Will a CAG buy a jumpdrive

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Codejnki
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun, 18. Dec 05, 04:54

Will a CAG buy a jumpdrive

Post by Codejnki » Tue, 15. May 18, 03:16

I have a couple of CAG pilots who are either 4th or 5th level. I realized that I never outfitted them with a jumpdrive.

Will the pilots take the initiative and purchase one on their own or do I need to hunt them down and give them one?

Timsup2nothin
Posts: 3167
Joined: Thu, 22. Jan 09, 18:49

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 15. May 18, 04:16

I don't know if they will, but I'd never let them. Wandering off task looking for stuff is the surest way for a CAG to get slaughtered.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RainerPrem
Posts: 1504
Joined: Wed, 18. Jan 06, 08:39

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 15. May 18, 05:23

Timsup2nothin wrote:I don't know if they will, but I'd never let them. Wandering off task looking for stuff is the surest way for a CAG to get slaughtered.
Hi,

this is a strange opinion. CAGs will cover the same sectors with or without jumpdrive. Only without one they need to cross through all of the sectors in between.

So: No they don't buy one. And yes: I DO outfit ALL CAGs with jumpdrive from the begin. In fact I always buy all new freighters with an installed jumpdrive and outfit used ships with one immediately.

cu
Rainer

Timsup2nothin
Posts: 3167
Joined: Thu, 22. Jan 09, 18:49

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 15. May 18, 08:22

RainerPrem wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:I don't know if they will, but I'd never let them. Wandering off task looking for stuff is the surest way for a CAG to get slaughtered.
Hi,

this is a strange opinion. CAGs will cover the same sectors with or without jumpdrive. Only without one they need to cross through all of the sectors in between.

So: No they don't buy one. And yes: I DO outfit ALL CAGs with jumpdrive from the begin. In fact I always buy all new freighters with an installed jumpdrive and outfit used ships with one immediately.

cu
Rainer
I think you misunderstood. I don't know if a CAG will go buy a jump drive on their own, because I always supply them with their jump drive. I know that I NEVER give them fight command software, because if they traipse away on their own in search of drones, or mosquitoes, they often get themselves killed in the process. Anything my CAG/CLS pilots get, they get from me.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Triaxx2
Posts: 7180
Joined: Tue, 29. Dec 09, 03:15

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 15. May 18, 13:02

They will buy a jump drive automatically. But they don't go looking for it, it'll be automatically delivered but it's a higher cost because of it. (It's listed specifically in the instruction manual that comes with the bonus pack.)
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

User avatar
X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
Posts: 20931
Joined: Sun, 2. Apr 06, 16:38

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 15. May 18, 15:35

Triaxx2 wrote:They will buy a jump drive automatically. But they don't go looking for it, it'll be automatically delivered but it's a higher cost because of it. (It's listed specifically in the instruction manual that comes with the bonus pack.)
What you describe is how it works for the Mk3 trader, which can use the jumpdrive from level 8 onwards, and will order one at level 12. Mk3 and CAG are different scripts from different authors though.
Besteht Interesse an einem Nopileos-Hörbuch?

Farnhams Legende und Nopileos als E-Books!

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

"If it's not impossible, there must be a way to do it." - Sir Nicholas Winton

jlehtone
Posts: 17110
Joined: Sat, 23. Apr 05, 21:42

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 15. May 18, 15:59

Triaxx2 wrote:... (It's listed specifically in the instruction manual that comes with the bonus pack.)
:? I did just iterate every occurrence of (sub)word "jump" in X3AP Bonuspack Readme and saw no such claim.

The Trade Mk3 (aka UT) does auto-order Jumpdrive and that was listed in (X2/X3R?) Bonuspack Readme, when the UT script was still in the Bonuspack and not in base game as in X3AP.


CAG and CLS do (according to manual) go to buy Fighter Drones, Engine and Rudder Tunings / Mosquitos, if Fight Mk1 / Mk2 are installed. Drones and Mosquitos are consumables, unlike software/JD.

They neither fetch nor order Jumpdrive. Furthermore, their default is to not jump to trade destination even if they have level and JD. Pilots of all levels do carry 40 ECell (4 jumps?) if the ship has JD, presumably for emergency jump. (CAG and CLS1 refuel at homebase. CLS2 expects you to set refuelling waypoints.)



Yes, you have to explicitly get the jump drives.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Honved
Posts: 1215
Joined: Sun, 20. Jun 10, 14:53

Post by Honved » Tue, 15. May 18, 19:26

Since it's often desirable to have a CAG operate in a relatively confined area, I normally only give them a JD if they're allowed to stray more than 2 sectors from the factory. In most cases, it's simply not needed, and most of the saved transit times on such short jumps will be offset by the detours to restock E-cells.

