Confused Thanks to you I understand Arrays lots better now! Idea

"[Its] time for the human race to enter the solar system"-Dan Quayle
LV
Sith Lord

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Tue, 11. May 04, 00:54    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Now now gentlemen

Any guide is a good guide

The only way this scripting forum is going to get anywhere is if it's users work together as the any official help/hints are about as likely as martians landing on earth tommorow Smile

It's a fine guide but i must admit it is hard to read and the code should standout, marklaverty has put some serious effort in here and i'd hope if someone else tidied it up mark would apprieciate it.

I'd happily tidy it up but I have nearly 30 scripts to tidy b4 1.4 comes out

If the peeps on this forum wants some scripting docs their going to have to make them themselves and if you havn't worked this out yet you never will Wink

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses
marklaverty

PostPosted: Tue, 11. May 04, 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Hi,

Ok, I'd just like to start by saying that I did ask for comments and that was because I wanted them, both good and bad.

I'm not one of these people who don't like being critisised, as long as it's helpfull.

Shara -> whilst your comments might may be percieved as a bit 'blunt', your sugestion about the code blocks was very usefull and I thank you for it. I have asked for this to be done ASAP.

That said, and this was never going to be a 'scripting in a nutshell guide'. It is aimed at helping people get started with scripting and is just an attempt to take some of the steepness out of the learning curve.

As LV said, it will be some time before we see a 'propper' scripting in a nutshell guide from egosoft, and we may never do.

With this in mind, the more that's written down by people the better. If you know how to do something with x2 scripts please consoider taking just half an hout or so and writing it down.

If you want send it to me and I'll add it to the guide, obviously stating your name as the person who submitted that section and thanking you profusely!

Shara

PostPosted: Tue, 11. May 04, 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

marklaverty wrote:
Hi,

Ok, I'd just like to start by saying that I did ask for comments and that was because I wanted them, both good and bad.

I'm not one of these people who don't like being critisised, as long as it's helpfull.

Shara -> whilst your comments might may be percieved as a bit 'blunt', your sugestion about the code blocks was very usefull and I thank you for it. I have asked for this to be done ASAP.

That said, and this was never going to be a 'scripting in a nutshell guide'. It is aimed at helping people get started with scripting and is just an attempt to take some of the steepness out of the learning curve.

As LV said, it will be some time before we see a 'propper' scripting in a nutshell guide from egosoft, and we may never do.

With this in mind, the more that's written down by people the better. If you know how to do something with x2 scripts please consoider taking just half an hout or so and writing it down.

If you want send it to me and I'll add it to the guide, obviously stating your name as the person who submitted that section and thanking you profusely!

I never meant to disrespect your guide. So, if it got perceived that way, that was not my intent. My intent was simply to provide feedback that was asked for, so I did. I noted two important things: (1) The format needed some work, and that was not your fault, but the maintainers of the site and (2) I expected a different guide. That was my expectation, and I never meant for it to reflect the quality of your guide. You meant to write a Scripting for Dummies guide, and so you achieved your objective - good show!

GoateeCat

PostPosted: Wed, 12. May 04, 05:57    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Well, my proxy finally let it through. I'm only a few pages in and already, BRAVO!! The nuances of the engine itself and not the code always annoyed me, but you make it all crystal clear.

I imagine when I'm done reading the whole shebang I'll have only laziness to blame for not creating scripts.

Laziness it is then! Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marklaverty

PostPosted: Wed, 12. May 04, 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Quote:
I never meant to disrespect your guide. So, if it got perceived that way, that was not my intent. My intent was simply to provide feedback that was asked for, so I did. I noted two important things: (1) The format needed some work, and that was not your fault, but the maintainers of the site and (2) I expected a different guide. That was my expectation, and I never meant for it to reflect the quality of your guide. You meant to write a Scripting for Dummies guide, and so you achieved your objective - good show!

cool Very Happy

no offence was intended or taken.

Quote:
Well, my proxy finally let it through. I'm only a few pages in and already, BRAVO!! The nuances of the engine itself and not the code always annoyed me, but you make it all crystal clear.

I imagine when I'm done reading the whole shebang I'll have only laziness to blame for not creating scripts.

Laziness it is then!

ROLF Very Happy

[DLM]Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri, 17. Sep 04, 23:21    Post subject: Impressive... Reply with quote Print

I actually managed to understand that. I'm looking forward to reading anything else you write as it's written in a really user friendly manner. I generally look at coding related stuff, see it in it's entirity and just get immensely confused. That managed to break it down into nice bitesized chunks and I actually feel like I could start playing with scripting a lil and see how it goes. Will play the game a lil more first to get an idea of what I really want from the game and then I'll try and script it Smile

R4v3n

PostPosted: Mon, 7. Feb 05, 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

the address has now changed, the scripting guide can be found here:

http://www.x2source.com/index.php?act=scriptguide

terrifiedkiller

PostPosted: Mon, 20. Mar 06, 00:37    Post subject: newb scripter looking to learn how to make a script Reply with quote Print

hi i am trying to make me a x3 script that will give me cash for every single kill i make and i'm trying to learn how to script using the guides here in the forums but i cant understand how anyone able to explain how?

BarclayMan

PostPosted: Tue, 28. Mar 06, 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

POS

Horsewhisperer

PostPosted: Wed, 24. May 06, 02:25    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Hi Fellas,

I tried to donload this guide, but it appears that the X2Script.com site is down.

Is it just maintenance, or is it down permanently? If so, is there anywhere else I can get the guide from?

Horsey

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)

PostPosted: Wed, 24. May 06, 03:07    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

well, considering it was posted over a year ago, then theres a chance that its no longer supported or avaialble

moggy2

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Wed, 24. May 06, 06:05    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I don't know what's up with x2source.com. It must have been there a few weeks ago. I downloaded the guide only recently.

I can't really host it without permission from the author, so I've emailed it to you. Hope that's the one you were looking for.

RSS Feed : Submit News Article : Download Scripts : Image Galleries
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Horsewhisperer

PostPosted: Wed, 7. Jun 06, 05:59    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Thanks for that. Smile