EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish
Log inRegister
 
Trust, and faith in the developer.
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
zurakx





Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Posts: 137 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 7. May 18, 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I'm one of those people that bought rebirth and really regretted it. The money was not even an issue I make plenty. I was more upset that i was a sale and therefor a check mark in the "people like this game" category. Of course I did not try to do a refund through steam. They offered a product and I bought it, end of story. But in fairness to them i remember them saying ahead of time that rebirth was not x4. I was warned.

Of course, this time we are getting "x4" and i hope that it lives up to the namesake. I expect that I will get a lot of things I liked about x3, as well as a few things here and there that I dont like, most of which can hopefully be fixed with mods. I am not expecting that I'll be disappointed with x4.

But when it comes to faith I dont really have it right now. Rebirth damaged that and its going to take a good product (IMO) to get it back.

The only way I could see myself preordering (which i said id never do again Laughing ) is if it came with early access AND through live streams ect I was 99 percent sure that I would like the game.

No ill will towards egosoft on my part though as they are their own company. I just hope that they really have decided to revisit those roots this time around Smile


_________________
300 pages of complaining before release or bust!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nikola515





Joined: 04 May 2012
Posts: 2866 on topic
Location: DeVries
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 7. May 18, 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Trust is earned and not just given in my opinion Wink

Thanks to XR lots of old fans lost fate in Ego or even future of X4.... All this could have been avoided if Egosoft didn't tie XR to X universe (they should called it something else). All though XR (now) is ok game on its own it is horrible X game.


_________________
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Snafu_X3





Joined: 28 Jan 2009
Posts: 3886 on topic
Location: London, UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 11. May 18, 04:49    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Tks for the detailed reply Scoob, altho I think you may have missed one of my points: 'necked data flow from <storage> (whether SSD, RAM or cache) to CPU

No matter; I hope everything turns out well in the end Smile


_________________
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) Cool DxDiag
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Erqco



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 07 Nov 2010
Posts: 329 on topic
Location: Maryland
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 14. May 18, 08:05    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Gnorog wrote:
Spero wrote:

Nobody "literally wants a remastered X3". They just don't want a U-turn on the mechanics that made the X series a solid franchise, which is what XR was.


A "remastered X3" would be an instant buy on my part. After XR I'm very cautious about any "innovation" on the part of Egosoft.


Plus one, I will instant buy both, TC and AP remastered.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spankahontis





Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 2175 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 25. May 18, 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

MegaJohnny wrote:
I wouldn't say I have faith - if all we had was the vague promise of "a real X4" I would be quite worried.

But consider how much we have seen working in-engine on one of the streams:

  • Flying (almost) every ship and switching between them
  • Piloting capital ships
  • Teleportation
  • Freeform placement & construction of stations
  • Multiple weapon slots on fighters
  • Graphical ship equipment editor
  • The new map, in all its glory
  • Travel engines
  • TOAs/superhighways (whatever they are in X4)
  • Real carriers, carrying ships, not just drones


Yes, any or all of this could be gone at release, but considering they've programmed the basics of it and shown it running to us, I think it's much less likely.

All this is very encouraging to me, because it's a clear departure from XR where so many things were fixed. Player ship fixed, ship loadout fixed, station locations and build orders fixed. Command and control for your ships much reduced. Being able to choose so much more in X4 will make you feel much more like a real part of the universe, which alongside empire-building is a main draw of X for me.



Personally X4 seems to be what Egosoft wanted Rebirth to be, but couldn't afford to add features to it any further and had to disable unfinished scripts for the time being and released it in the state it was during 1.0.

Obvious they were rushed to release something either by money constraints or by their Publisher.
And what we got was a train wreck. After 4.0 and 2 Dlc Later however?
It was a great game that stood out in it's own right, clocked 2700+ Hours so far on it.
Seeing the positive reviews that came too late showed that in it's state at 4.0+ Rebirth would have been much more warmly received.


