A memory from X2; bomb appears in cargo bay when docked at pirate base

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

devilofbelfast
xr

A memory from X2; bomb appears in cargo bay when docked at pirate base

Post by devilofbelfast » Wed, 6. Dec 17, 17:25

Having docked at a pirate station to sell booty, i remembered that while playing X2 the threat, occasionally while docked at a pirate station a bomb would appear in your ship/cargobay and would detonate upon undocking. There may have been a vocal warning from Betty about suspicious activity or something that played when it happened. Was this carried forward into the later games? I've yet to encounter it in TC/AP but it was just something i thought was kinda funny.
the four most important things iv'e found out,
1, your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory.
2, dont argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance.
3, if gods watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining,
4, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 6. Dec 17, 17:52

No, this feature isn't part of the later games.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 6. Dec 17, 17:54

Wow, I never had that happen to me in X2, despite thousands of hours - then again, I didn't visit pirate bases much in that one (despite how cool they looked - even if a little too advanced-tech, I guess.) No, I have never experienced this in any of the subsequent games either, and in X3TC and X3AP I often *do* have extensive dealings with pirates - my guess would be that it was taken out (likely on the grounds of being too 'swingy' - I know that I personally hate random, arbitrary catastrophes that negate skill... :D )
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed, 6. Dec 17, 18:24

That explains the dialog in Reunion...

Been a long time since I played it, but I vaguely remember some sort of Paranoia inducing dialog when docked at pirate stations. Paranoia inducing because nothing ever seemed to come of it.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 6. Dec 17, 19:04

Yes, the Pirate cargobay bomb and protection racket routine is randomly operating at Pirate Bases in vanilla X3: Reunion.

Once you get the 'offer' in the Pirate Base BBS entries (whether you read them or not), reloading will not avoid the detonation if you don't pay the protection. Also you can still see offers at that same station visit after paying, but you don't need to pay again.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 6. Dec 17, 19:18

Thanks, chaps, I just learned something new (erm... old) thanks to y'all :) Too bad I simply can't tolerate the interface downgrade from X2 to X3R - but I do still have campaign games in both to get around to finishing...
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 6. Dec 17, 21:31

You could avoid destruction by quickly jettisoning everything from your cargo bay as soon as you undocked. The 'bomb' was disguised as a common item. Sometimes you could figure out which item it was while docked if you knew exactly what you had on board before docking. For example, if you had X number of missiles in your cargo bay before docking and noticed X+1 after docking, then it's one of those missiles. Undocking and immediately ejecting all of those missiles solved the problem (except for all your missiles getting blown up, of course).
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 6. Dec 17, 22:08

I can see why they removed this. It was just annoying--it was a random chance to damage your ship from just docking at a pirate base and reading the BBS, which was utterly unfair. I don't know who ever thought it was a good idea to include it.

devilofbelfast
xr

Post by devilofbelfast » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 02:38

Thanks for the info folks. I can see why it was removed as it did get a little annoying after 50 or so times but it was still funny, a very piratey thing to do haha
the four most important things iv'e found out,
1, your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory.
2, dont argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance.
3, if gods watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining,
4, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”