Att: Moderators....serious post viewing problem.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

User avatar
Argonaught.
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Att: Moderators....serious post viewing problem.

Post by Argonaught. » Fri, 15. Nov 02, 20:43

I'm using Opera to browse the forum...on a few occasions I've noticed that the last - second last posts of a few threads are missing when I go to view them, The only way I get to view these posts is if I do one of two things, the first is if I click the quote option then the text shows up in the text field or if I go back onto the forum index and click the view last post which is just to the side of the last posters name....
Is it a problem with Opera or a bug on the forum and is there a way to fix it? Or will I have to resort to IE5 (which I loath to use unless really desperate).

Anyone else using opera getting probs like this?
[MOD]X3TC No Fog / [MOD]X3AP No Fog / [MD]X3TC Menagerie Shipyard / [MD]X3AP Menagerie Shipyard
<==<<Argonaught>>==>

XBTF>XT>X2TT>X3R>X3TC>X3AP

I lurk alot for the most part now
:thumb_up:

RustiSwordz
Posts: 1637
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Post by RustiSwordz » Fri, 15. Nov 02, 20:48

Im using outlook vers 6 and i had this prob when the forum first started.

However recently its not done it.
RustiSwordz Art Blog:

http://rustiswordz.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Argonaught.
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Post by Argonaught. » Fri, 15. Nov 02, 21:07

Here's a snapshot of whate I'm getting:

Image

As you can see Rogues post is showing no text at all. And I should have options at the bottom of the page which don't show up at all in most cases.
Hope you can sort this out guys.
[MOD]X3TC No Fog / [MOD]X3AP No Fog / [MD]X3TC Menagerie Shipyard / [MD]X3AP Menagerie Shipyard
<==<<Argonaught>>==>

XBTF>XT>X2TT>X3R>X3TC>X3AP

I lurk alot for the most part now
:thumb_up:

General Antilles
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Post by General Antilles » Fri, 15. Nov 02, 21:49

I'm using IE6 and I have this problem fairly frequently. I'm glad it's not just me.

User avatar
moggy2
Posts: 4588
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Post by moggy2 » Fri, 15. Nov 02, 21:59

I'm using Opera 6.03 with Win98, and I have not seen this problem, yet.

Steel
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Re: Att: Moderators....serious post viewing problem.

Post by Steel » Fri, 15. Nov 02, 22:03

Argonaught. wrote:I'm using Opera to browse the forum...on a few occasions I've noticed that the last - second last posts of a few threads are missing when I go to view them, The only way I get to view these posts is if I do one of two things, the first is if I click the quote option then the text shows up in the text field or if I go back onto the forum index and click the view last post which is just to the side of the last posters name....
Is it a problem with Opera or a bug on the forum and is there a way to fix it? Or will I have to resort to IE5 (which I loath to use unless really desperate).

Anyone else using opera getting probs like this?
Hi,

I use IE6. Haven't seen this problem at all. Keep us posted as to the conditions that create it.

Thanks,

Steel

General Antilles
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Post by General Antilles » Fri, 15. Nov 02, 22:06

I only get it when I have more then one browser window open and they're both loading pages at the same time. It seems like the forum window 'gives up' and displays whatever it's loaded.

User avatar
BurnIt!
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
Posts: 4518
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Post by BurnIt! » Fri, 15. Nov 02, 23:48

I noticed this behaviour myself before.
Looks like this happens when nearly all bandwith is used for somethign else than the forum.
The forum stops loading and displays what it's got so far (just open the sourcecode, you won't see a </html> tag then.)

I assume the server timeout is a bit low, I'll check if this can be changed.
BurnIt!
In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft. / In peace lies strength.

Firebird
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Viewing problems

Post by Firebird » Sat, 16. Nov 02, 02:06

I have notied that posts from users of other browsers are alos very wide and dont display on the page width I have set on my browser, this is very odd.

The rest of the forum works fine on OE6+ and Netscape V7 (although I rarely use Netscape.

I would doubt that theres an issue with phpBB otherwise everyone would have the problem, Its more to do with how our browsers interprets the HTML it receives.