_________________
There is no.. WaaaHH!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Morkonan





Joined: 25 Sep 2011
Posts: 1614 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 30. May 18, 22:00    Post subject: Re: Trust, and faith in the developer. Reply with quote Print

Musicker wrote:
...I'm an Egosoft Fan, and I'm proud of it.


^--- This.

I didn't buy Rebirth. I knew I wouldn't like it because it wasn't "X4." (To sum) But, did I break "faith" with the people that built one of my favorite games, ever? No. Why? There was absolutely no reason to.

Egosoft has demonstrated that it cares about their community of players. They do this constantly. It may have also been a factor in some of what we saw in Rebirth - They saw support for certain design elements in feedback, but they may have listened to intently to vocal fans and strayed.

From what I understand, Rebirth still has fans. Some are here, in this forum, obviously. So, it wasn't a broken game, Egosoft didn't abandon it, Egosoft continues to pump out patches for things as they can and they're being exceedingly open about the development of X4.

What's not to like?

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dreamer2008



MEDALMEDAL

Joined: 24 Dec 2011
Posts: 202 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 31. May 18, 11:16    Post subject: Re: Trust, and faith in the developer. Reply with quote Print

Musicker wrote:

I'm not trying to kiss anyone's ass here folks, I'm just stating facts. And the facts I'm looking at, show that Egosoft cares about its games, and its players more than any other company, ever in the gaming environment all over the world.

So.. I have trust at this point. X4 may have bugs when they release it. It most likely will, because no testing will ever encompass all the different configurations and hardware and software situations we have out here in the real world. But they will release it when they think it is sufficiently stable on most platforms, and then they'll make changes based on feedback, as they always have.

Thank you, Egosoft, for listening to all of our various opinions, positive or negative, and staying true to your creations, to the point of updating them even 10 or more years after they were released.

I'm an Egosoft Fan, and I'm proud of it.


I love the X3 games as well, still play them now with Litcube's, IEX or Mayhem. But how Egosoft acted with X Rebirth was not okay at all, let's be honest. First they made the game in secret without caring about player feedback, and secondly, way worse in my eyes, was the complete denial when it was clear they f**** up with X Rebirth. I still remember in interviews at that time not admitting anything about their mistakes and that was just wrong. And even after that they kept the high price, and even released paid DLC's. If they still have this attitude now, I'll keep my hopes in check for X4, we will see what we get at release.


_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
spankahontis





Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 2175 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 2. Jun 18, 19:53    Post subject: Re: Trust, and faith in the developer. Reply with quote Print

Musicker wrote:
I've been playing the X games for something like 15 years now. I absolutely love what they have created, and have almost 7600 hours in X3:TC alone on Steam. However, I first bought the game long before I ever got it on Steam, and played it for countless hours back when it first came out as well, so I'm figuring something like 10,000 hours. I also have over 2100 hours in Albion Prelude. I don't even want to think about how many hours I have in X3:Reunion.. the first game I ever played by Egosoft. I just know it was a constant in my life for years. (My Steam name is Musicker, by the way, if anyone wants to verify these numbers)

Rebirth was a disappointment that I was never able to really get into even though I tried very hard.. but I have absolute faith that Bernd and crew will pull off another masterpiece with X4. They know what we, as X series fans have always loved about the games, and I trust that they will strive to bring back that magic.



Speak for yourself, I clocked nearly 3000 Hours in Rebirth, allot more than I did in the X Trilogy combined.
Not everyone thinks Rebirth was a bad game, X3 certainly wan't a 10 out of 10, it had it's problems as did Rebirth, but I enjoyed both titles and clocked many hours on both.


_________________
There is no.. WaaaHH!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nemesis1982





Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 650 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 4. Jun 18, 19:35    Post subject: Re: Trust, and faith in the developer. Reply with quote Print

dreamer2008 wrote:

I love the X3 games as well, still play them now with Litcube's, IEX or Mayhem. But how Egosoft acted with X Rebirth was not okay at all, let's be honest. First they made the game in secret without caring about player feedback, and secondly, way worse in my eyes, was the complete denial when it was clear they f**** up with X Rebirth. I still remember in interviews at that time not admitting anything about their mistakes and that was just wrong. And even after that they kept the high price, and even released paid DLC's. If they still have this attitude now, I'll keep my hopes in check for X4, we will see what we get at release.


