Book Thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 24. Feb 18, 18:25

Heinlein regreted Friday and was vocal that it his publisher driving him for something "trendy". Other than that until later he was writng "juveniles" even when he wasn't.

The one I don't like is Orson Scott Card. He never met another writer he didn't insult and he won the Hugo away from "Footfall" simply because it was about Halley's Comet in the year it dissappointed us all with it's dismal showing.

Brinn's novels I read and somehow walked away from.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

pjknibbs

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 24. Feb 18, 18:46

I wouldn't see the point of an audiobook. If I did something else while listening to it then I'd miss half the plot (I already have this problem if I'm listening to a podcast while working, I'll get engrossed in what I'm doing and suddenly realise I've missed 20 minutes of what they were saying), and if I'm *not* doing anything else, I might as well read the book myself! I think I need to get a pair of reading glasses, though, it's getting harder to see the print these days.

Hank001

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 24. Feb 18, 18:54

Well as for me it's approaching as my only option since Braille is becoming a thing of the past as far as literature is concerned. And I'm finding as Mrbadger suggests, it's easy to multi task with audio books, at least for me.
Last edited by Hank001 on Sat, 24. Feb 18, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 24. Feb 18, 18:55

pjknibbs wrote:I wouldn't see the point of an audiobook. If I did something else while listening to it then I'd miss half the plot (I already have this problem if I'm listening to a podcast while working, I'll get engrossed in what I'm doing and suddenly realise I've missed 20 minutes of what they were saying), and if I'm *not* doing anything else, I might as well read the book myself! I think I need to get a pair of reading glasses, though, it's getting harder to see the print these days.
I have train journeys and now a walk to work to fill. Not a very long walk, but I need to walk to maintain my ability to walk at all. Having a book to listen to is a nice distraction from the pain that walking causes me. Plus the Gym too. Why do they play such awful loud music? it's not a pickup bar.

I miss my long evenings of walking :(, but those won't come back.

I can't listen to an audiobook while I'm doing something other than mentioned above either. I find, like you that I've missed a large block and I need to go back. That starts to grate if it happens too often, so I no longer even try.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 24. Feb 18, 20:16

Hank001 wrote:...The one I don't like is Orson Scott Card. He never met another writer he didn't insult and he won the Hugo away from "Footfall" simply because it was about Halley's Comet in the year it dissappointed us all with it's dismal showing.
Well, the cat's out of the bag! :) That vote/controversy still resonates in Hugo circles.

The contenders: https://www.tor.com/2011/06/05/hugo-awards-1986/

Some fine books there, even if there are far too many that spawned from already recognized novelette editions.

Each year, it seems the Hugo controversies get bigger. Puppygate

IMO, this is a problem. The problem is, in my opinion, some books get picked not for their quality, but for their subject matter. That's not always a bad thing, since authors are often tasked with being the "conscience of a culture." But, in several recent awards, books have been given awards influenced more by "activists" focused on a political or cultural spectrum than just plain good writing.

How could I pick between Ender's Game and Footfall? I loved them both. They were both well-written works. They both manage to reach beyond their pages. Neither could have been told or written differently and been of better quality - They're outstanding works.

In short - Social and political divisiveness is now a part of the Hugo awards. The "Puppies" have formed their lines and, in some cases, this divisiveness has resulted in stalemates that end up with awards not being awarded, even if there are many fine stories that deserve them.
Brinn's novels I read and somehow walked away from.
Brinn isn't a stranger to controversy, either. I've enjoyed a great many of his stories, though. In short: He writes very well. (That's a very big compliment for any author, btw.) I think his "Uplift" universe is actually more important a notion than some of the stories that are presented within it. I loved "Brightness Reef" more than his other Uplift novels, I think. Then again, I was also caught up in the adventure started in Sundiver, too.

I'm a huge fan of "The Postman" which is just a darn wonderful story and a very good example of what's best about pure science-fiction.

(I'm a full supporter of one of Brinn's other passions - A campaign against "Active SETI" also known as "METI." (Messaging Extra-Terrestrials) I've had some - uh - "heated" discussions with Alexander Zaitsev on this subject, myself. In other places, using another NIC, of course. ;) )
pjknibbs wrote:...I think I need to get a pair of reading glasses, though, it's getting harder to see the print these days.
Same here, though I keep putting it off. I also am not a fan of "audio books" as true "books" since the experience is completely different for me. I don't begrudge that for others, though, and have listened to audio-books when traveling on many occasions. BUT, the sorts of audio-books I'd choose for that are specifically the sorts of books I wouldn't normally considering buying off the shelf. They're usually in genres other than standard science-fiction/fantasy or are currently acclaimed titles I wouldn't normally be interested in reading. (Never non-fiction, since I want that in my hands so I can examine it in detail.)

