Storyline

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Darlandra
x4

Storyline

Post by Darlandra » Mon, 13. Aug 18, 02:52

I haven't gotten a good feel from all the literature as to the style/quality of the storyline for the game. While I understand it's going to be sandbox like the rest, it seems storyline after X3: Reunion was veered away from except for text-box stories. X: Rebirth had some but it wasn't exactly what one would call riveting. What kind of story will X4 be having?

Général Grievous
x4

Post by Général Grievous » Mon, 13. Aug 18, 14:01

Ah, good question. I think we will have more information at the GC, but we know there will be several different start. So it won't be focused on a single player story, like Rebirth, X, X2 or X3 Reunion.

For the timeframe, i have no idea. As it seems gate reopenned, so i suppose it will be right after X Rebirth?
Il vaut mieux mobiliser son intelligence sur des conneries plutot que de mobiliser sa connerie sur des choses intelligentes...

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 13. Aug 18, 14:35

As long as they focused more on it and put more money towards a good story based campaign i'll be happy. If they dont, ill be annoyed. Yes i know everyone just wants sandbox on the forums most of the time but i enjoy games with missions that go through a story like homeworld, freespace 2 etc. Xbtf had one and x2 also, dunno about x3 as stopped then as didnt like the design choices like no cockpits and lack of docking like previous games etc and the interface. XR tried to have one but i thought it wasnt veery well done and only got up to defend a convoy shortly after u make a station.

Needs a 50/50 balance of sp story campaign and sandbox i feel is best. Weather others do i dunno, but thats what id like to see.
Last edited by Skeeter on Sun, 19. Aug 18, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Mon, 13. Aug 18, 16:14

The problem with a main storyline is that once you've done it, it generally gets in the way of later sandbox campaigns. If they can write a linear storyline that's purely "optional", along with less complex smaller plots that can be done with or without doing the main plot, that would be the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately, X3:TC was a case where you had to do the main plot missions in order to unlock most of the other plots. You also couldn't do a couple of other missions without doing the Goner plot first. If dealing peacefully with the Goners doesn't fit your character's own background or religion, then you're either going to have to break character or resign yourself to not getting those other plot rewards, even though they don't involve the Goners.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 13. Aug 18, 16:42

I liked XR's campaign in the sense that it gave a pretty good feel of the different game mechanics. It was a simple campaign, with no surprise, and a lot of bugs, but at least at the end I knew how to trade, build, board, hack, improve relations, etc. The lack of such a thorough introduction is pretty much why I never truly dived in X3. Sure, there were tutorials in the game, and the forums were pretty helpful too, but it's still not the same as being taught a through an in-game mission.

And yeah, despite it's flaws, XR's campaign is still fun to re-play every once in a while.

That being said, for X4, I would like to see more "specialized" missions. I mean like the rising tide, or argon's secret service, etc. Chain missions that are specific to an area, that can be accessed no matter the game start and that gives you an impression of moving the universe forward. We need more of these! XD
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Général Grievous
x4

Post by Général Grievous » Tue, 14. Aug 18, 18:25

Personnaly, i would love a secret mission where you find and old unique terran capital ship.
You'll have to repair it, searching for special coponments and then you get it.

But IMO, X Rebirth ploit wasn't soo bad. I liked it, and i hope we will see a good plot in X4.
After all, if people like the X series, i'ts because of the universe and its story too, not only the sandbox way of the game.
Il vaut mieux mobiliser son intelligence sur des conneries plutot que de mobiliser sa connerie sur des choses intelligentes...

Ricemanu
x4

Post by Ricemanu » Tue, 14. Aug 18, 19:57

Général Grievous wrote:Personnaly, i would love a secret mission where you find and old unique terran capital ship.
You'll have to repair it, searching for special coponments and then you get it.

But IMO, X Rebirth ploit wasn't soo bad. I liked it, and i hope we will see a good plot in X4.
After all, if people like the X series, i'ts because of the universe and its story too, not only the sandbox way of the game.
Agreed, X:R was good and gave a solid motivation to fight Plutarch, even after the main story was finished.

jukematt
x3tc

Post by jukematt » Sun, 19. Aug 18, 02:19

I liked X2 and X3:R where there was a story but it was entirely optional so at any point, you could leave the story and do your own thing and then choose to come back if you want. Stories connect you more to the universe as different locations seem more alive. And when you could meet the captain of the Argon One, it made it seem more like a ship operated by real people.

So I like sandboxes but I also really like stories!
"Happiness is an inner state that we choose to embrace or not. While others can be nurturing toward us, only we can choose to experience happiness." Micah R. Sadigh, PhD

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sun, 19. Aug 18, 02:24

jukematt wrote:I liked X2 and X3:R where there was a story but it was entirely optional so at any point, you could leave the story and do your own thing and then choose to come back if you want. Stories connect you more to the universe as different locations seem more alive. And when you could meet the captain of the Argon One, it made it seem more like a ship operated by real people.

So I like sandboxes but I also really like stories!
But... Ban Danna wasn't the captain, but a head figure of the Argon Intelligence Service.

Anyway, as far as the streams showed, we will get certain mini stories for each character we start as... Which is pretty awesome and sufficient if you ask me.

Return to “X4: Foundations”