Egosoft does not have a good history when it comes to communication. However what you fail to release is that they do not ow you anything. They create a product and you buy it. After they sold the product they worked tirelessly to get the issues resolved and did so for many of them. They provided one of the DLC's free of charge and the other was 10 bucks.

They make mistakes however saying they do not own up to them is going a bit to far. What I do agree on is that especially Bernd had a though time admitting they fouled up quite a few things. However is that really that bad?

Also the end result isn't that bad and there are many who enjoy it, including me.


_________________
Save game editor an CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fame





Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 30 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Tue, 5. Jun 18, 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

As far as trust in ES ... i still have it.
There support on all of there games is something not very comom these days and they have been doing this for a very long time Smile
Despite the fact i still don´t like Rebirth... can´t help it and yes i tried several times.
Currently waiting for Foundation but this time ... sorry no pre-order. WIll wait and see when its done.

Fame


_________________
Its a problem if you don´t have any problems.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uncle Benis





Joined: 21 Feb 2015
Posts: 15 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 16. Jun 18, 16:16    Post subject: Re: Trust, and faith in the developer. Reply with quote Print

spankahontis wrote:
I clocked nearly 3000 Hours in Rebirth

My sincere condolences.

As for trusting egosoft to make X4 a good game, after playing XR its a definitive no from me. XR is just so chock-full of just downright terrible design decisions that should never have left the brainstorming session they were proposed at. Instead of acknowledging the unhappy accident that is XR and agreeing to never speak of it again, egosoft doubles down on objectively terrible, excruciatingly unfun, 90% downtime gameplay, insisting they didnt do nothing wrong.

Someone, or some group of people inside the decision making part of the dev team suffers from a severe case of misunderstood genius complex, and has to understand that hardcore players hate XR not because they "dont get it", but precisely and explicitely because they DO get it, and its awful.

And like the others in the thread, I will INSTANTLY shell out, day one, for a remaster of X3 on an updated engine, but Im VERY certain I wont be bying X4 from what we know about it so far.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chips





Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Posts: 771 on topic
Location: UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 16. Jun 18, 17:05    Post subject: Re: Trust, and faith in the developer. Reply with quote Print

Uncle Benis wrote:

Someone, or some group of people inside the decision making part of the dev team suffers from a severe case of misunderstood genius complex, and has to understand that hardcore players hate XR not because they "dont get it", but precisely and explicitely because they DO get it, and its awful.


I disagree. I sometimes feel a bit guilty, I played since X2, X3 in all flavours... and I remember commenting in feedback that I would probably not buy another X game in its current incarnation; to me the universe was getting stale, the game play was getting stale, it never evolved. I found X3 tedious compared to X2, at least the Khaak kept me on my toes as they could appear anywhere and demolish my investments. In X3 games my stations were safe - rarely a risk appeared. But everything remained the same. The gameplay was... stale.

So I was bored of it. I'd gone from thousands of hours playing X2 to a few dozen playing the last X3 iteration.

So I was someone who was asking for a change. Obviously many were upset to extraordinary degrees that the game wasn't what they wanted (which was X2 version 6).

So they tried something to freshen up the Franchise, and it went down like a lead balloon. I didn't enjoy it either, but some things I think were just poorly executed. E.g. in Freelancer, tradelanes were awesome. In X... not so much Very Happy

I won't castigate them for trying something new, giving it a go. Wasn't for all, obviously, but... I also won't mock, or castigate those who actually enjoyed playing it either. To do so is not an admirable trait. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Quote:

And like the others in the thread, I will INSTANTLY shell out, day one, for a remaster of X3 on an updated engine, but Im VERY certain I wont be bying X4 from what we know about it so far.


You'd accept the same game repackaged with a bit of bling as a new title? That's your choice. Not everyone would share the sentiment.

