yay fun (TC)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 14. Nov 17, 10:39

pjknibbs wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote: (All I can say is: driving for 20 years, same stretch of road or not - aren't you TIRED by now?!)
Jasper Carrott used to have a part of his act where he read out some supposedly real comments written by drivers on accident insurance claims. No idea if they actually *were* real, but one of them went:

"I had been driving for 40 years when I fell asleep at the wheel." :wink:
Yup, that's pretty much precisely what I was referencing :) (though I didn't know the name)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 17. Nov 17, 16:24

Clearly, the primary expense of installing telephone poles is for the giant springs beneath, so they can jump out in front of unsuspecting cars.

Fortunately, in the distant future, the various sentient races have created teleportation devices to allow even massive Solar Power Plants to jump out in front of passing traffic. Isn't technology wonderful?

The primary reason why I have ended nearly every X3:TC campaign short of "completion" is collisions between passing civilian ships and my factories. The local race then spawns a reaction force to remove the offending station before it kills again. Apologies don't work, and the reaction force will eventually turn red again until/unless the station is destroyed. I try to avoid placing factories in sectors that I will travel through frequently, which unfortunately leaves a lot of missed golden opportunities to profit from gaping holes in the economy, where I have to locate the factory several sectors out of the way.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 17. Nov 17, 17:16

Honved wrote: The primary reason why I have ended nearly every X3:TC campaign short of "completion" is collisions between passing civilian ships and my factories.
In thousands upon thousands of hours of play, this has never, not once, happened to me. Then again, I make a point of placing my factories away from traffic lanes when I place them in built-up sectors (I used to build only in empty sectors, but that meant I started industrialisation considerably later, so I soon changed to development in sovereign territories so I could get active as early as possible) - typically, I build not just somewhat to the side (looking for gaps in traffic that are as near as possible to a gate, for short return trips by jump-enabled freighters), but also considerably above the ecliptic (thus also allowing me to extrude the docking hub downward and angle it for efficient access.) Also, I don't allow "foreigners" to dock at my factories - all my trading is done at preferential rates using CAGs and/or CLS2s. Of course, I do admittedly also tend to avoid spending time in sectors where I've built, but that's mostly to protect my own freighters from bumping into each other and my structures, and even more so to prevent them going into long collision-avoidance loops, which would (often dramatically) slow down throughput...

These games' richness never ceases to amaze me, given how different the experiences of different players can sometimes be.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 17. Nov 17, 21:04

Honved wrote:...
The primary reason why I have ended nearly every X3:TC campaign short of "completion" is collisions between passing civilian ships and my factories....
I'm surprised the local governments gave you permission to build in the middle of the spacelanes. How much 'weed and 'fuel did you have to 'distribute' to them? Bribery never pays in the end, you know. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 17. Nov 17, 21:24

[OT]"How much 'weed and 'fuel did you have to 'distribute' to them?" That's something you probably need to ask Triaxx2 who in this post says "I drug all the asteroids in the sector ..." :D [/OT]
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 18. Nov 17, 01:57

:lol:
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 18. Nov 17, 13:47

The answer is None, because I did it in an unowned sector. :P

Though to be fair, this was from my DiD, where the character is hiding from the Paranid, and it's not possible to get any farther away from them.

Personally given the dislike for the AI flying anywhere but the ecliptic plane of the sector, I find half a km above or below the flow of traffic is enough to prevent death and dismemberment. Even the Auto-Pillock has trouble hitting things that aren't in it's way.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

JJRSC
x4

Post by JJRSC » Mon, 27. Nov 17, 02:48

Timsup2nothin wrote:
JJRSC wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:"Hey Captain, does that jump gate disk we're heading for look strangely metallic to you?"
I will admit that I once 'capped' a gate with an MSPP just to watch the mayhem whenever I was in the sector.
For a second I thought you meant that, using a Medium SSP, you either boarded the jumpgate or got it to bail. Spent a few minutes wondering how that worked... :doh:
:lol:

Okay, yeah, I should have specified there...capped, like in the sense of putting a lid on the pickle jar so the little gherkins can't get out.
So, you have problems with abulatory, free-range pickles? I had not known that was a thing :wink:

Aaaaaaaaand, in the meantime, I've had a Skiron collide with a silicon mine OOS and get destroyed and then an Aquilo collided with a cahoona bakery OOS and was destroyed. I need to start drug-testing my pilots. :roll:

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 27. Nov 17, 05:28

JJRSC wrote:
Aaaaaaaaand, in the meantime, I've had a Skiron collide with a silicon mine OOS and get destroyed and then an Aquilo collided with a cahoona bakery OOS and was destroyed. I need to start drug-testing my pilots. :roll:
Hi,

are you really sure? I have spent thousands of hours in X3* and never saw such a thing.

One time I had a station, built by the station building service, which extended *through a gate* from behind. I didn't notice it until much later, when I was in sector and each ship passing the gate blew up. But OOS? Never.

Are you perhaps using a mod, that might have changed that?

cu
Rainer

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 27. Nov 17, 05:58

JJRSC wrote:... in the meantime, I've had a Skiron collide with a silicon mine OOS and get destroyed and then an Aquilo collided with a cahoona bakery OOS and was destroyed.
Something else must be at play here - perhaps some mod that alters OoS behaviour? At least in vanilla, collision detection OoS is turned off, so the above is simply not possible - it's not some grey area of "not likely" or such, it simply isn't. Perhaps it happened just as you were entering a sector, and the position recalculations for objects glitched and placed them in contact with each other? (This I have seen happen, on extremely rare occasions - I think that basically the collision-avoidance calculation moves a ship away from one collision object but ends up placing it in contact with another - I suspect quite specific conditions need to be met.)

EDIT: I see RainerPrem also suspects a mod :D
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 27. Nov 17, 08:39

RAVEN.myst wrote:Perhaps it happened just as you were entering a sector, and the position recalculations for objects glitched and placed them in contact with each other? (This I have seen happen, on extremely rare occasions - I think that basically the collision-avoidance calculation moves a ship away from one collision object but ends up placing it in contact with another - I suspect quite specific conditions need to be met.)
Hi,

that happens often in the Aldrin area, when Springblossoms are involved docking next to each other ... Mostly NPCs, but I lost ships in Megnir due to that fact as well.

cu
Rainer

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”