Highway gameplay improvement

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

lyubarskiy
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue, 29. Jan 08, 02:40

Highway gameplay improvement

Post by lyubarskiy » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 22:30

When XR came out it had the worst mini game possible of you being the slowest ship in the tunnel getting sucked into the backs of other, faster moving ships that then block your view completely.
I remember suggesting that you play it the other way and avoid other ships as you fly though "if you have to have a mini game mechanic". I haven't played since but I believe that it was changed to be something of that nature.

I, unlike many, like the idea of highways. I think it's an organic way to streamline travel within "sector style" X Universe. It makes sense to zip through sectors on a fast lane vs the time manipulation system in other X games.

Implementation is key. I think the way to please everyone is let these highways be highways. Lets call them acceleration void tubes :) and they work by helping you along vs actually controlling you. What I mean is, let us get in there and choose our own speed and control within it. If I want to go slow let me, if I want to go fast, why not. basically this tube will just increase my speed limit and that is it. So If a discoverer can go 500 in open space, maybe it can not go 1000. If freighter can go 100, maybe it can now go 200. Additionally, let me shoot in these highways. Maybe I want to follow a freighter as far away as possible from populated area and take it out for it's cargo.
Another cool part is let me jump out of it maintaining my speed. What I mean is, you are going at 1000 and jump from the top. Your ship doesn't magically and instantly reduce speed to 500, but either slowly decreases at a normal rate to 500 or keeps that speed, say if you are using Newtonian flight system without assists. I can see very fun and strategic game play scenarios where you can sling your self our of a tube to reach a far off station, or get into a fight quicker, or through a hostile environment etc.

tldr; Highways should be treated as speed multipliers. Highways multiply your possible speed but don't limit your control in the them or the speed that you fly at. You can additionally sling out of them without loosing speed and shoot at ships while in a highway.

User avatar
Killjaeden
Posts: 5024
Joined: Sun, 3. Sep 06, 18:19

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 00:21

*mumbles something about tailgating and M5 going splat when TS overtake each other with velocity delta of 1m/s* :D

^thats the most likely reason at least, why you dont have free controll and speed differences are small
Image
XTC Mod Team Veteran. My current work:
Image

Falcrack
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed, 29. Jul 09, 00:46

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 02:38

My feeling is, all traffic in the highways should go the same speed, player ships and NPC ships. Please let X4 be the end of bumper cars in space!

Skeeter
Posts: 2715
Joined: Thu, 9. Jan 03, 20:47

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 03:52

Maybe if they made em so it's like a game of wipeout it would be more fun. No things above or below but more stretched out side to side, introduce a normal lane and a overtake faster lane. Make the tunnel gfx more like a road tunnel with arrows and monitors or such no wobble gfx. Stick a sorta announcer playing to say where you are like X is approaching exit point A b or c. Or just say a stop like argon prime or what not and section a of it which has say trading station there. Maybe a few fun announcers saying. Susie's parents have crashed in Omicron lyrics sector b or traffic jam coming up in sector c. Lol. Just make it fun with little things like that.

Maybe to exit places u can have traffic signals so when ur at sector b it has a red light so all ships stop for about 10 seconds so u can exit if u want or wait till green and continue on till when u really want to exit.
Image
3570k 4.5ghz 8gb DDR3 1600mhz MSI PE 670 2GB B_1149 22"/19" mon

GCU Grey Area
Posts: 4271
Joined: Sun, 15. Feb 04, 00:07

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 10:11

lyubarskiy wrote:let me shoot in these highways
This can already be done in XR, hopefully it'll still be possible in X4.
Falcrack wrote:My feeling is, all traffic in the highways should go the same speed, player ships and NPC ships. Please let X4 be the end of bumper cars in space!
Sounds terrible to me. Much prefer current implementation to that. Like to have full control over where my ship flies in the tube (normally right at the top, not all that much traffic up there) & how fast I go (as fast as possible generally, often using boosters).

User avatar
Vandragorax
Posts: 990
Joined: Fri, 13. Feb 04, 05:25

Post by Vandragorax » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 10:19

I do like the idea behind highways, and I'm glad they have confirmed they will be much reduced, useful for getting from one side of a sector to another for using gates, but we'll still have to go off the beaten track to find stuff.

I'm pretty sure I heard Bernd at some point saying that it was possible to keep some speed coming out of a highway then go straight into the "high speed travel mode" they have planned, so that kind of answers one of your points :) (Can't remember which video this was in though).

I'm with other people in saying lets have all traffic move through them at the same rate thanks. Nobody likes the bumper cars effect, and honestly I don't want anything like a highway for cars because that doesn't make any sense in space at all - and I'd just go and play Euro Truck Sim for that experience :P

Let's be honest here, to make highways work they have to be thought of in their most basic form and purpose. What is their purpose? Fastest travel from one area to another, but being able to exit/enter at any point along it. Having to play dodgems inside the lane and possibly getting knocked out by other slower traffic gets frustrating and hinders the main purpose of the 'tube'.