I have notice when writting webpages that I get vastly different effects on IE (main target browser) and browsers like Netscape and Mozilla, spacing and effects can be totaly different, the java plugin makes a huge difference as well.

The SUN one is pants in windows, its so slow and makes some elements looks completely different to the MS java plugin, which of course isn't generally available now SUN's put the boot in.

However, if you want to go back to the MS java plugin let me know and I'llpost it somewhere for you to download. I've never used Opera, so can't comment, but I suspect it suffers from the same problems as the rest.

Mis-interpretation..

8)
Regards - Jerry
i7-4770 3.4GHz | 8 GB DDR RAM | ASUS Z87 Board | 500GB SSD | GeF GTX 650 1GB Mem | X-Fi SB Sound | Win 7 Pro (64bit) SP1 | DirX V11

User avatar
Etolf
Posts: 1523
Joined: Mon, 11. Nov 02, 00:14

Post by Etolf » Sat, 16. Nov 02, 02:55

I'm using Opera 6.0 & am getting this problem, but only occassionally...

Spooky
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Post by Spooky » Sat, 16. Nov 02, 13:51

BurnIt! wrote:I noticed this behaviour myself before.
Looks like this happens when nearly all bandwith is used for somethign else than the forum.
The forum stops loading and displays what it's got so far (just open the sourcecode, you won't see a </html> tag then.)

I assume the server timeout is a bit low, I'll check if this can be changed.
This ghost is using IE6 and has not experienced this problem at any time on this forum, but it has a decent bandwidth.

I think you are right BurnIt! :) . If the problem is the server connection 'timing out' then the results that people are getting is expected.

The next time anybody has this problem on this forum, please do a 'view source' and send it to me via email.

Cheers,
Spooky (aka AdrianJ) :)

User avatar
Argonaught.
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Post by Argonaught. » Sat, 16. Nov 02, 19:15

@ Spooky,
I have sent you an email with the requested source code. The code is from this thread: http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434 HTH.

@Steel, update on problem

It seems to happen when there's more than one page to view.
I tried looking at this thread
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434
Helges post was missing from it and the links that should be at the end of the page were not there as in the image I posted above.
Also if it helps I'm only on 56k connection so it might be as burnit said, a server timeout.

Hopefully you folks will be able to work it out as it's a tad frustrating when you can't view stuff properly.
[MOD]X3TC No Fog / [MOD]X3AP No Fog / [MD]X3TC Menagerie Shipyard / [MD]X3AP Menagerie Shipyard
<==<<Argonaught>>==>

XBTF>XT>X2TT>X3R>X3TC>X3AP

I lurk alot for the most part now
:thumb_up:

Spooky
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Post by Spooky » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 02:18

Argonaught. wrote:@ Spooky,
I have sent you an email with the requested source code. The code is from this thread: http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434 HTH.

@Steel, update on problem

It seems to happen when there's more than one page to view.
I tried looking at this thread
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434
Helges post was missing from it and the links that should be at the end of the page were not there as in the image I posted above.
Also if it helps I'm only on 56k connection so it might be as burnit said, a server timeout.

Hopefully you folks will be able to work it out as it's a tad frustrating when you can't view stuff properly.
Hi Argonaught,

I have sent you an email :-)



Hello @ALL
We suspect that the problem was a setting in php that forces a timeout after 30 seconds. This has now been increased to 120 seconds.

If anybody notices this problem again, please let us know.

Cheers,
Spooky (aka AdrianJ)

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 04:59

just been looking at this topic and there is a change on screen.
Normally i do not have to scroll horozontally(sideways) only vertical but inside this topic i can only see 50% on the page (horozontally).
my res (screen area is on 800 x 600)

User avatar
moggy2
Posts: 4588
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Post by moggy2 » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 05:16

Patricia wrote:just been looking at this topic and there is a change on screen.
Normally i do not have to scroll horozontally(sideways) only vertical but inside this topic i can only see 50% on the page (horozontally).
my res (screen area is on 800 x 600)
That'd be because of that huge picture at the top. It happens on any web page that contains a picture that is bigger than your screen.

Post Reply

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”