X2 stations - the only question that matters

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Al
x3tc

X2 stations - the only question that matters

Post by Al » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 12:09

So what we really need is a definitive answer regarding whether or not we can own shipyards in X2. So Steel, care to comment?

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 12:11

I want a station with turrets.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 12:13

I'm pretty sure that someone (Bernd or Steel) said that factories could have their own defenses, which I presume means turrets of some description.

Al
X2 Capture Guide

Rheuhll
x3

Post by Rheuhll » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 12:21

I would love to own my very own shipyard, but the resources needed to run it would be ver expensive! :(
It's probably going to need every resource that is available in the entire X-Universe :D

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 12:25

Yeah but it would be a fantastic thing to aim for. The ultimate in factory building. You could take over an entire sector just to produce all the required resources.

A huge hierarchy of factories to culminate in the production of your very own ships. And then you really rule the universe :twisted:

Al
X2 Capture Guide

StormDragoness
x3tc

Post by StormDragoness » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 12:27

No.. but help us push it for X-OU ;)

carran
x4

Post by carran » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 12:34

Al wrote:I'm pretty sure that someone (Bernd or Steel) said that factories could have their own defenses, which I presume means turrets of some description.

Al
What's the difference between Laser Towers and Turrets?? I can't see any advantage that Turrets have over Laser Towers except possibly turning rate. Laser Towers offer better firing arcs as they're placed away from the body of the station, therefore it only requires 4 to provide full 360 degree protection whereas a station would require more turrets due to their proximity.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 13:06

I'm presuming that if they are part of the station structure then they will be much harder to destroy than LTs. Perhaps turrets will also be able to act as anti-missile measures, which is one of the big failings of LTs IMO.

Al
X2 Capture Guide

Rheuhll
x3

Post by Rheuhll » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 13:19

Laser towers are pretty useless against very fast ships that just keep moving around. I'm sure that the AI of the new ships in X2 is a lot better, so they will just avoid they lasers. That's where the Gun Turrets come in. There range is shorter, but they will probably turn a lot faster than LT's.

WarpPig
x3tc

Post by WarpPig » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 13:59

Have a thumbs up for asking this essential question!

X-Warrior B AS
Moderator (Nederlands)
Moderator (Nederlands)
x3tc

Post by X-Warrior B AS » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 19:41

I want my own shipyard, and I don't care what it costs (virtual money of course :p)! :rant:

:rant:

:rant:

Stealth
x2

Post by Stealth » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 20:40

carran wrote:
Al wrote:I'm pretty sure that someone (Bernd or Steel) said that factories could have their own defenses, which I presume means turrets of some description.

Al
What's the difference between Laser Towers and Turrets?? I can't see any advantage that Turrets have over Laser Towers except possibly turning rate. Laser Towers offer better firing arcs as they're placed away from the body of the station, therefore it only requires 4 to provide full 360 degree protection whereas a station would require more turrets due to their proximity.
Well, since you mention the turrets/LTs, I hope the Ego-folks WILL fix the LT auto-rotation issue (that being the fact they rotate towards north EVERYTIME you leave the sector).

And yes, I, too, hope to build a shipyards some day... A Boron one... perhaps even start a new sector (hey, they said there was a CHANCE of renaming/retaking sectors...)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 20:55

StEaLtH wrote:Well, since you mention the turrets/LTs, I hope the Ego-folks WILL fix the LT auto-rotation issue (that being the fact they rotate towards north EVERYTIME you leave the sector).
Two points:

1) Is this a problem? The only time it will EVER have an effect is if you arrive in-sector just as a pirate gets within range of the laser towers, and how often does that happen?

2) ALL ships have the same "problem"--the game simply doesn't keep track of the direction the ship is pointing when you're not in the same sector, and I'm guessing it does this to reduce the calculations required in remote sectors. I guess it might be possible to modify it so ships point in the direction they happen to be moving in, but that wouldn't help for lasertowers because they don't move!

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 21:17

pjknibbs wrote:2) ALL ships have the same "problem"--the game simply doesn't keep track of the direction the ship is pointing when you're not in the same sector, and I'm guessing it does this to reduce the calculations required in remote sectors. I guess it might be possible to modify it so ships point in the direction they happen to be moving in, but that wouldn't help for lasertowers because they don't move!
True, but it's not hard to take the position of a ship, its destination in that sector and then work out the direction it is most likely to be headed in.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Stealth
x2

Post by Stealth » Tue, 11. Mar 03, 21:47

pjknibbs wrote:1) Is this a problem? The only time it will EVER have an effect is if you arrive in-sector just as a pirate gets within range of the laser towers, and how often does that happen?
It is a problem. In my X-iverse, the Pirates are a very aggressive lot. POssibly because of those two pirate bases I wrecked some time ago...
2) ALL ships have the same "problem"--the game simply doesn't keep track of the direction the ship is pointing when you're not in the same sector, and I'm guessing it does this to reduce the calculations required in remote sectors. I guess it might be possible to modify it so ships point in the direction they happen to be moving in, but that wouldn't help for lasertowers because they don't move!
True, but it would also prevent them from occasional crashing into the nearest station because they're mostly TSes!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”