Frontier First Encounter. Anyone still playing it?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 13:14

mrbadger wrote: It had so much potential.You could even see how much potential it had when you started playing it, which made the failure to meet that potential even worse.
Yeah, this. I put a lot of hours into Frontier: Elite 2 and the prospect of a game that was better in every way was very enticing indeed. Then I loaded it up and ran into difficulties with even keeping the thing running for half an hour. I got the aforementioned floppy disk patch through the post after sending a letter of complaint off to Gametek, which fixed things enough that I could really enjoy myself for a goodly few hours--until I ran into the problem I mentioned above, which totally sapped any will to keep going.

I mean, I had just as much difficulty running Half-Life 2 when it first came out, but I was actually able to finish the plotline of the game; can't say the same for FFE.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 14:18

Frontiers was certainly a buggy mess, I also got it early on on the Amiga, The amount of bugs in the game really destroyed my enjoyment of it.

That and the largest ship that you could buy couldn't dock at the space ports, as it was too large. (but one workaround was to fit it with a lot of shields and hope for the best. Plus graphic glitches that became annoying.

It had a lot of potential, but let down by poor programming. Was a good game mind, certainly broke a lot of ground.
=

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 15:16

I don't remember having any issues with bugs whilst i played it on the amiga, and i probably threw a good 500 hours into it and loved every minute apart from the exceedingly dull combat. I used to love landing on planets and getting my remote mining drones out - Rose tinted space goggles maybe.

Wish i could say the same for the latest Elite :(
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 16:50

ATTACK_HAMSTER wrote:I don't remember having any issues with bugs whilst i played it on the amiga, and i probably threw a good 500 hours into it and loved every minute apart from the exceedingly dull combat.
You're talking about Frontier: Elite 2 there, I think--I don't believe First Encounters was ever released for the Amiga.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 17:57

First Encounters was PC only, but there were bugs in frontiers, at least the version I had.

both games were great, but did suffer from issues.
=

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 23:02

My mistake! The passage of time has left things fuzzy :D
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

Mighty Midget

Post by Mighty Midget » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 16:41

Having a look at Pioneer now but what on earth?! They have removed trading as an option to fighting for dear life? That is not precicely FFE-esque.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 18:47

Pioneer is not a port, it is a different game inspired by Frontier.
I did not play for it for some months, but last time I checked, the ships are heavily specialized.
Right on commander !

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 18:49

matthewfarmery wrote:
It had a lot of potential, but let down by poor programming.
Yes it was poor programming, but that wasn't the fault of the programmers themselves.

Had they been given the time to do a better initial job and the option to follow up with game patches all would have been well, but they weren't.

That wasn't a decision in the hands of the programmers themselves, even back then the games industry was being run from boardrooms.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Return to “Off Topic English”