M3 Fighter Guide

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

What's Your Favourite M3?

Argon Nova
51%
Boron Barracuda
11%
Khaak Fighter
8%
Paranid Perseus
16%
Pirate Orinoco
4%
Split Mamba
9%
Teladi Falcon
1%

Total votes: 225

DJ Die
Moderator (České)
Moderator (České)
x4

Post by DJ Die » Tue, 29. Mar 05, 20:42

Nova seems to be most used M3 i like it a lot only its speed keeps it from being best

Java Jawa
x3tc

Post by Java Jawa » Tue, 29. Mar 05, 20:43

Yeah . . . WHOA! Nova's storming ahead in the poll . . .

Don't forget to cast your vote!

Fly Safe Friend!
i7 940 @ 2.93GHz
6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1600MHz RAM
XFX GTX 295 1792MB GPU
ASUS Rampage II Extreme MoBo w/ X-Fi
Logitech G19, G9, Z-2300 THX speakers
Sennheiser PC350 headphones

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Tue, 29. Mar 05, 22:51

What i think we need is a guide compiled by a number of people, each of whom prefers a different ship. You get a price and stats comparison, and then a short speil on how to fly it to its best, and what type of pilot prefers that craft. That way people can compare their flying style to that required by the ship, and chose accordingly.

Im an Nova jocky, if i want speed i'll use my JD, if i want massive firepower i'll call in my flight group to support me. I've lost count of the times the rear turret has litteraly saved my ass, and IMO nothing can do what the Nova can do in good hands. Partly that is coz i have Xai Advanced AI, so other ships are an acutal THREAT, partly coz i like to be in the thick of things, when you have shit comming fomr all over the pace and you have to hang in there and take the pain, or run like a scared child, and ive never been one for running.

That doesnt mean its the best ship, just the best for ME. Even the promise of an M6 couldnt get me out of my fighter cockpit!
want the FACTS about X2/X3?
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

Atrium
x3

Post by Atrium » Tue, 29. Mar 05, 23:15

:o The orinoco is a lot better than you give it credit. One of two m3s I've used single handedly to completely wipe out pirate bases easily.
I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. Apparently it's something I'm good at...
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Pcorn
x3

Post by Pcorn » Tue, 29. Mar 05, 23:27

Many of the ships appeal to me.

Nova is my personal weapon of choice because it's an ace capture ship and the back turret gives missile defence.

Orinoco has a good cargo hold and I like the APSGs. It's also faster than my Nova.

I'm also quite fond of the Persius, because I like having 3 forward mounted guns and not sit on a crappy hull like the Bayamon. They also hold BPSGs. ;) Oh and it's also pretty zippy.

However I voted Khaak M3. It's speed is formidable, and with the upgrade can clock up 360. With the firing software the beams just about lock on all by themselves and cling to an enemy like mud, unlike a BHEPT where it can manoeuvre clear of the blasts. And the way those beams just burn clean through the shields and hull. The Khaak is a true predator, a real killer. ^_^

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Tue, 29. Mar 05, 23:33

I'm one of the proud, the few, who seems to think of the Orinoco as a good ship. It's really a fantastic ship for BBS missions. It has a very generous cargo bay for an M3, has average shields, decent weapons (BPSGs, AHEPTs), and although it's ugly, it's quite reliable. The others might be better for straight-up combat, but I think the Orinoco is the best for a jack-of-all-trades person who's not very rich yet. It's even free! :D
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 29. Mar 05, 23:47

Constipated_Vigilante wrote:I'm one of the proud, the few, who seems to think of the Orinoco as a good ship. It's really a fantastic ship for BBS missions. It has a very generous cargo bay for an M3, has average shields, decent weapons (BPSGs, AHEPTs), and although it's ugly, it's quite reliable. The others might be better for straight-up combat, but I think the Orinoco is the best for a jack-of-all-trades person who's not very rich yet. It's even free! :D
Proud maybe, but not so few. :wink: The Orinoco is by far my favorite M3, despite it's looks. But for a lot of different reasons. Once you learn how to fly well, the Ori can hold its own against any ship in the game except perhaps a Khaak M2. With its very versatile weapons loadout of AHEPT's, Ion D's, and BPSG's, it has more options than any other M3. I've wiped out pirate bases, capturing most of the fighters. I've cleared Xenon sectors, including X472, with it. Its huge cargo bay, for an M3, allows it to carry plenty of e-cells both for jumping and for its added Engine Tuning Kit, while still having plenty of room to pick up loot after a battle. But the best part is the ability to capture an overtuned one in mission 2. My super Ori has a top speed of 319 m/s! :D

The OP's dissing of the Orinoco just shows he hasn't really used it. :twisted: :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Atrium
x3

Post by Atrium » Tue, 29. Mar 05, 23:54

The others better at combat, erm no. The orinoco can take bpsgs, two of them. So it has almost as much firepower as the persius. Which was clearly designed to... kill things.
I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. Apparently it's something I'm good at...
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Some Strange Man
x3

Post by Some Strange Man » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 00:49

The 'noco?

