Relatively new player - CWIR or New Frontier?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Bawtzki
xr

Relatively new player - CWIR or New Frontier?

Post by Bawtzki » Thu, 3. May 18, 00:05

Hi

I recently started playing X:R and put in about 50h into Free Play so far, enough to get a pretty good feel for the basics. I'm now at the stage where I'll try my hand at station building and once that is done I'd like to install one of the larger mods that offer the option of dynamically changing the universe (ownership of sectors, permanent station destruction, etc).

I've read that CWIR is more or less feature complete (1.66 being the latest version if I'm not mistaken?) but TNF also sounds very interesting. I'd also love to know if any of the two mentioned mods in any way conflict with the ones I already have installed:

AutoCrew
AutoTrain
Black Market Seminars
Capital Ship Bridge 4.30+
Craft Jumpdrive Coolant
Exploration Light
Faster Capital Ships
Faster Player Missiles
Fly-by Info Scan
Fly-by Lockbox
Fly-by Looting
Fly-by Repair
Fly-by Subscribe
Improved Object Menu
Secret Stash
Show Skills

Fwiw, I have Steam version X:R, running the latest official patch (4.3)

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 4. May 18, 04:55

For compatibility questions, if might be better to ask in the bigger mod's thread (CWIR or TNF in this case). You will have more chance of receiving relevant answers from other players who have tested the same combinations you're looking for, or even by the mod creators themselves.

From personal experience, CWIR had no issues with these:

Black Market Seminars
Many crafting mods
Exploration Light
Many of the "Fly-by"
Secret Stash
Show Skills

If I can recall correctly, I had a small issue with CWIR vs autocrew when ships built at your own shipyards were concerned. It was a few years ago and I have no idea if it was ever fixed, but you might want to look out for that. Personally, I just switched autocrew off and adapted my play style with a combination of "show skills" and "more crew". I never bothered to check back if anything changed.

For the others, they are simply mods I never used, so I can't comment. Considering TNF is made by the same team as CWIR, I would expect similar compatibility. I can be heavily mistaken on this matter, though. As I have mentioned in your other thread, I have yet to try this mod, and I have no idea of the extent the alterations it provides.

When testing mods, what I recommend is to install the major mods first, one at a time, then add the smaller mods only a few at a time. Between each additions, play for a while and check if there are bugs or glitches. That way it's easier to identify compatibility issues.

As for CWIR vs TNF, once again you should ask in the relevant thread. TNF being the "descendant" of CWIR, it's users may have experience with both mods, so you might get some good opinions over there. My advice, though: Nothing beats hands on experience. Try one for a few dozen hours, then try the other. Mods are basically ways to adapt the game to your tastes and play style. Anyone can suggest something, but it might just not be the answer you're looking for.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Bawtzki
xr

Post by Bawtzki » Fri, 4. May 18, 06:12

Thanks for suggestions, I'll ask in the CWIR thread for more details. I'm leaning more towards CWIR anyway because stability is more important than features to me right now. And the two I'm looking for (factions taking over sectors and permanent destruction) seem to be included in CWIR.

Clifffitir

Post by Clifffitir » Sun, 6. May 18, 01:05

Bawtzki wrote:Thanks for suggestions, I'll ask in the CWIR thread for more details. I'm leaning more towards CWIR anyway because stability is more important than features to me right now. And the two I'm looking for (factions taking over sectors and permanent destruction) seem to be included in CWIR.
New frontier is better by far. Its also actively being worked on and updated so if problems do arise its more likely to be addressed. Played my share of CWIR, but NF is better.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”