Mk.3 traders, on the other hand, WILL buy the JD on their own after some point, so it may be better if you supply it in advance, before they take it upon their own inititative and pay extra to have it delivered.

Timsup2nothin
Posts: 3167
Joined: Thu, 22. Jan 09, 18:49

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 15. May 18, 21:07

This makes me wonder something about Mk3s, which I haven't used in a long time and don't want to use just so I can find out for myself.

1) If I am on hostile terms with everyone that has jump drives to sell will my Mk3 pilot still be able to order one and get it delivered?

2) If I transfer a jump drive out from under my Mk3 pilot will he order another one?

I'm sure you can see where this is going...
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RainerPrem
Posts: 1504
Joined: Wed, 18. Jan 06, 08:39

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 16. May 18, 05:56

jlehtone wrote: ... Furthermore, their default is to not jump to trade destination even if they have level and JD. Pilots of all levels do carry 40 ECell (4 jumps?) if the ship has JD, presumably for emergency jump. (CAG and CLS1 refuel at homebase. CLS2 expects you to set refuelling waypoints.)

Yes, you have to explicitly get the jump drives.
Correct, you explicitly need to activate jump drive usage. The default fuel reserve is 10% of the total storage. The typical Mercury/Mistral load is 400 eCells. But you can change this if your freighters have different work area sizes.

cu
Rainer

Triaxx2
Posts: 7180
Joined: Tue, 29. Dec 09, 03:15

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 16. May 18, 12:49

Yup, definitely had it confused with Trade Mk3. Had forgotten that one was even part of the bonus pack. :P
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

RainerPrem
Posts: 1504
Joined: Wed, 18. Jan 06, 08:39

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 16. May 18, 13:28

Honved wrote:... detours to restock E-cells.
This can only happen if the home factory doesn't have any e-Cells in stock at all. Even if this factory does not produce them, all CAGs refuel when docking.

cu
Rainer

zazie
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon, 7. Mar 05, 15:55

Post by zazie » Mon, 11. Jun 18, 15:09

Timsup2nothin wrote:1) If I am on hostile terms with everyone that has jump drives to sell will my Mk3 pilot still be able to order one and get it delivered?

2) If I transfer a jump drive out from under my Mk3 pilot will he order another one?
Speaking about X3TC and earlier, don't know about AP:
Yes and yes.

The combination of both methods was - almost - the only way of getting JDs when playing "pirate" games. The only other method - capping ships and hoping the JD would be part of the equipment - is not really an alternative as the probability is veeeery low

[on a side note: I am positively sure that somebody will 'jump in' telling us that he earned a lot of JDs from capping. Which tells us: The Random Generator is not everybody's darling ...]

Timsup2nothin
Posts: 3167
Joined: Thu, 22. Jan 09, 18:49

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 11. Jun 18, 20:38

zazie wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:1) If I am on hostile terms with everyone that has jump drives to sell will my Mk3 pilot still be able to order one and get it delivered?

2) If I transfer a jump drive out from under my Mk3 pilot will he order another one?
Speaking about X3TC and earlier, don't know about AP:
Yes and yes.

The combination of both methods was - almost - the only way of getting JDs when playing "pirate" games. The only other method - capping ships and hoping the JD would be part of the equipment - is not really an alternative as the probability is veeeery low

[on a side note: I am positively sure that somebody will 'jump in' telling us that he earned a lot of JDs from capping. Which tells us: The Random Generator is not everybody's darling ...]
Thanks...and, yeah, that's exactly where I was going.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

zazie
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon, 7. Mar 05, 15:55

Post by zazie » Thu, 14. Jun 18, 09:50

Oh, a bit of additional information (haven't thought of that in my previous post):
In X3R and X3TC, a MK3-pilot will keep its "get away from enemies as soon as possible"-features even in situations when he has 'lost' the JD.

This is a priceless feature in the early days of a pirate game: you are struggling for every single credit and your first Mk3-ship has got his first jumpdrive. Of course you take it over to your playership. The freighter is now for a couple of time (first for earning the 500k cr. for another JD and second for the time of delivery) without a JD. He obviously can't jump to profitable trades. But if he is attacked he will jump away!

So - in a pirate game - don't forget to equip your [first] Mk3-Freighter with maximum shields allowing him to charge the JD when under attack and getting away with limited damage.

EDIT: Not everything is wrong in this post, but the core statement is false: It is wrong that freighters would jump without JD. See explanation (and excuse) in my post from june 18.
Last edited by zazie on Mon, 18. Jun 18, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”