Steven

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 17:47

Thanks for the advice.

1. She set up the camera and we will be working on a more professional setup. I also have a few more stage lights, I'll eventually have a decent record

2. I am in a difficult family position at the moment- I cannot necessarily stop her doing this, so i have opted to help her do it as safely as possible.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 18:44

philip_hughes wrote:Thanks for the advice.

1. She set up the camera and we will be working on a more professional setup. I also have a few more stage lights, I'll eventually have a decent record

2. I am in a difficult family position at the moment- I cannot necessarily stop her doing this, so i have opted to help her do it as safely as possible.
I understand that, but both you and your daughter should be made fully aware of the risks, especially about inappropriate comments, as that is probably one of the most worrying aspects of using youtube at the moment, plus youtube not really doing much to correct the situation. I would talk to your daughter about this, so that is is aware of sexual predators and things what they might say. trust me when I say, this is a big issue, and you don't want your daughter to be caught up in this. close the channel before it starts to get out of hand.

forewarned is forearmed.
=

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 20:15

Put some controls in place if they're available. I don't know if youtube has anything for parents. If they do, I'd be surprised.

You get it. People get concerned and overreact. It's probably just fine and will turn out well. But.... Damn this world is a dangerous place, ain't it?

I was just thinking about this earlier this week. Just the general risks for young people and the exposure to things they shouldn't be exposed to. There are "clubs/websites" for kids and there are, or used to be, programs for parents to block certain sites, restrict protocols, etc.

There should be a children's web. With plenty of stewards and monitors to watch for inappropriate things and, maybe, even to make sure the kids don't go overboard. Cyberbullying is a real thing and its devastating for young people who are desperately seeking to discover where they "belong" in their world. Unfortunately, the internet isn't the place that can be found, nor should it be.

Anywho, good luck! You have my sympathy and support, for what its worth. Any man trying to make his child's life better is worthy of both.

Velvet glove, iron fist. :)

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 20:39

Morkonan wrote:

Put some controls in place if they're available. I don't know if youtube has anything for parents. If they do, I'd be surprised.

You get it. People get concerned and overreact. It's probably just fine and will turn out well. But.... Damn this world is a dangerous place, ain't it?

I was just thinking about this earlier this week. Just the general risks for young people and the exposure to things they shouldn't be exposed to. There are "clubs/websites" for kids and there are, or used to be, programs for parents to block certain sites, restrict protocols, etc.

There should be a children's web. With plenty of stewards and monitors to watch for inappropriate things and, maybe, even to make sure the kids don't go overboard. Cyberbullying is a real thing and its devastating for young people who are desperately seeking to discover where they "belong" in their world. Unfortunately, the internet isn't the place that can be found, nor should it be.

Anywho, good luck! You have my sympathy and support, for what its worth. Any man trying to make his child's life better is worthy of both.

Velvet glove, iron fist. :)
not sure if there are any controls, the problem is, what I said is a huge issue, the report system just doesn't work. Even mods reported posts don't get any special treatment or fast tracking. On the BBC program I mentioned, they reported some posts and three plus weeks later, the posts were still there. Only when then BBC made google aware of that, then google removed the said posts. That and inappropriate videos that get linked, and other issues. Google has been really slow to act.

which then doesn't really help at all, not when your a child and unaware of the dangers. Part of the problem are the parents themselves for not having much of a clue what happening on the web. But I think google should have had something in place a long time ago, before it really started to get out of hand. I think they are doing a trial in Australia about inappropriate content, but not sure on the exact details.

Still, until google gets their head from the sand, then children need to be told and made aware of the dangers.

otherwise, they might be caught up into something far, far nasty.

sorry for derailing the topic, but like I said, this is a risk that needs to be told, before you realise too late what is happening.
=

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 21:52

matthewfarmery wrote:...sorry for derailing the topic, but like I said, this is a risk that needs to be told, before you realise too late what is happening.
It's not a derail, IMO. It's worthy of discussion. I know that, for myself, I couldn't have avoided a warning. If "something happened", no matter how trivial seeming, well, I couldn't have stopped kicking myself in the head for not saying something.

This is a general issue with commercial social media sites. They're not in the business of making "Safe, friendly, value-added, social communities."

They're there to make money. The controls inherent in their system do two things - Make money as easily as possible and comply with whatever legal standards they must in order to keep making money as easily as possible. I don't have an issue with this as long as users are aware of it.

Anyway, it's a jungle out there. Sure, plenty of kids have positive experiences on the internet and we generally only hear about the really bad stories. Still... My natural inclination is to be as protective as possible, but there are few controls in place, anywhere, to extend a parent's capabilities to the arena where they are most necessary.

Hmmm... I have an idea.

Youtube has channels. It also has special channels. It has the capability to divide its members and to segregate videos.

OK, fine, use that. They should have a channel accessible only by logged in members and that is designed for kids. No commercials allowed. Vids are closely screened and youtube chaperones have easy controls to report/remove/flag videos and comments. The vids can't be seen without logging in and known proxies and other anonymous means are blocked. Parental controls and reports are included as part of a master-account. Certain targeted vids and channels dealing with education, general children's television, etc, are allowed as long as they are commercial free. Commercial children's shows would have to pass review before being allowed to participate.

