Book Thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Tue, 27. Feb 18, 19:11

Golden_Gonads wrote:I've finished re-reading Starship Troopers and it was both better and worse than I remember. Better in the base quality of the writing and how it draws you in (and I REALLY don't like first person narrative much of the time), worse, in the it never goes into that much detail and with his breaks to go moralising.

Now to hunt down a couple of other books mentioned here.
Try Altered Carbon, trending right now because of the TV series. If you like it, there are more books with the same protagonist.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Solomon Short
xr

Post by Solomon Short » Wed, 28. Feb 18, 01:22

Santi wrote:
Golden_Gonads wrote:I've finished re-reading Starship Troopers and it was both better and worse than I remember. Better in the base quality of the writing and how it draws you in (and I REALLY don't like first person narrative much of the time), worse, in the it never goes into that much detail and with his breaks to go moralising.

Now to hunt down a couple of other books mentioned here.
Try Altered Carbon, trending right now because of the TV series. If you like it, there are more books with the same protagonist.
For those who enjoy the Takeshi Kovacs novels (of which I've admittedly only read the 1st 2, but have done so repeatedly) or the Altered Carbon show, I recommend Joel Shepherd's Cassandra Kresnov series, which has some thematic similarities, whilst also being quite different.

Also one of my favorite jokes...
Breakaway by Joel Shepherd wrote:"Googly. What on earth is a googly?" Ayako steered the cruiser through a gentle approach bend past the West Patterson towers, the night-time cityscape looming up on the left as they banked. Blazing light, towers, traffic filled streets, all blissfully free of protesters.

"Cricket, you poor philistine Asiatic person-it's a deceptive, spinning delivery ..." Ari's scans came up empty. He didn't trust them. "The cornerstone of all true civilisation-first there was upright bipedal motion, then there was language, then there was cricket."

Return to “Off Topic English”