Its slow and got below average shields for an M3.

Its a watered down version of the Perseus that just so happens to be able to jump.

@Java, you really should include the Iguana! All but one of its specs is better than that of your M3's, and theyre maneouverability and lack of psg capability (lets just ignore the 4 x Ion D capability).

Logaan
x4

Post by Logaan » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 01:11

Im using the Orinoco at the moment in my latest games. Equipped with 2 GPACs as I find the AHEPTs a bit weak sometimes.

Its the kind of halfway ship, one on hand youve got a perfectly servicable fighter, which as long as you dont go after anything else bigger than an M3 and take on more than several M3s, you can cope.

On the other hand, youve got the Cargobay to do the odd trade runs and its just as fast as any TS.

So yes, its speed lets it down, but if it was any faster, everyone would be using it.

MY favourite ship is the Baracuda which is what I voted for btw.

Java Jawa
x3tc

Post by Java Jawa » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 09:35

Well, due to public outcry, I just had a review of the Orinoco, seems I was a little harsh on it! I'll update its score in light of some of the facts that you have stated. :D and which I have tested and found to be at least partially true. Logaans judgement of 'a halfwawy ship' I think makes more sense, so I've tried to incorporate some of the features he mentioned. :)
Last edited by Java Jawa on Wed, 30. Mar 05, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
i7 940 @ 2.93GHz
XFX GTX 295 1792MB GPU

The_Seeker
x3ap

Post by The_Seeker » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 10:02

Khaak M3 Rulezz! I got 14! :fg: I WANT 50! *slobber* :twisted:

No need to guess my vote, huh?

Cheers! :D

Java Jawa
x3tc

Post by Java Jawa » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 10:04

nope hehehe . . . :lol:

*chitters*
i7 940 @ 2.93GHz
XFX GTX 295 1792MB GPU

Java Jawa
x3tc

Post by Java Jawa » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 10:06

And i can't include the Iguana! It's a TP! I mean, alright it is a good TP . . . a VERY good TP and I wish i could include it, but imagine their faces s they're scrolling down the list . . .

nova . . .

barra . . .

perseus . . .

WTF! IGUANA!!!!!???????? :o :?:
i7 940 @ 2.93GHz
XFX GTX 295 1792MB GPU

xalien
x4

Re: The Compl33t M3 Gu1d3!

Post by xalien » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 12:56

Java Jawa wrote:PIRATE ORINOCO . . .

Compatible missiles: *why do i bother, its the same as all the others, all of em, same goes for ALL m3's*
Hmm, IIRC neither Orinoco or Mamba can mount Hornets and I'm pretty sure that KM3 can use all non-khaak missiles. Also 3 AHEPTs on Perseus do slightly less shield but more hull damage than 2 BHEPTs so apart PSG compatibility there's nothing special about Perseus.

Java Jawa
x3tc

Post by Java Jawa » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 13:41

oops, rectified :oops: :shock:
i7 940 @ 2.93GHz
XFX GTX 295 1792MB GPU

Socio
x3

Post by Socio » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 16:01

Java Jawa

What about adding some third party M3's with specs to your list like the ones in the Deadly SSG mod for example ? http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74603

This way we can see how some of those stack up against the standard M3's and it will make it the uber guide to X2 M3's!

[/url]

Some Strange Man
x3

Post by Some Strange Man » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 17:50

Java Jawa wrote:And i can't include the Iguana! It's a TP! I mean, alright it is a good TP . . . a VERY good TP and I wish i could include it, but imagine their faces s they're scrolling down the list . . .

nova . . .

barra . . .

perseus . . .

WTF! IGUANA!!!!!???????? :o :?:
Its an M3 in all but name. ;)

You can say, Honourable mention goes to the Iguana which is an M3 by specification, but a TP by name. (if it were upto me I'd reclass the mamba into a heavy interceptor/m4)

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 18:12

Another vote for the Iguana - almost an M6 in terms of speed & firepower (primarily due to its 4 Ion-D's) & equivalent shielding to an M3 (but for 1/2 the price).

One of my favourite ships in the x-universe, along with the Ray & Hydra - well, I am rather fond of Ion-D's. Things just seem to go so much better if the only ship with any shields left is the one I'm flying... :)

JungleJim
x3

Post by JungleJim » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 18:16

Maximum476 wrote:I think you missed the sheild info from the ships. You should also maybe point out the friendly fire issues you can get when using psgs, and the fact that the KM3, due to the nature of its weapons, cannot easily take out ships with very strong sheilds.

As for the nova, the back turret is only useful because the thing is so slow, all other fighters can outrun the dangerous missiles. :P
All other M3s EXCEPT the Falcon & Orinoco.

The Orinoco has other positive qualities that make up for this short-coming. The Falcon does not.
Be seeing you,

[ external image ]

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”