Dirk Gently

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

User avatar
fiksal
Posts: 3196
Joined: Tue, 2. May 06, 17:05
x3

Dirk Gently

Post by fiksal » Mon, 4. Dec 17, 19:28

Howdy

Season 1 of the latest Netflix/BBC show is out, and 2 is nearly done from what I can tell.


Have you guys seen this?

I've (maybe surprisingly) enjoyed it. And figured there are folks here who have read the books.


From what I can tell though, the TV series have made up the story and didnt take it from the book(s), right? It appears that many characters are not from the books either.

So what do you think, is it true to the books then in some ways?


... hm spoilers... lets use the "spoiler" tags I suppose where needed... also I didnt sea Season 2 personally so... maybe a differently marked Spoiler tag for those

User avatar
Morkonan
Posts: 1895
Joined: Sun, 25. Sep 11, 04:33
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 4. Dec 17, 20:11

I've seen most of the first or second show, I think. But, that's it. I haven't read the books, even though I generally like Adams.

I couldn't really figure out what the "hook" was. Gently's "powers" seem nonsensical and there wasn't any sort of "detectiving" going on.

"What happened?" asked Concerned Spectator.

"Everything," replied Dirk.

Okiedokie...

Can someone illuminate this for me? Just wtf is Dirk supposed to be doing that's so very special and... "holistic." (Aside for continuing to demonstrate the most absurd definition of "holistic" as possible, that is.)

User avatar
fiksal
Posts: 3196
Joined: Tue, 2. May 06, 17:05
x3

Post by fiksal » Mon, 4. Dec 17, 20:18

Morkonan wrote:I've seen most of the first or second show, I think. But, that's it. I haven't read the books, even though I generally like Adams.

I couldn't really figure out what the "hook" was. Gently's "powers" seem nonsensical and there wasn't any sort of "detectiving" going on.

"What happened?" asked Concerned Spectator.

"Everything," replied Dirk.

Okiedokie...

Can someone illuminate this for me? Just wtf is Dirk supposed to be doing that's so very special and... "holistic." (Aside for continuing to demonstrate the most absurd definition of "holistic" as possible, that is.)


Without reading books, the premise in the show appears that Dirk is sort of 'plugged into' the universe. He relies on chance being deterministic, or "connected" as he calls it.

season 1
SpoilerShow
When the (CIA?) General guy confronts him, saying something along the lines "you are not a detective"; I understood that Dirk just have this power of having things happen to him by chance. He chose to be a sort of detective based on that. But it's basically like using a super power to do mundane things.


Some detective work has happened though. He held onto pieces of puzzle that he felt were important, and followed up on (sometimes nonsensical) clues.
It also appears in the spirit of Douglas Adams to expand word meanings and put reality on its head. (based on Hitchhiker's books)
Last edited by fiksal on Mon, 4. Dec 17, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BugMeister
Posts: 3891
Joined: Thu, 15. Jul 04, 04:41
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 4. Dec 17, 20:47

- absolutely loved the books..
- Douglas Adams' plot twists and turns and his expertise with language really shines..
- series one was a valiant attempt to transfer that quirkiness to film, very promising..

- looking forward to seeing this.. :D :thumb_up:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

User avatar
fiksal
Posts: 3196
Joined: Tue, 2. May 06, 17:05
x3

Post by fiksal » Mon, 4. Dec 17, 23:27

BugMeister wrote:- absolutely loved the books..
- Douglas Adams' plot twists and turns and his expertise with language really shines..
- series one was a valiant attempt to transfer that quirkiness to film, very promising..

- looking forward to seeing this.. :D :thumb_up:
ah, you havent seen it yet?

There are two apparently by BBC, one a few years earlier that was cancelled and the current one.

muppetts
Posts: 587
Joined: Fri, 10. Oct 03, 13:50
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 5. Dec 17, 09:20

I saw it advertised and said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But interested to hear if they have managed to actual transpose Dirk onto screen, it was a crash and burn (IMPO) with modern Hitchhikers film (I loved the tv series) but it sounds by your accounts to be working here, will look at some previews.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Redvers Ganderpoke
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue, 11. Sep 07, 12:38

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 5. Dec 17, 13:42

Are you talking about the BBC one that starred Stephen Mangan or the new one that started on Netflix. The former is more like the books, the second is terrible - if it wasn't for being called "Dirk Gently" I wouldn't have known it was.


Anyway off to the shops with a bit of "Zen Navigation".
I'm not dead, I just don't post very often anymore.