No monetization model at all. Yeah, youtube wouldn't like that, but the good press they'd get for taking proactive action would be more than worth it. If it became too cumbersome, they could charge a small fee for master-accounts that could have up to xx number of channels.

The point - At some point, it's possible for a business's model to reach beyond mere commercial interests. Hopefully, every business is aware of its responsibility to its customer, but certain levels of impact can be reached where this becomes not just an ethical issue, but a moral one. When it gets to that point, the business has to act, IMO.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 22:48

Absolutely not a derail. And besides if this was a completely unrelated topic and someone had a good idea on keeping my kid safe i would run with it.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 15. Jan 18, 05:43

philip_hughes wrote:Absolutely not a derail. And besides if this was a completely unrelated topic and someone had a good idea on keeping my kid safe i would run with it.
Build a really big concrete bunker and put all sorts of cool conveniences in it. Spacious, roomy, lots of plants, good food... Then, lock her in there until she's 50.

Or, lock yourself in there, take your pick. :)

A friend of mine has a daughter. She's starting her first year of college this year. I don't know how he stayed sane. Then again, maybe he didn't and is just hiding it really well?

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Mon, 15. Jan 18, 12:44

Morkonan wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:Absolutely not a derail. And besides if this was a completely unrelated topic and someone had a good idea on keeping my kid safe i would run with it.
Build a really big concrete bunker and put all sorts of cool conveniences in it. Spacious, roomy, lots of plants, good food... Then, lock her in there until she's 50.

A friend of mine has a daughter. She's starting her first year of college this year. I don't know how he stayed sane. Then again, maybe he didn't and is just hiding it really well?
They are awesome, but nowhere in the manual does it say you will not go cuckoo.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 15. Jan 18, 13:48

Morkonan wrote:

If your friend is sane, they're not doing it right. ;)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 16. Jan 18, 14:58

Haha! Her video got to 206 views! Not much by YouTube standards but she will think it's a lot- 4 times more than her most successful video.

Thanks guys!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 17. Jan 18, 21:40

philip_hughes wrote:Haha! Her video got to 206 views! Not much by YouTube standards but she will think it's a lot- 4 times more than her most successful video.

Thanks guys!
Want us to setup an automagic youtube viewer? :) We could grab some cloudhosting stuff and make her an instant hit! Then again, youtube has a lot of wardens running out there, so I think she'd be crushed if they reduced her hitcount.

Anyways, congrats!

(PS: Up to you, but what's the forum etiquette on linking a youtube account in your sig? If not here, you could try in other places you frequent.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 04:05

Morkonan wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:Haha! Her video got to 206 views! Not much by YouTube standards but she will think it's a lot- 4 times more than her most successful video.

Thanks guys!
Want us to setup an automagic youtube viewer? :) We could grab some cloudhosting stuff and make her an instant hit! Then again, youtube has a lot of wardens running out there, so I think she'd be crushed if they reduced her hitcount.

Anyways, congrats!

(PS: Up to you, but what's the forum etiquette on linking a youtube account in your sig? If not here, you could try in other places you frequent.)
No idea. I think its a good idea for a community such as us to cross promote- but there would be plenty of grey areas.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 22:08

Morkonan wrote:...
Check this recent thread for the forum policy:

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=398011
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 02:07

Nanook wrote:
Morkonan wrote:...
Check this recent thread for the forum policy:

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=398011
Riight- so even this was circling the drain a little.

Noted

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 10:02

philip_hughes wrote:Riight- so even this was circling the drain a little.

Noted
Indeed. :)
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 20:37

Terre wrote:

Noted
But, isn't that where all the most interesting stuff winds up, just before it disappears? The most exciting seat in the house is right above the maelstrom, hovering over the drain, watching threads violently collide in their last gasps before the darkness takes them...

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 21. Jan 18, 07:30

Morkonan wrote:
Terre wrote:

Noted
But, isn't that where all the most interesting stuff winds up, just before it disappears? The most exciting seat in the house is right above the maelstrom, hovering over the drain, watching threads violently collide in their last gasps before the darkness takes them...
This forum needs a like button...

As a service to the admins I'm not formally requesting one. :-)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 22. Jan 18, 20:11

philip_hughes wrote:This forum needs a like button...

As a service to the admins I'm not formally requesting one. :-)
Like buttons are... worrisome. Wasn't there something like that here a long time ago?

Anyway, I hate "Like" buttons. They start being a goal and something to squabble over, sometimes even drowning out other voices that should be heard.

"ZOMGZ NOBODDIES LIK'D MY POST! THEY HATE ME!" <- The first time a forum-member says that to themselves, the goal of the forum is that much weaker, IMO. (Waxing philosophical, I know.)

The only time I appreciate those sorts of things are on forums where someone asks a question and then the correct answer gets voted up above the rim of the bowl of garbage responses. Saves me time trying to figure out quests, make my game work, debug a bug that's bugging me, etc...

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 23. Jan 18, 11:04

Oh, i know most ppl hate me, just they occasionally like what i post.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 23. Jan 18, 16:17

Morkonan wrote:Like buttons are... worrisome. Wasn't there something like that here a long time ago?
There was. Some people started spamming just to get likes, while others trolled to get dislikes. It contributed nothing of value to the forum, encouraged spam and trolling, and made extra work for the moderators, so it was removed.

Edit: Typo.
Last edited by CBJ on Wed, 24. Jan 18, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off Topic English”