Teladi M2: please convince me

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jimmy Jazz
x3

Teladi M2: please convince me

Post by Jimmy Jazz » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 00:55

I know there are a couple of people out there who bought the Teladi M2. I want to buy an M2. If I look at the stats of the ship I see great shields, great weapons and, uhm, a great (high) price. It seems to be the best M2.
Where is my problem? It is so ugly!!! When I spent a couple of dozen millions on a ship I want something lethal looking, not something that looks as it is a couple of cardboxes glued together. The Teladi M1 looks great, the M6 looks ok so why does the M2 have to be so ugly? Those of you flying the Teladi M2 let me know how you bear the terrible looks. I am really, really interested in this.

And please don't tell me that you never ever leave the bridge of the ship so that you don't have to see the outside
Pinky : "Gee, Brain what do you want to do tonight?"
Brain : "The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!"

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 00:59

I love the looks. I will often fly woth the outside view, just admiring it. I think it really looks the business, with all the forward-poking stuff. So I for one do ot see the problem: great functionality and great looks.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The Great Stonk
x3tc

Post by The Great Stonk » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 01:10

the pheonix roxors my boxors lol its the best designed m2, its stubby shape makes it impossible for the enemy to fly so tha tonly one turret faces them.

adowthwaite
x4

Post by adowthwaite » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 01:11

The boxy looks are its great strong points. In M2 verses M2 combat whoever can get the most guns to bear wins. With the teladi M2 the shape makes it easy to get three turrets facing the enemy.

My fav M2 for looks (no flaming me please) is the Boron Ray, but try hitting anything with the rear turret. I use the tail as a sweeping brush/ tennis racket and bash M4's, M5's out of the sector.

Adi

Ps. If you're in an M3 getting pasted you can hide in that box while your shields recharge.

Jimmy Jazz
x3

Post by Jimmy Jazz » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 01:14

The Great Stonk wrote:the pheonix roxors my boxors lol its the best designed m2, its stubby shape makes it impossible for the enemy to fly so tha tonly one turret faces them.
yeah, I read that. It seems to be a good in the meaning of functional design. Maybe I should change my perception of what is good looking. Concerning looks I like the Ray and the Titan
Pinky : "Gee, Brain what do you want to do tonight?"
Brain : "The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!"

The Great Stonk
x3tc

Post by The Great Stonk » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 01:30

...the ray being the most infunctional m2 in the game :)

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 01:48

Actually, the Python is the worst M2 because of firepower, shields, and shape. But it looks better than a supermodel (well, almost!). :D And the Phoenix is the best M2, although expensive. When I start playing X2 again (i'm thinking about it!) I'll work to buy one (have about 40 mil now).
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

onewheeldoin200
x2

Post by onewheeldoin200 » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 06:51

In my mind the Phoenix is the BEST looking m2 in the game. I can't wait till I can afford one....or a fleet of them :twisted:

Unreal2me
x3tc

Post by Unreal2me » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 07:22

The Teladi M2 is his glorious beauty

http://www.zippyimages.com/110489.html

It looks simply great and i guess it is only a matter of personal taste.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 07:34

Phoenix looks cool. In fact, if you have some docked fighters, it's great to just jump into one now and again--you fall away from the hull between those two huge piers and it all gets very reminiscent of the starting sequence from X-Beyond the Frontier.

In fact, I reckon the Phoenix is quite possibly the only ship which has not changed its configuration significantly in any of the X games so far, so clearly someone at Egosoft likes the looks of it as well!

SunFire
x3tc

Post by SunFire » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 08:27

Its an ugly ship for sure, followed by the Oddy...yuck and yuck. And any M2 can bring its 3 front turrets on a target. :roll:

<edit> except for the Split Python.

Maximum476
x3tc

Post by Maximum476 » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 08:36

Hey dont you be starting on the ody :)

khabal
x3

Post by khabal » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 08:40

You don't exactely NEED the Pheonix. The Pheonix is as good as any other M2 in terms of "normal battle". No other ship except the Oddyseus can survive in a Xenon sector. The only different M2 is the Paranid Oddyseus which can mount PSG and ravage an entire Xenon sector.

So there isn't really any notable diference between the M2s except the Oddyseus. You can just buy any M2 and do well as long as you don't intend to attack a Xenon sector.

In my last game I didn't attack any Xenon sector and I had a Titan.

Guiden
x2

Post by Guiden » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 08:46

The point with the phoenix is that it's easy to get several turrets to bear, as mentioned above; most destroyers can do it, but the phoenix is very forgiving with angles... And the shielding is nice too...
Who needs nuclear power when there is electricity?

M1: 2
M2: 5
M3: 70
M4: 9
M5: 10
M6: 20
TL: 1
TS & TP: ~100

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 10:44

** No other ship except the Oddyseus can survive in a Xenon sector. **

Wrong.

A few nights ago I cleaned out the Xenon sector just south of Scale Plate Green......whatever it's number is.

My Titan had no problem.

Since then I have been camped at the east gate in Omicron Lyrea picking off all the J's and K's that are trying to get back home.

Titan works fine there too :D

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 14:21

SunFire wrote:Its an ugly ship for sure, followed by the Oddy...yuck and yuck. And any M2 can bring its 3 front turrets on a target. :roll:

<edit> except for the Split Python.
Maximum476 wrote:Hey dont you be starting on the ody :)
Yeah, what you mean "followed by the Oddy"? :rant: . The Oddy is the most ugly M2 out there :roll:

AlexKitch
x3

Post by AlexKitch » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 14:36

The Phoenix, despite 95% of comments, is probably the BEST looking destroyer out there - And it has the added advantage of probably being the best performing destroyer too

I personally like it because of the XBTF nostalgia. I've just ordered a second Phoenix to add to my fleet of now 2 Phoenixes, 1 Condor, 3 Ospreys, and 60 Falcons

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 14:47

The phoenix reminds me of:-
1) The big two legged machines in Tron
2) The Borg ships - style wise
3) ermmm.... a construction crane
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

SunFire
x3tc

Post by SunFire » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 14:58

x2alien wrote:, what you mean "followed by the Oddy"? :rant: . The Oddy is the most ugly M2 out there :roll:
LoL true, true. :D
AlexKitch wrote:The Phoenix, despite 95% of comments, is probably the BEST looking destroyer out there
BEST looking? hehe... if you say so.
AlexKitch wrote:And it has the added advantage of probably being the best performing destroyer too
I would say the best performing destroyer would be the Oddy.
Last edited by SunFire on Sun, 19. Sep 04, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

Griefheart
x3tc

Post by Griefheart » Sun, 19. Sep 04, 15:02

I wish people would stop choosing cap ships on the basis they can mount PSG's. If the PSG ever gets castrated to the point it isnt hugely overpowered i wonder how many people would really want to use them then.

Fact is that a mandalay with apsgs can take down cap ships, a bayamon can do it even faster and a paranid m3 can do it without any skill in the least.
Its a lonely life being me...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”