User avatar
Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
Posts: 1694
Joined: Sun, 26. Jan 14, 10:56

Post by Tamina » Tue, 5. Dec 17, 14:16

Just watched season 1 and I kind of liked and disliked it at the same time. Often, the humor, especially from Dirk Gently, was blatantly stupid and on the level of an 10 year old at best.

*pulls out knife*
"You know what they tell about knives and gunfights?"
"... that you shouldn't bring one?"
"OHHHHHHHHHH that's what it means?!?!?!?!?!"

Well, yeah. The acting made it worse.
That said, the whole show is kind of stupid, yet so unique and I liked it :D Didn't knew it was made by BBC, that explains the Dr. Who production quality.

Go Rowdys :D

Now I have to read some books, thanks :D

Code: Select all

  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 
This is Tamina. Copy Tamina to your signature to help her achieve world domination.

Redvers Ganderpoke
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue, 11. Sep 07, 12:38

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 5. Dec 17, 15:06

Tamina wrote:Didn't knew it was made by BBC, that explains the Dr. Who production quality.
It's not made by the BBC but apparently distributed by BBC America.
I'm not dead, I just don't post very often anymore.

User avatar
mrbadger
Posts: 5650
Joined: Fri, 28. Oct 05, 17:27
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 5. Dec 17, 15:16

my wife and I have just this week finished watching the BBC's first try at Dirk Gently.

How very odd that this thread should turn up now. Probably an interconnectedness of all things type of affair...

Pretty good. Inspired by the books, pretty good, definitely entertaining.

About to start the current ones.

Do I care that they're not exactly like the books?

Um no, I've read those books, I know how they end. I like the use of the character of Dirk in new stories a lot.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Redvers Ganderpoke
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue, 11. Sep 07, 12:38

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 5. Dec 17, 15:40

mrbadger wrote: I like the use of the character of Dirk in new stories a lot.
A problem I had is that I didn't recognise the character of "Dirk Gently" in the new series as Dirk Gently.
I'm not dead, I just don't post very often anymore.

User avatar
mrbadger
Posts: 5650
Joined: Fri, 28. Oct 05, 17:27
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 5. Dec 17, 16:44

You can't have it as written by Douglas Adams, because he's dead, you can only have 'inspired by', which is all I expected.

Haven't seen the new one yet, it might suck, although my department/school head likes it.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

User avatar
Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
Posts: 1694
Joined: Sun, 26. Jan 14, 10:56

Post by Tamina » Tue, 5. Dec 17, 16:54

Besidesd that, Douglas Adams works only in books either way. It is the way "how" he is writing and telling a story and that gets lost when translated to TV.
However, I haven't read those book(s) yet. Just bought them for 8$ on Amazon prime and I am really ashamed that I never ever thought about if he could have maybe written more books besides The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy(?). :oops:

Code: Select all

  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 
This is Tamina. Copy Tamina to your signature to help her achieve world domination.

User avatar
fiksal
Posts: 3196
Joined: Tue, 2. May 06, 17:05
x3

Post by fiksal » Tue, 5. Dec 17, 17:32

muppetts wrote:I saw it advertised and said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But interested to hear if they have managed to actual transpose Dirk onto screen, it was a crash and burn (IMPO) with modern Hitchhikers film (I loved the tv series) but it sounds by your accounts to be working here, will look at some previews.

well, that I suppose depends. I should let you know that I actually enjoyed the last Hitchhikers. With a caveat that it was only borrowing from books, and not really movie version of the books.

I think, Dirk TV series does as well... so, you may or may not like it :) But let us know if you do (or do not). I still think it's worth a watch. Seems to be a fun mix of peril, craziness and weird humor.

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Tamina wrote:Didn't knew it was made by BBC, that explains the Dr. Who production quality.
It's not made by the BBC but apparently distributed by BBC America.

funny that I got that feeling too; it was sort of a BBC-feel show.

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:Are you talking about the BBC one that starred Stephen Mangan or the new one that started on Netflix. The former is more like the books, the second is terrible - if it wasn't for being called "Dirk Gently" I wouldn't have known it was.


Anyway off to the shops with a bit of "Zen Navigation".
yeah. the second one :)
so you liked the earlier version better?

pjknibbs
Posts: 28393
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x3tc

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 5. Dec 17, 17:49

Tamina wrote:Besidesd that, Douglas Adams works only in books either way.
Gonna have to strongly disagree there--some of the best Doctor Who episodes from the late 70s were written by Adams.

Post Reply

Return to “Off Topic English”