kill each of the KM2s that supply the Khaak mothership's main beam? I'm just wondering what could happen if that beam wouldn't fire at all...

oh well, I might try it one of these days. I must have an earlier save backed up somewhere...

same as with any other story-related objects .. you can get it down to 0% hull and shields and it wont blow ..
Spoiler
Show
that is .. untill you have more or less 'finished' the mission ..

-about doing the mission ..

get in in a M3 (Nova/Cuda/Perseus .. just pick one (easiest on the use for this mission is the Perseus .. cause off the ability to use PSG-weaponry))

take an Osprey with 2*B-PSGs in the main-guns with you (might want to have an M5 docked)

get in position ..
than as fast as you can transport over to the Osprey .. and just blast the M0 with the PSGs .. this should deal with the 'boxes' ..(less fun .. but very easy with PSGs)
than or use the docked M5 at the M6 to quickly do the 'get in position' part again(make sure you are fast .. and dont get hit)
or else (if you are not such a skilled pilot/have a lot a khaak on your six) transport back to the Perseus (wich you have a couple km away waiting for you)
and do the 'get in position' part ..

after that .. if you used the M5 .. get out as fast as you can .. if you are in the Perseus .. I would say .. 'have fun' ..;)

G

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 17:21

Titanx3 wrote:I had the same problem the first time i tried the mission. Try and get to the nearest jumpgate out of the system, or a space station. You can wait in the station until the Khaak are destroyed, or jump out of the system. The Khaak wont follow you.
Spoiler
Show
This could result in a mission failure .. depending on in what part off the mission your in ..

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 17:54

Red Spot wrote:
Titanx3 wrote:I had the same problem the first time i tried the mission. Try and get to the nearest jumpgate out of the system, or a space station. You can wait in the station until the Khaak are destroyed, or jump out of the system. The Khaak wont follow you.
Spoiler
Show
This could result in a mission failure .. depending on in what part off the mission your in ..
I mean when you have finished the mission and just needed to get rid of/ escape from the remaining Khaak.

cashomoto

Post by cashomoto » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 18:37

Atkara wrote:I decided to face again that mission yesterday. I was in a Nova too. After a half-day's frustration I too ended up getting my shields wasted by a KM3 on my tail, while several other KM5s were finishing the job. Well, the solution to MY problem, was to do a hard immelman, face the KM3, and get on it's back, while plotting my salvation-jump on the map. The rest 10 seconds passed with me dogfighting that KM3 while screaming "JUMP, you !@##$@#%#$, JUMP!!!!". Eventually it jumped. Well I returned in a Dragon, wasted every single one of them, except from those who were kind enough to bail out hehe.
You do kow that if you press shit+j again it will jump instantly right? Just checking.
Newbie here

TwoHedWlf
x4

Post by TwoHedWlf » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 18:38

Not on the latest version, it doesn't. It jumping immediately is a bug, it's supposed to cancel the jump.

Spreggo
x3ap

Post by Spreggo » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 23:15

Thanks for all the tips, but unfortunatly, I am too far from a gate or a station (i've tried at least 5 times to get to one), have no jumpdrive (fried) and I can't get behind the m3 because my hull is so weak it can barely take any damage without breaching, and the m3 starts off commign right at me. But I loaded a save from not too long ago and am going to try a corvette m5 duo.

Some Strange Man
x3

Post by Some Strange Man » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 23:30

PSGs really make one of the bits on that mission ridiculously easy.

I lub my Perseus. :lol:

Atkara
x3tc

Post by Atkara » Mon, 4. Jul 05, 23:59

cashomoto wrote: You do kow that if you press ****+j again it will jump instantly right? Just checking.
Well, as TwoHedWlf said, Shift-j aborts the jump. I used it today when I changed my mind about my destination. It's counter-effect is that you lose the energy cells needed for the jump you just aborted.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”