I'll buy X4 anyway - been around long enough I'm willing to take a risk vs supporting Egosoft to continue. I also know it'll be hell for the first month on the forums - it always is (hence why I wrote a step by step guide to starting playing X3R due to the volume of malaise at launch - it is still there in my sig as a walkthrough, with responses in that thread indicating just how annoyed people were before then!) Very Happy

Perhaps you'll wait to read reviews and see game footage to make a decision. But the bottom line is Egosoft have to develop what they believe is best, in their vision or desire. Their vision may not align with what you want - and that may be something they weigh up and incorporate into their decisions. But they develop games, we buy them if we like the sound of them. It isn't a "you tell us what to make". If they listened to that we'd be walking on planets for starters and have MP over everything else! True, they may just be led by money and make what's asked for by "hardcore fans" (instead of everyone), but maybe they've grown tired of that and want to try something different Razz


_________________
Guides, Help and Walkthroughs
X3 Reunion tutorial - Starter controls and Mission 1 & 2 Walkthrough
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
T-1000





Joined: 15 Sep 2007



PostPosted: Sat, 16. Jun 18, 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I would like to add my 5 cents.

When X Rebirth was released and I bought it I seen unfinished game (and this bad practice happen alot in other games rushed releases). So shelved it for a year until it was polished to playable state. Of course there was a lot of swearing while trying to play it initially but in the end I still finished campaign storyline. Even when today there are still lots of annoying shortcuts in game design decisions the game is not that bad when comparing its state to release date.

My advice to Egosoft about X4 - please do not rush release. Let people know about it with free beta demo version so with the help of community feedback the game can be polished. The best QA is community. Especially when there are no hundreds internal game testers around.

Cheers!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JSalzbrunn





Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Posts: 29 on topic
Location: Langen
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sun, 17. Jun 18, 00:19    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Back to topic.
For me its just simple: Thousands of hours playtime in every x game - that makes it paying just cents for one hour of game fun. I didn`t experience this with any game i own beside X-Games...
And i also have a lot of faith in Egosoft. They are working on a game till they killed the last bug and make it fully enjoyable.
It was this way in the past and i see no reason they will change that policy in future.
They can have my money for my X4 copy in advance. I just trust them.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Falcrack





Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 1131 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 18. Jun 18, 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I have to say I am really looking forward to X4. I played a ton of X3TC and AP, with and without mods.

I got Rebirth but just could not get into it. I kept wanting to like it, but each time I started, I could never get enthusiastic about continuing to play. It was a bunch of little design decisions that turned me off, such as:

-having to fly within a few feet of station to unlock discounts
-having to play conversation minigames to unlock trade offers and hire crew
-horridly ugly NPCs with rude and childish dialogue
-highway bumper car minigames
-limited to one ship (an ugly one at that)
-a general confusion over how to figure out how to do basic stuff, coming from X3 (UI issues)
-walking around stations was not what I wanted in X games, I wanted to fly in space, and build and control a space empire
-Difficulty controlling a fleet of ships

Maybe if I played it more, I would have figured out how to overcome some of my initial bad impressions. I probably would have found several improvements from X3 along the way. I never did get to the point where I was building factories, multiple trade ships, and running a huge corporate empire, and one of these days before X4 releases, I may start it up again and force myself to play to that point until I find the fun.

So why am I optimistic about X4? Because of what I have seen so far from the developers, they have listened to the complaints and feedback, and are making a game to address those issues. With these issues addressed, I can sense a really good game potential using the Rebirth engine. With the ability to fly every ship, with a better map based UI to be able to easily control my fleet, with the custom station construction, I am more hopeful that this new game will be the type of game I was hoping Rebirth would be.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Control Panel
Login Data
The time now is Fri, 21. Sep 18, 05:51

All times are GMT + 2 Hours

[ Disclaimer / Impressum ] | [ Privacy Policy / Datenschutz ]

Board Security

Copyright © EGOSOFT 1989-2018
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Template created by Avatar & BurnIt!
Debug: page generation = 0.22192 seconds, sql queries = 29