Boron DLC

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Axeface

Post by Axeface » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 22:03

Yes they are aquatic and resemble squid, it's very funny, har har.
Here's a picture that will hopefully help some of you see the Boron as something other than a joke (which really doesnt do them credit), i cropped and blew it up from a photo that 'Sorkvild' posted on another thread, from a wall at Egosoft.
Amazing concept btw egosoft, any chance we could get a high res copy of this image online?

Heres an older egosoft concept

And here's me attempting to make a 3d model from the old concept

nemesis1982

Post by nemesis1982 » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 09:24

That does look amazing Axeface, If that's how they should look then a suit isn't out of the question. Depending on their size of course.
Save game editor an CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

Axeface

Post by Axeface » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 21:43

nemesis1982 wrote:That does look amazing Axeface, If that's how they should look then a suit isn't out of the question. Depending on their size of course.
In the darker concept it looks like hes already wearing a suit to me, as for their size I think they are small, like 3 feet long (but then again Teladi were small too, but in rebirth they are almost as big as a human and actually more bulky, ego can change things as they see fit).

Blake00

Post by Blake00 » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 07:34

Yeah I'm pretty devo about the missing Boron in an official X series sequel too. Hope they are considered for a addon down the track.

I recently read the X - Farnham's Legend book which had really good descriptions of the Boron 'encounter suit' that they use when visiting the various commonwealth stations. What it describes is probably a little too messy and hard for egosoft to implement (they sound like the floating encounter suits used by the Chodak in Star Trek games) so I think the simple human shape mech/android suit idea would be a better solution. Can call it a 'Humanoid Encounter Suit' lol.

Eg you take the current human model, give it a shiny black suit with some flashing lights and stick a big ass window on its chest & torso where you can see a Boron floating in water. Have a bunch of different suit texture designs and boron head/face designs for the floating boron inside and you've got the variation & customisation like the other races.

As for their ship and station interiors you could go 2 ways...

1- When you're on a boron station or ship you put a blue haze over everything with a few bubbles floating around. That seems a little too difficult and impracticable as then the boron wouldn't have humanoid suits and everyone else would need a special suit lol.

2- When you're on a boron station or ship it is simply just like everywhere else but using the usual cool boron green materials. Lore wise you simple say that the Boron design their ships and stations to be friendly to other races these days and that they only swim around in special Boron only sections or back in the oceans of their home worlds. That would seem more fitting with past X games too as I always wondered what was going on when I visited Boron stations or purchased a Boron ship for myself eg was i floating around in them in a suit or were they just like everywhere else considering so many races were visiting or using these stations and ships. I mean why would the Boron's be selling ships & stations to the player & other races if their customers couldn't even live on them lol.
Last edited by Blake00 on Wed, 27. Dec 17, 15:02, edited 4 times in total.
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Thrake

Post by Thrake » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 13:30

Blake00 wrote:As for their ship and station interiors you could go 2 ways...

1- When you're on a boron station or ship you put a blue haze over everything with a few bubbles floating around. That seems a little too difficult and impracticable as then the boron wouldn't have humanoid suits and everyone else would need a special suit lol.
What's about the voicing? It should all sound like "Bllllllll-blllllllllll-blblbllll!!"
Oh right, he wants me to do an assassination mission.

Blake00

Post by Blake00 » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 14:53

Thrake wrote: What's about the voicing? It should all sound like "Bllllllll-blllllllllll-blblbllll!!"
Oh right, he wants me to do an assassination mission.
Yup that'd be another problem with trying the water filled route haha. Everyone would need suit comms etc etc.. urgh better to just have the Boron stick to having air filled ships like everyone else.

I remember a cool mission in the Star Trek Generations game had Captain Picard infiltrating a Chodak base. Despite being water based creatures their base was just a regular air filled place where they stayed in their encounter suits and they instead had special separate water filled rooms for recreation, bathing and nursing young. The bathing one was quite funny cause Picard could steal one of their encounter suits and use its high tech weapons to blast up the place and even enter dangerous radiated areas too (not sure what he was breathing IN the suit though haha).