Hank001

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 24. Feb 18, 20:35

I was in the audience setting about 3 seats down and a row up from Larry and Jerry. Admittedly I miss remembered which book it was O.S.C. had that year, I remember when it showed up on the ballet nobody had read it. We thought there was no competion and when they announced the winner the place exploded. I heard Niven cry "What the @$!%?". It was a moment and the last GenCon I attended.
Though now I'll quietly admit "Ender's Game" had it's merits.
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 24. Feb 18, 21:34

I can't say I like Enders game, only that I tried to and failed. I've never liked anything by is Orson Scott Card.

Also aside for his collaboration with Brian Herbert, I dislike the work of Kevin J. Anderson, the Saga of Seven Suns is so badly written I can hardly understand now why I bothered to finish it.

The only thing I gained from the experience is I learned a lot about how not to write a series from him.

And it demonstrated how poor some editing can be on published books.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Hank001

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 24. Feb 18, 21:46

Well even about two sheets to the wind at the moment the whole auditorium was ringing with "Footfall", "Footfall", "Footfall" and then the show started and the nner accounced and general pandemonium. We all fell out to the lounge and and people were carrying out the champagne they had ready for the after celebration. All and all not a happy mood. Setting here I'm finding it hard to believe it was 31 years ago.

Edit: Searching for another at that gathering I ran into this page which might lead to a read or two:

Https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2 ... nuary-2017
MIND THE GAP

muppetts

Post by muppetts » Sun, 25. Feb 18, 11:52

The Electric Church is worth a spin

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/176 ... ric_Church

Jeff Somers, it has additional books but you can read the first as a stand alone
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Golden_Gonads

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sun, 25. Feb 18, 23:10

I've finished re-reading Starship Troopers and it was both better and worse than I remember. Better in the base quality of the writing and how it draws you in (and I REALLY don't like first person narrative much of the time), worse, in the it never goes into that much detail and with his breaks to go moralising.

Now to hunt down a couple of other books mentioned here.

Hank001

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 11:03

One of America's few outlets of culture National Public Radio published this list on their website and I'm just hearing about it out in a tent under the stars waiting for our telescope to track. While one of my comrades is saying I'm in the right place to look for science fiction.

https://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/13908584 ... tasy-books

I think with 100 titles to look over I'll wait until my fingers aren't frozen, but for the rest of you, have at.
MIND THE GAP

Bishop149

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 13:28

So the film below is receiving almost universal rave reviews, from people that know their sci-fi at least.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/f ... impression

So I thought I'd give the book (series) upon which it is based a go. Enjoying it so far. The no names for any of the characters (at lest so far) is an novel device, I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Annihilation-Nov ... B00EGJ32A6

Edit: Ooooo and upon actually reading that article (first review I googled up) I learn that it'll be on Netflix less than a month after the cinematic release! Nice!
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Morkonan

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 16:13

Golden_Gonads wrote:...Now to hunt down a couple of other books mentioned here.
You might like "Armor" by John Steakley. It's not your usual "Sci-Fi soldiers in armored suits battle alien bugs" sort of story. Granted, though, there is plenty of action. But, all of the action and fighting has a purpose other than just "look at the big 'splosions."

muppetts

Post by muppetts » Tue, 27. Feb 18, 09:39

Bishop149 wrote:So the film below is receiving almost universal rave reviews, from people that know their sci-fi at least.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/f ... impression

So I thought I'd give the book (series) upon which it is based a go. Enjoying it so far. The no names for any of the characters (at lest so far) is an novel device, I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Annihilation-Nov ... B00EGJ32A6

Edit: Ooooo and upon actually reading that article (first review I googled up) I learn that it'll be on Netflix less than a month after the cinematic release! Nice!
I am looking forward to watching this but it has not done well with audiences at the flicks, great reviews but not making much money, which is a shame.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

mrbadger

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 27. Feb 18, 16:16

I don't see that as a bad thing. Yes it's bad from some points of view, but it means they didn't water it down for universal appeal.

It might also mean no awful sequals.

I feel bad about Natalie portman. For years I judged her based on the prequals alone and avoided anything she was in afterwards.

I completely disregarded that she was a young actress with zero control over her character, and that Lucas was a moron who should never have been in full command of a movie.

The only good part of that is I now have her entire catalogue of movies to watch with my wife, and I'm enjoying them greatly.

Return to “Off Topic English”