I'm all for having 'visual' traffic only, moving past us slowly, or overtaking us, but have the player ship rooted firmly in the middle with this other traffic around us so it doesn't impede.
Admiral of the Fleet.

lyubarskiy
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue, 29. Jan 08, 02:40

Post by lyubarskiy » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 20:13

GCU Grey Area wrote:
lyubarskiy wrote:let me shoot in these highways
This can already be done in XR, hopefully it'll still be possible in X4.
Falcrack wrote:My feeling is, all traffic in the highways should go the same speed, player ships and NPC ships. Please let X4 be the end of bumper cars in space!
Sounds terrible to me. Much prefer current implementation to that. Like to have full control over where my ship flies in the tube (normally right at the top, not all that much traffic up there) & how fast I go (as fast as possible generally, often using boosters).
My thoughts exactly. Same speed traffic is boring and eliminates a lot of game play potential.

I want to go fast and I want to control it.

lyubarskiy
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue, 29. Jan 08, 02:40

Post by lyubarskiy » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 20:17

Vandragorax wrote:I do like the idea behind highways, and I'm glad they have confirmed they will be much reduced, useful for getting from one side of a sector to another for using gates, but we'll still have to go off the beaten track to find stuff.

I'm pretty sure I heard Bernd at some point saying that it was possible to keep some speed coming out of a highway then go straight into the "high speed travel mode" they have planned, so that kind of answers one of your points :) (Can't remember which video this was in though).

I'm with other people in saying lets have all traffic move through them at the same rate thanks. Nobody likes the bumper cars effect, and honestly I don't want anything like a highway for cars because that doesn't make any sense in space at all - and I'd just go and play Euro Truck Sim for that experience :P

Let's be honest here, to make highways work they have to be thought of in their most basic form and purpose. What is their purpose? Fastest travel from one area to another, but being able to exit/enter at any point along it. Having to play dodgems inside the lane and possibly getting knocked out by other slower traffic gets frustrating and hinders the main purpose of the 'tube'.

I'm all for having 'visual' traffic only, moving past us slowly, or overtaking us, but have the player ship rooted firmly in the middle with this other traffic around us so it doesn't impede.
I don't agree with the same speed thing. You don't need to have a bumper cars scenario if traffic is moving at different speeds. You can have a soft dampening system where you automatically glide around slower traffic, or avoid it if you want. But I do want the ability to catch up to that freighter / pirate in the tunnel. Or slow down to jump out at a specific point or just assess the current situation of things outside, or even escort a slow moving freighter to destination.

User avatar
Observe
Posts: 2666
Joined: Fri, 30. Dec 05, 18:47

Post by Observe » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 20:20

It might be OK if everything in the highway is a sort of 'ghost ship', in the sense that nothing in the tube, is entirely physical and therefore no actual collision is possible. Faster ships would just 'pass through' slower ones.

lyubarskiy
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue, 29. Jan 08, 02:40

Post by lyubarskiy » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 23:59

Observe wrote:It might be OK if everything in the highway is a sort of 'ghost ship', in the sense that nothing in the tube, is entirely physical and therefore no actual collision is possible. Faster ships would just 'pass through' slower ones.
Or think of opposite magnets kinda deal. The closer you get to each out the stronger the opposite force and you kind of slowly glide around the other vehicle.

Could actually work in general and would prevent a lot of self destroyed AI.
I think a similar system was used in a mod of some sort. Made the game that much better.

Falcrack
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed, 29. Jul 09, 00:46

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 5. Apr 18, 15:35

Okay fine, different ships can have different speeds, but I hate in X Rebirth that the Skunk was always the fastest thing in the tube and that I was always bumping into the back of fake ships (you know, the ones that only existed in the highways in order to give the illusion of "life" to the universe)

Buzz2005
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat, 26. Feb 05, 02:47

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 5. Apr 18, 20:26

highways should not have any minigame at all, it should be enter and forget, manage your property and if you like enjoy the sites, just like X3 when you autopilot some gate or station and do a little management until you get there

User avatar
MegaJohnny
Posts: 1919
Joined: Wed, 4. Jun 08, 22:30

Post by MegaJohnny » Thu, 5. Apr 18, 20:30

My experience with highways in XR is quite schizophrenic. Most days I will go through them and never interact with any ships, masstraffic or not. But some days, I'll keep hitting masstraffic ships that fling me 10km out of the highway.

I'm okay with how highways are now as long as the risk of janky collisions is reduced.

GCU Grey Area
Posts: 4271
Joined: Sun, 15. Feb 04, 00:07

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 5. Apr 18, 21:22

Buzz2005 wrote:highways should not have any minigame at all
There is no minigame these days. They got rid of the silly "tailgate other ships to go faster" thing years ago.

ajime
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon, 15. May 17, 09:00

Post by ajime » Fri, 6. Apr 18, 10:19

Didn't particularly liked the highways since the only time you can be invulnerable from thrown out is to open the map while in highways. A stack of ships will be on ur hud. :D
I'm fine with the same speed if it is so.

Post Reply

Return to “X4: Foundations”