So if Egosoft went the option 2 route a Boron station could just be like all the other stations with various aliens and Boron's in humanoid encounter suits wandering around except say every now and then you pass a door (with a sign saying Boron only) you can't open and a window that reveals a room filled with water and various Boron's floating around. No interaction, just some lore friendly decoration. Make 4 or 5 versions of the room and then strategically place some inside Boron stations and cap ships.
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Axeface

Post by Axeface » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 17:08

Interesting stuff there Blake00, I knew about the 'bubble' suit that some lore referenced but thought it was more simple, but if you look at the first concept I posted it looks like hes wearing quite a lot of tech, I expect if they add them they might look something like that. The idea of them having a mech suit with legs isnt something I had considered before, interesting.

As for their stations I think that they should just be like everywhere else, to accommodate all races like you said, same for their ships. In stations you could even have transparent walls so you can peer into tubes or sections that are for the boron, and see them wizzing by really fast, that would be very cool, to see them in their natural habitat - dont think they'de look like much of a joke in there.

Morkonan

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 17:59

Water-filled space-ships would be deathtraps without "unber-industrial-strength inertial dampeners." A sudden turn and hundreds of thousands of gallons, maybe millions, worth of water pressure would be sloshed back and forth, causing extreme and rapid changes of pressure.

Instead of "passengers and crew" listed on the manifest, there'd be one entry for "soup."

An extremely humid environment, very low or no gravity, some assisted respirations, comms and movement would be all that would be needed. Arguable, even though that seems like a lot, it's better than being put in giant taffy-twister.

On communications in water - Whales do just fine without "burbling." Some animals also use light-generating bacteria to confuse predators, perhaps even communicate to potential mates and rivals. Some cephalopods undergo extreme pigment changes, some voluntary, some not. I'm not sure if there are studies of pheremone use in ocean-going species, but it might be possible in some limited extent. I prefer thinking of Boron with a collection of Earth analogue attributes like these when it comes down to communication and social interaction. With technology being as advanced as it is in the X games, there's also no need for a Boron to ever attempt to "speak human." Though, in a video conference, an observant human with experience with communicating with Boron could pick up on social ques others might miss.

Axeface

Post by Axeface » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 18:33

Morkonan wrote:Water-filled space-ships would be deathtraps without "unber-industrial-strength inertial dampeners." A sudden turn and hundreds of thousands of gallons, maybe millions, worth of water pressure would be sloshed back and forth, causing extreme and rapid changes of pressure.
I'm sure that they would be able to come up with inventive solutions (pun intended) to that problem. In the lore some of their ships are definately filled with liquid, from the Megalodon description:-
"The greatest improvement, however, is a new form of life support system. Normally, Boron ships are filled with a regular ammonium solution, the Megalodon instead uses a specially formulated mixture of water, helium, ammonium and artificial adrenaline. This makes the crew much more responsive to external stimuli, allowing for greatly increased combat and command performance."
But as I said before Egosoft can change things as they see fit, Boron shouldnt need to be completely enclosed in an environment to survive, grav-suits, tubes feeding them liquids - all perfectly plausible. In fact, even more plausible than the 'bubble' suits, some of the species are hostile to Boron and encountering an aggressive Split in a station in a bubble would not end well for the Boron, if they were in something like that new concept image above they'de be much safer (and could carry guns, 4 guns!).

As for communication, I had plans for that model that it would actually animate with colour like a cuttlefish, i'll never finish it though cause im a procrastinator ;p

Thrake

Post by Thrake » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 20:39

Morkonan wrote:Water-filled space-ships would be deathtraps without "unber-industrial-strength inertial dampeners." A sudden turn and hundreds of thousands of gallons, maybe millions, worth of water pressure would be sloshed back and forth, causing extreme and rapid changes of pressure.

Instead of "passengers and crew" listed on the manifest, there'd be one entry for "soup."

An extremely humid environment, very low or no gravity, some assisted respirations, comms and movement would be all that would be needed. Arguable, even though that seems like a lot, it's better than being put in giant taffy-twister.

