Frequently Asked Newbie Questions - please contribute

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Steel
x4

Frequently Asked Newbie Questions - please contribute

Post by Steel » Sat, 16. Nov 02, 10:24

Hi all,

We would like to add to the FAQ at the top of the board a list of questions and answers that relate to the forum as well as the games.

So please post your ideas into this thread and then we will compile the list, add our own bits ;-) and put it at the top of the FAQ.

We don't intend to have a big list, just a quick read for newbies i.e.

Access/account problems? Contact site admin @....
Content issues? Contact a moderator @.....
What's a PM?
What are smilies?

etc. you get the idea.

We'll leave this sticky up for a few days.

Thanks!

Steel
Last edited by Steel on Tue, 19. Nov 02, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Thalass
x2

Post by Thalass » Sat, 16. Nov 02, 12:33

What exactly do you need for the newbs? When I'm soooober! (lol I'm reeaaly pushing this "I'm drunk" thing aren't I? lol

What Questions need answering? Ask and ye shall recieve!
Legitimate Businessman. Honest.

Sir Alen
x2

Post by Sir Alen » Sat, 16. Nov 02, 12:43

'K... heres a few that spring to mind... :)

What is a theme and how do I use it?

How do I get a picture in my signature?

How do I put a message in my signature?

Cheers.... :roll:
Sir Alen
Queens Knight

If you have doubts... prepare to shed them now.

Steel
x4

Post by Steel » Sat, 16. Nov 02, 16:20

It may be easier to simply put a post at the top saying.

"Here is the games FAQ"

"Here is the forum FAQ"

"Please read these first".

and leave it at that, because everything (more or less) is actually covered in those. Its just that people don't read 'em ;-)

Anyway, I'll see what you lot think.

Cheers,

Steel

ElectricMonk
x3tc

Post by ElectricMonk » Sat, 16. Nov 02, 17:58

Most newbies don't understand the use of BBcode, so they can't insert an image with it.

As HTML is enabled, you could have a multiline HTML textbox with example BBcode inside and below the box would be an example of what the BBcode actually did.

Perhaps a list of things not allowed to be discussed on the forum? That's always a bonus in keeping things friendly :)

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 12:27

Hi Steel.

Well, hear is my 2 CR worth.

I haven't looked at the X faq because to be honest,, I know enough about the game not to have to do so. It's not something that I would need to do.

We need a seperate posting, a sticky locked post with a list of the forum rules and regs if you like. It's not fare to expect a newby to come on hear and get bked for breaking a rule that hasn't even been written down or displayed. If a socalled rule is just put in a normal post, then it's just going to go down and down with no chance of anybody actually reading it. The same can be said for any of us. I am going out later today. If there was a major flame war, then it was decreed that because of X topic, X topic should not be talked about on hear, when I come back and bring it up inorcently because I haven't read the said thread, because it has gone to far down or it's so long that I can't be bothered, would it be fare if I was to get BKed? Just using myself as an example don't worry, but you see my point.

That is/was always my biggest gripe with THQ and it has been for months as any of the regular readers on the old forum would know because I discussed this openly.

Erm right, can't think of anything else, we already have the faq from Rapier, that's more than adiquate to answer any X-Q's. It's just the sticky do's and don'ts thread we need now.

Mr Dog
x2

Post by Mr Dog » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 15:32

Hi Steel....

I'm not sure if this is what you mean.....

I have discovered little bits and pieces over the years about XT - theyre just snippets - but people do seem to ask about them regularly so as I think of them i'll post them on here abd you can use them as you wish.... if you think theyre useful....

The problem with the key delay and keys not responding correctly in the menus in Xt - using XP - can be resolved by running the game in WIN98 compatability mode - right click the XT exe - select properties and select the compatability tab - click the compatability mode check box.

well.... there's more and as i think of them i'll stick them on here - if this is the sort of thing you want

hth
mr dog
ALIENWARE Aurora4
i7 windows 8 64bit
Gtx 690

VincentTH
x4

How about W2K?

Post by VincentTH » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 20:51

I run W2K at home, and noticed that Xt does not register my key strokes (and/or Joystick fire) too. It is very pronounced especially when say, I have mIRC running in the background. I always thought that this is due to latency in the Joystick codes. Running Xt only seems to have better response, but Xt still occasionally misses a keystroke.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”