EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish

Android and iOS app?
View previous topic :: View next topic
WildDoktor

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 18. Jan 18, 01:40    Post subject: Android and iOS app? Reply with quote Print

Wondering if there will be an app that I can monitor my X4 game from? You know, leave the game running at home, go to work, at lunchtime pull up the app on my phone and check progress, give orders, etc.

This would be awesome!

Tamina

PostPosted: Thu, 18. Jan 18, 02:31    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

They would need to implement an online system for that but their resources are still busy with http://www.online-universe.net from 2000. Very Happy

l、゙ ~ヽ   /
 じしf_, )ノ
This is Tamina. Copy Tamina to your signature to help her achieve world domination.
WildDoktor

PostPosted: Thu, 18. Jan 18, 04:38    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Nah; they just need to make the connector info available so some smart person can build an app. Open up a port an your home router, and you're in!

If only!! 😎

ubuntufreakdragon

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

modified
PostPosted: Thu, 18. Jan 18, 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I don't want such an app, you can't access all features you will focus on a game while at places you should focus other things eg. your work, you get just another security issue, and I would have to buy a smartphone a these things aren't robust enough for my taste.

I rather want a usefull SETA implementation.

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Last edited by ubuntufreakdragon on Thu, 18. Jan 18, 10:42; edited 1 time in total
repatomonor

PostPosted: Thu, 18. Jan 18, 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Tamina wrote:
They would need to implement an online system for that but their resources are still busy with http://www.online-universe.net from 2000. Very Happy

Can't wait for X-Online to come out. I'm way too hyped for that for the past 17 years.

WildDoktor

PostPosted: Thu, 18. Jan 18, 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

repatomonor wrote:
Tamina wrote:

Can't wait for X-Online to come out. I'm way too hyped for that for the past 17 years.

Oh man; I just looked at that link...wow, wouldn't *that* have been fun!

Vandragorax

PostPosted: Fri, 19. Jan 18, 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Haha, well a few years later, EVE came out so I guess anyone looking for that went there and found out how utterly horrible a persistent universe full of "humans" really is. Ganking and scamming abound in an online simulation that doesn't uphold the same laws as the real world... it's just asking for trouble Razz

WildDoktor

PostPosted: Fri, 19. Jan 18, 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

BlackDemon wrote:
Haha, well a few years later, EVE came out so I guess anyone looking for that went there and found out how utterly horrible a persistent universe full of "humans" really is. Ganking and scamming abound in an online simulation that doesn't uphold the same laws as the real world... it's just asking for trouble Razz

Yeah; I just did some research on EVE and wow...I'm kinda' glad I was to much into flight simming to get involved in that, and at the same time it might have been fun to be in at the beginning! A completely different world, for sure.

csaba

PostPosted: Fri, 19. Jan 18, 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

WildDoktor wrote:
BlackDemon wrote:

Yeah; I just did some research on EVE and wow...I'm kinda' glad I was to much into flight simming to get involved in that, and at the same time it might have been fun to be in at the beginning! A completely different world, for sure.

I played EVE, you can dodge 99% of ganks in nullsec even alone without a faction. Although it's not fun to continuously adjust your course, it certainly adds stress to your life which I also like to avoid so dropped the sub after 6 months.

WildDoktor

PostPosted: Fri, 19. Jan 18, 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Back to the OP...but first, let me digress!

I started watching "Magellan" yesterday. I found it on Amazon Prime videos because I had 45 minutes to kill, so I started watching it...I'm not done yet, so no spoilers please! Smile I've no opinion yet of the movie, except to say: their depiction of using touch-screen devices is, to me, spot-on. (I've been an IT guy for 28 years, so this is just my opinion!) Large, logically grouped menu boxes that bring up context-sensitive sub menus, large "alert" boxes that pop up over the top of all the other items, etc. Very brilliantly done, and they did it so well that it isn't even a focal point of the movie; I just notice that kind of thing. Smile

Now bringing it back around to the topic:

An android / ios app for X4 would be such a treat; imagine having your 10" touch-screen tablet laying on your desk / propped up in it's holder / strapped to your leg (like a real pilot/astronaut), and being able to navigate X4 menus simply by poking large, easy to read "buttons"!

Combine that with multi-monitor capability, and wow...imagine the home cockpit you could build!

csaba

PostPosted: Fri, 19. Jan 18, 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Just to give my 2 cents. I wouldn't want one at launch maybe after the first expansion.

X games at release aren't really hardware friendly because testing is done with a few select people and optimization really starts after player feedback and crash reports start to flow in. So I want to be able to kill the program if my CPU is about to get fried or my RAM/pagefile overloads with memory leak.

Even after that, I'm an engineer with responsibilities now so I can't really get caught playing on my phone. Rolling Eyes

WildDoktor

PostPosted: Fri, 19. Jan 18, 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Agreed; not at launch...just concentrate on the basic game for launch and upgrade from there.

But using a tablet as an added control input in-game at some point down the road, even if just for mundane stuff like menus / comms, would be pretty sweet!

adeine

PostPosted: Sat, 20. Jan 18, 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Mentioned it before, but what they really should do is implement an outward facing API for X4.

Egosoft making an app would unnecessarily dilute their development time, and I don't think it should be baked into the game or designed around being played this way to begin with.

However, this is something that could be a great community mod. If there's an easy way to send commands to a running instance of X4 and retrieve information about its game state, I'm sure we would see this feature and more in no time.

SplitBoy

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 20. Jan 18, 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Before a external App i rather see a second screen feature option, like with X².

Options to map the map or menus and such to additional screens.

Loved X² for the extra camera screens.

csaba

PostPosted: Sat, 20. Jan 18, 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

SplitBoy wrote:
Before a external App i rather see a second screen feature option, like with X².

Options to map the map or menus and such to additional screens.

Loved X² for the extra camera screens.

Well I'd love the new map on an extra window. However if I recall correctly they already said something along the lines of "not likely".