On communications in water - Whales do just fine without "burbling." Some animals also use light-generating bacteria to confuse predators, perhaps even communicate to potential mates and rivals. Some cephalopods undergo extreme pigment changes, some voluntary, some not. I'm not sure if there are studies of pheremone use in ocean-going species, but it might be possible in some limited extent. I prefer thinking of Boron with a collection of Earth analogue attributes like these when it comes down to communication and social interaction. With technology being as advanced as it is in the X games, there's also no need for a Boron to ever attempt to "speak human." Though, in a video conference, an observant human with experience with communicating with Boron could pick up on social ques others might miss.
Well, the burbling part was intended as a joke as I was trying to imagine the situation. Obviously there are other means of communication. Lore wise the borons do talk, but you could always consider that your character has a translator that decypher their language and turns that into human spoken language. Or simply ignore that. I personnaly like the idea of water filled ships the most, it would give some pecularities to the universe. Now that said the most important to me is to have those nice green ships floating around. Doesn't matter if it's filled with air or soup! Lastly I would say that in an universe where jumpdrives are/were a thing I can easily expect that some of my notions of realism will be shaken up to a degree. You could even pretend that borons aren't living in water but another liquid which is much lighter and solve partly the soup-making process, and/or compartimentalise the liquid to decrease local strains and/or add in a compensation mechanism, just like every rut in the road won't make you jump thanks to shock absorbers.

Botschafter Von Den Glück

Post by Botschafter Von Den Glück » Thu, 28. Dec 17, 20:20

I have not the time to make a clean Boron either, but whoever made it for egosoft impossible to include Borons, never put them on that pressure, and WE make sure, that this never happens twice!

But nevertheless: The original boron is neither difficult to implement nor difficult to design with environment. Whoever is desparing here, for me, the concept from the book is very clear.

Get it done! Give egosoft some borons! I think this is a must have that is not allowed to be missing. You all know this is a very obvious mistake, and we are all responsible for the stop egosoft is forced to make.

So whoever is responsible for the missing ressouces for egosoft, there are mistakes, that will NEVER happen twice!

https://s14.postimg.org/eytu60rlt/The_Angry_Boron.jpg

Whether its neccessary or not, the community will NEVER accept what is wrong and will punch back. Be Warned!

And enjoy my part of the boron contest You can SEE how easily you get the identity of the borons onto the paper! :lol:

{Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked - Terre}

Skeeter

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 28. Dec 17, 21:16

Why use the new concept art for x4 boron's when old xbtf to x3 boron's which are humanoid species. When they talk on monitors they don't seem to need water and talk ok. What's to say they don't have legs just with webbed toes?

So it's really up to egosoft, can't they use old boron's? Why fixate on the concept ones.
3570k 4.5ghz 8gb DDR3 1600mhz MSI PE 670 2GB B_1149 22"/19" mon

Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn » Thu, 28. Dec 17, 23:39

Hi all i like the x3 terran conflict boron face image .Hmm whats wrong with that,if its not broke, why fix it?. hmm, if egosoft troubled by how the boron should look like when walking humanoid form,just put some, elephant seal feet/or duck feet. Have the body suit have water fluids hoses with lights.Hmm, there is a real fish called the afican lung fish, that can breath in the water and out of too.saw a person have this creature as a pet,but you couldnt touch it, has a electric charge..bye all. :) .
Running latest Steam X3: Albion Prelude .v 3.1 + bonus pack.favorite single music coldplay ,something just like this.

Axeface

Post by Axeface » Fri, 29. Dec 17, 00:04

I really dont like the idea of them being humanoid, didnt even know they used to be like that (also not sure what it would achieve). That would be immensely boring. Why fixate on the newer concepts? Because they are absolutely superior designs and more interesting.

Skeeter

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 29. Dec 17, 00:44

Could borons be like whales, mammals that live in the sea? So then u cure the don't need water bit.

There's also that sea humanoid race in star trek TNG where trois mum found them to be assassin's at the end of the episode, so have a boron head with a full body sheets to make people wonder what's underneath and how they move?

The new boron concept art is based on a seahorse, there's other sea species that they could have used, octopus, crab, etc, basically plenty of choice for a legs based sealife form.
3570k 4.5ghz 8gb DDR3 1600mhz MSI PE 670 2GB B_1149 22"/19" mon

Return to “X4: Foundations”