PC death

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sun, 29. Jul 18, 22:10

RegisterMe wrote:{cough Anti cough}
Blimy....

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 29. Jul 18, 22:52

Morkonan wrote:But, it will happen again - I guarantee it. :)
No argument there :(.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 30. Jul 18, 00:54

Morkonan wrote:I've had this happen three times with a laptop running Win10...
Windows 10 sometimes decides to update your drivers without your consent. Which is great but when those laptop brands think it is a good idea to make drivers "proprietary" then it might happen - it happened to me - that like AMD registers the proprietary device id from your old gpu as a brand new RX580 for some reason and installs "newer" drivers for this GPU.
All hail the Bluescreen.

Thanks, ACER!! I hate Acer. Never again.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 30. Jul 18, 20:02

Tamina wrote:
Morkonan wrote:I've had this happen three times with a laptop running Win10...
Windows 10 sometimes decides to update your drivers without your consent.
^--- This.

"Hey, guess what? While you're working with critical computer components, we're gonna update all your drivers and while their registering we're gonna lock up everything interacting with those devices so everything loses its mind. Won't that be fun?"
Which is great but when those laptop brands think it is a good idea to make drivers "proprietary" then it might happen
All the devices on my laptop is chip manufacturer or Microsoft. There's "companion software" of course. I should probably let Win10 dump all that stuff, but I don't use my laptop for anything important. (If it exploded, I'd lose nothing except for a few notes and such and have a bit of inconvenience.)

Question: Win10 has an option to remove anything not in a normal Win10 install. ie "Clean full install" Anyone had any experience with that and, if so, any general opinions on doing that? There's not a lot of crap the provider put on that laptop. Microsoft is actually more guilty of unwanted bundling. But, I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and wipe that junk, anyway.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 30. Jul 18, 20:23

Morkonan wrote:.....
Question: Win10 has an option to remove anything not in a normal Win10 install. ie "Clean full install" Anyone had any experience with that and, if so, any general opinions on doing that? There's not a lot of crap the provider put on that laptop. Microsoft is actually more guilty of unwanted bundling. But, I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and wipe that junk, anyway.
I have no experience with the unwanted stuff because for many years I build my PCs myself and hence only things get on there which I really want.

However, shortly after a successful upgrade to W10 I've decided to replace the system HD (an old raptor) with a new 500GB one. For that I had to do a "clean install" using Macrium Reflect and a 32GB memory stick (think 16GB is the minimum). It worked fine. There is a little "trick" to tell the OS about the increased size of the HD but it was no big deal. Just follow the instructions on the Macrium Reflect website.

Not sure this is what you are looking for but I hope it helps.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 00:13

euclid wrote:I have no experience with the unwanted stuff because for many years I build my PCs myself and hence only things get on there which I really want.
Difficult to do with a laptop, though - The wood keeps catching on fire. :)
..It worked fine. There is a little "trick" to tell the OS about the increased size of the HD but it was no big deal. Just follow the instructions on the Macrium Reflect website.
What sort of license were you using? Full, I assume, if private copy.

By the way, relatable meme for Win10 shadow updates...

https://i.imgur.com/fqrMfhk.jpg

:)

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 00:15

I have to approve of MS's approach to W10 updates for home users.

Far too many people have let it slip in the past and allowed their PC to be a part of massive botnets. Forcing updates to combat this issue helps to tackle a global problem. Ultimately if users were more vigilant about the security of their devices this would not have been a requirement.

However I don't think an update issue was the cause of RM's issue. I am ready to be corrected ;)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 00:35

Antilogic wrote:I have to approve of MS's approach to W10 updates for home users.
However I don't think an update issue was the cause of RM's issue. I am ready to be corrected ;)
It's a common cause for the problem that he described.

On updates: I have no experience with people not updating their home copies. Well, maybe one, with a little old lady I helped on occasion. I'm sure it happens, but I would like to see Microsoft's actual statistics on that... I'm sure they have them and I want to really see if home-users not updating their OS was/is really as serious of an issue as they made it out to be.

That being said, screw them and their entire "Update" crap with Win10... There are times "I DO NOT WANT." Especially when I'm trying to troubleshoot something.

Oh, and changing privacy permissions on update... smooth move, Micro$oft. "We added some new features." Yeah, like "Micro$oft Auto-Rape and would you like to login and associate everything ever with your Micro$oft account, today" or "Whoops! We can't connect to your OneDrive account! ZOMGZ U BETTER LOG IN TO IT! HOLY CRAP THER'S A FIRE! LOGIN NAOW!!!"

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 01:30

Morkonan wrote: ......
Pretty sure Macrium Reflect is free, no license necessary.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 11:35

Almost as if in mock solidarity, having issues with random computer shutdowns. Suddenly the CPU has started overheating, and turns out a pin for the fan/heatsink shroud had unpinned itself. Somehow. While I was away for the weekend. Or something.

Of course need to get some thermal paste - and where can you buy thermal paste on same day I ask you? :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 20:33

euclid wrote:... no license necessary..
I was just wondering about what license type you were using and if you had any activation issues.
Chips wrote:..and where can you buy thermal paste on same day I ask you?..
Ah, the demise of the Mom&Pop computer stores thanks to Amazon et al. Thankfully, a lot of retailers that still sell computers, like "Best Buy" in the US, sell thermal paste. They might not sell the best stuff, but they sell it.

Finish building PC, close up the case, turn it upright with board sideways, hear <SPROING> followed by <KATHUNK>... Yup, CPU fan popped off. :) At least you caught the problem before the CPU fused itself to the board.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 23:32

I was just wondering about what license type you were using and if you had any activation issues
I had W7 before and the W10 was the "free" upgrade. Using the earlier described method I've actually "copied" the original system to a new HD and hence no activation issues.

Cheers Euclid

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Wed, 1. Aug 18, 03:51

euclid wrote:
Pretty sure Macrium Reflect is free, no license necessary.

Cheers Euclid
I use macrium reflect. If my drive dies I can install a new one and restore my system from the image I made. It took very little effort to make a backup on an external drive and store it. I highly recommend it. If you have something like a laptop or a system that came pre-loaded with windows where you don't have the windows installation discs you are setting yourself up for failure without a backup. Just don't encrypt it with truecrypt and a password you have no hope of remembering.
Who made that man a gunner?

Return to “Off Topic English”