EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish

Voice acting and dialogue
View previous topic :: View next topic
MegaJohnny

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 17. May 18, 16:51    Post subject: Voice acting and dialogue Reply with quote Print

Obviously X has always had campy dialogue, and I'm sure it won't stop with X4. But I feel in XR, NPCs make a lot more quips and witty remarks that sound too cartoony, and there's tons of lines where they just sound rude or aggressive, even if they're your own employees.

For example, NPCs coming aboard the Skunk:
"How does your co-pilot cope with the smell of sweaty male clothing back here?"
"Where's the bar?"
"I wish you'd change the decor, though!"

Captains finishing their orders:
"Yes? And the new orders are....?"
"Yes, we're wasting time now, waiting for new instructions."

The snooty English voice type as an architect:
"You pick it, we build it, you live with it!"
"Are we done looking at stuff here?"
"If you've finished admiring your new module, would you like us to start another one?"

And oh god, assassination briefings are a treasure trove:
"I want you to help someone meet up with their parents - their dead parents!"
"I want someone to make an abrupt exit - from life!"
"I need you to do a hatchet job - no, you don't need an axe!"
"I want you to scratch an itch for me - the itch is a person, and the scratching involves explosions!"

The list goes on...

So could the X4 dialogue be a bit less interesting? A bit more utilitarian? I can handle deadpan a lot better than brusque or flippant.

Ketraar
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Thu, 17. May 18, 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Personally I liked the sarcastic tone and the overall "we live in space so what's new" type attitude, mostly as that would be me I guess. Very Happy

MFG

Ketraar

Fleabum

PostPosted: Thu, 17. May 18, 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Ketraar wrote:
Personally I liked the sarcastic tone and the overall "we live in space so what's new" type attitude, mostly as that would be me I guess. Very Happy

MFG

Ketraar

X Space is like the frontier wild west back in the 1800's, full of gun toting lawless miscreants... and what do you think would happen if you spoke to a guy with a bad attitude holding a couple of big guns, especially as rude as some characters in X do... chances are you would get a hole in your chest, or in this case, a hull breach.

So no, your crew would not speak to you with disrespect, otherwise you would teach them to spacewalk without a suit. Wink

Regards
Flea

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Thu, 17. May 18, 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Ketraar wrote:

MFG

Ketraar

Yep, you. Razz Personally, I'm with the OP. Enough with the juvenile humor and comments. Most of us X players are grownups. The 'witty' comments would go over a lot better if they were few and far between, rather than a constant diet. Rolling Eyes

A5PECT

PostPosted: Fri, 18. May 18, 05:53    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I feel like cheesy NPCs are part of the X series.

I think XR's problem is it reduced the role of Betty. Her straightforward speech was a good balance to the NPC dialogue. Replacing her with Yisha made things a bit too cheesy.

Hopefully with the removal of a dedicated co-pilot Betty can become more prominent again.

Skeeter

PostPosted: Fri, 18. May 18, 07:31    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Would be nice if say Betty was for argon ship/race and different voiced computers for other races like one for paranoid, split, etc. Would make changing ships have a fresh experience.

3570k 4.5ghz 8gb DDR3 1600mhz MSI PE 670 2GB B_1149 22"/19" mon
ZaphodBeeblebrox

PostPosted: Fri, 18. May 18, 07:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Paranid voice could treat you with contempt as an inferior life form.

Split voice would be belligerent and comment on how bad your fighting skills are.

Boron (when they finally make an appearance) could be like some stoned hippy all love and peace man.

Teladi make encouraging remarks when ever you made a profit.

Xenon 01011100 11001100 etc.

Kha'ak would be sort of scratch an sniff pheromones. So we'd have to wait for smell-o-vision as an immersive new part of the game.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.
Honved

PostPosted: Fri, 18. May 18, 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I'm hoping we don't get multiple pronunciations of the same thing (Suss-a-NOW-a / Sue-ZAN-o-Vah) and other immersion breakers (mispronounced technical terms), probably because the voice actor(s) wasn't/weren't given enough guidance or pronunciation help by the development team.

Other than that, the developers should remember that we're probably going to hear the same lines over and over hundreds of times in the next few years, so something used frequently that's mildly "amusing" but corny is going to get old really fast. Save the quirky dialog for the one-time missions and major plotline speeches that we're only going to have to suffer through once per campaign after we've already seen them before.

Snafu_X3

PostPosted: Sat, 19. May 18, 00:41    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Honved wrote:
I'm hoping we don't get multiple pronunciations of the same thing (Suss-a-NOW-a / Sue-ZAN-o-Vah) and other immersion breakers (mispronounced technical terms), probably because the voice actor(s) wasn't/weren't given enough guidance or pronunciation help by the development team.
I haven't noticed the differences you spotted, but it makes a certain amount of sense to have some things pronounced differently due to different racial/species dialects (even thru a translator device)

Quote:
Other than that, the developers should remember that we're probably going to hear the same lines over and over hundreds of times in the next few years, so something used frequently that's mildly "amusing" but corny is going to get old really fast. Save the quirky dialog for the one-time missions and major plotline speeches that we're only going to have to suffer through once per campaign after we've already seen them before.
HIGHLY UPVOTED!

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) Cool DxDiag
Zetoss

PostPosted: Sat, 19. May 18, 07:08    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I'm in the "keep-the-cheesy-but-cut-the-rude" camp. Employee giving their boss a bad attitude for no reason? SO fired, so very very mega fired, possibly fired and then kicked out of an airlock drifting towards a gas giant with a slowly leaking suit. Merchant treating customers like pests? Great way to go out of business, also a great way to hook up with masochists, get socially ruined and start a knife collection in the torso.

Some dork always cracking the same stale jokes over and over? Most of us probably know someone like that in real life, good background noise as long as they make sure to stay in the background. Razz

On the note of people pronouncing stuff totally wrong or different, keeping that part a LOT more in check would be nice but one thing where I'd love for stuff to instead deviate a little more is having deliberately different expressions. Can't think of any good example right now but occasionally using different words for the same thing makes it feel a bit less static and more like the thing is being mentioned enough to get various nicknames. Terrible example but Kha'ak could sometimes be called "beam-bugs" by pilots who encounter them often, because of their weapons.

Ketraar
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 19. May 18, 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I guess none of you watched Firefly.

MFG

Ketraar

Dingus Rex

PostPosted: Sat, 19. May 18, 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Voice acting. Dialogue. Character development. Character models and animations. Walking on stations.

These things have never been strong points in the X series. At times they are annoying enough to actually take away from the game experience. X should play to its strengths rather than tacking on this extra layer of poorly implemented(in my opinion) ancillary stuff.

There's nothing inherently wrong with cheesy dialogue or humor but it's not something X does particularly well. It gets old fast.

MegaJohnny

PostPosted: Sun, 20. May 18, 02:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

On the inconsistent pronunciation, I think most of that was down to different recordings - by AP Betty's lines were something of a patchwork quilt. I doubt X4 will have this problem, as I can't see any important names carrying over from XR (and I'd be flabbergasted if they recycled any lines from X3).

As long as she doesn't say "Ommicron Loorae", though, it could be worse...

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Mon, 21. May 18, 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Ketraar wrote:
I guess none of you watched Firefly.

MFG

Ketraar

Wrong! But we didn't watch it hundreds or thousands of times, hearing the same dialogue over and over and ...... Razz

radcapricorn

PostPosted: Wed, 23. May 18, 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

On the topic of creativity in general, I have two words:

Rahanas
Sanahar

I mean, forget X3's miss-isles vs. miss-eels, this is kindergarten galore.