EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish

Periodic dev updates?
View previous topic :: View next topic
Falcrack

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 04:14    Post subject: Periodic dev updates? Reply with quote Print

I think it would be nice if the devs could periodically (maybe once a week or two) write a short description of what they have been working on for the last few days, posted to the forums.

They may think that a description of what they are working on may be incomprehensible to most, or boring, but I think any info would be better than no info. If they don't want to mention stuff for fear of it being a spoiler, they could omit that.

It doesn't have to be at the level of Star Citizen ATV episodes, just a few written lines in a forum, but I think it would be a great, practically free way to help build anticipation for the game.

radcapricorn

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 05:06    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Then it'd just be "no, it isn't done yet" every week. Let the devs do the work in peace. Less talk, more done.

ajime

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 07:11    Post subject: Re: Periodic dev updates? Reply with quote Print

Falcrack wrote:
I think it would be nice if the devs could periodically (maybe once a week or two) write a short description of what they have been working on for the last few days, posted to the forums.

They may think that a description of what they are working on may be incomprehensible to most, or boring, but I think any info would be better than no info. If they don't want to mention stuff for fear of it being a spoiler, they could omit that.

It doesn't have to be at the level of Star Citizen ATV episodes, just a few written lines in a forum, but I think it would be a great, practically free way to help build anticipation for the game.
wait for the anniversary stream in 15 days. I am sure they will be forced some info out upon crowd rioting and fork chanting in the chat. Very Happy

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 09:36    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

The request for more and more regular updates has just recently been covered by CBJ in this topic.

CBJ wrote:
Fleabum wrote:
Sounds to me like Egosoft could do with a professional full time community facing member of staff that would interact with their community, the wider audience and press.

That would be lovely, but it's not something we have the resources to do.

Fleabum wrote:
Maybe even go as far as weekly dev diary updates, showcase new features. Show new ship highlights, maybe a bit of real play of the ship in flight, anything to keep the community engaged.

Sorry, but even if we could afford the time to do this, the reality is that there isn't something new to tell people about every week. Development can be a frustratingly slow process sometimes, even for those frantically doing the work, let alone for those tapping their fingers waiting for a new game to appear!

Fleabum wrote:
But we know this isn't Egosofts style. It's the mushroom ethos, keep us in the dark...

Really? We've done everything we are able to to change that this time around. I'm sorry if there isn't a non-stop flow of information, but we have given lots of information about the game already, and we will do so again when we have something new to tell people about.

Farnhams Legende und Nopileos als E-Books!

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

"If it's not impossible, there must be a way to do it." - Sir Nicholas Winton
Vandragorax

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 11:17    Post subject: Re: Periodic dev updates? Reply with quote Print

Falcrack wrote:
It doesn't have to be at the level of Star Citizen ATV episodes

This is just one of the MANY reasons why Star Citizen is taking YEARS longer than it should have to develop.... absolute lack of focus Very Happy

Egosoft get their heads down and crack on with development which is what they are best at (and what a small team without dedicated marketing people should do). It's great that we've already had so much info, and Bernd & team have been showing us several well put together videos of what's ready so far at a "semi-complete" stage, just lacking some polish and a few working parts.

Patience is a virtue! Wink

Ezarkal

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Haven't this topic (or very similar ones) already been answered times and times again by the devs?

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Sure, but we can't expect everyone to have seen all of those responses. Thankfully, there are enough people to quote what we've said in the past.

Here's a dev update. I'm currently waiting for X4 to compile, giving me a chance to check the forum. Aaannnd, it's finished. Razz

radcapricorn

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
I'm currently waiting for X4 to compile...

Ah, the infamous excuse of C++ programmers. Looks like we might be getting longer and longer dev updates the closer it is to release after all.

Falcrack

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Sure, but we can't expect everyone to have seen all of those responses. Thankfully, there are enough people to quote what we've said in the past.

Here's a dev update. I'm currently waiting for X4 to compile, giving me a chance to check the forum. Aaannnd, it's finished. Razz

Perfect! That's the level of dev update I was talking about!

blotunga

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

radcapricorn wrote:
Xenon_Slayer wrote:

Ah, the infamous excuse of C++ programmers. Looks like we might be getting longer and longer dev updates the closer it is to release after all.

Today with distcc and ccache it's less and less an excuse Smile. I remember a few years ago when building WebKit it took several hours (or even an entire night), today I can build it in less than 40 minutes.

radcapricorn

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

OT:
Spoiler

blotunga wrote:
radcapricorn wrote:

Ah, the infamous excuse of C++ programmers...

Today with distcc and ccache it's less and less an excuse Smile. I remember a few years ago when building WebKit it took several hours (or even an entire night), today I can build it in less than 40 minutes.

Heh, WebKit. One of the many reasons I went off Gentoo to something that doesn't require me to give up the system for overnight rebuilds.
Spoiler

Realistically though, I don't understand this "oh I want to hear more from the devs". Just look at Paradox dev diaries and the sheet-storm that ensues in those threads, sometimes resulting in devs having to take preventive action. It's just silly. We're already getting streams, screenshots, FAQs, etc. What more is there to know?

Commander_K

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

radcapricorn wrote:
Xenon_Slayer wrote:

Indeed.

Umbru

PostPosted: Sat, 9. Jun 18, 02:38    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I think Ego is doing a great job of the info flow this time around. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see more but that is just the part that is desperate for the game to come out and be just what I was hoping for in a new X game.

Nikola515

PostPosted: Sat, 9. Jun 18, 02:59    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Actually we got more information in one day than we got with whole XR or even X3 AP development Wink I think they give us enough information where we can see where development is going and what will be end game product... All though it wouldn't hurt them to answer some simple questions like how will mining work or crew management. Im hoping game is in early beta so they should have those things finished by now (assuming we are still getting this game this year) Wink

PowerPC603

PostPosted: Sat, 9. Jun 18, 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

They could also have kept their mouths shut until the game was released and none of us even knew they were working on X4.

Just be patient and they'll let us know what new there is to show us.
Forcing them to setup additional info-sessions will only delay the release of the game.

They already showed us a big amount of info and they're probably creating all the models for all factory-modules, trying to get them to fit properly, making the textures, deciding on production items, times, resources, whatever.

Until that's finished, they cannot show us anything new.
Or would you rather see a black box floating in space and have them say:
- this box will become a solar panel
- that box will become a crystal fab, but we're still deciding if it will be a Small or Medium sized one
- oh, and that box will probably become the shipyard but we're not sure yet

Would you be pleased with such answers? I guess not.
Just let Egosoft do their work and they'll let us know by themselves when there is anything new to show us.