Fastest way to gain rep without fighting (TC)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 16:30

RainerPrem wrote: let's say that sitting down and plan an elaborate path with many stations (don't forget to refuel) instead of saying "Transport ECells from one of those three stations to one of those four stations (whichs needs them most)" with a handful of clicks sounds rather tedious.

But everybody has a different sight to those games, which is a GOOD THING.
Yes, options are good. :) And even though I have yet to find a use for CLS1 (outside of X2, that is) that I can't do with more precision with CLS2 or even (in some situations) with CAG, I'm glad it (still) exists - I'd rather it stick around than not.

CLS2 is a way to program (internal and external) logistics explicitly: that means much tighter control, but at the cost of much more work. It's "low level" in computer and logic terms.

CLS1 is a way to program (internal only) logistics implicitly: this abdicates some control in favour of convenience and intuitive usage - delegation, basically. It's "high level". The cost of implicit instructions is that they require a defined context/framework to operate within. "Get me a pack of smokes" is sufficient if you know where a nearby shop is, what brand I like, and how much it will cost - you are able to fill in the blanks; if you don't have those particulars, I have to direct you to a suitable shop and specify my preference, and perhaps let you know how much scratch you'll need to have on hand :)

Thanks to your comments, I'm again trying to think of an application/usage scenario for CLS1 in X3 that will make it THE optimal choice. I thought I was onto something by combining something I read recently in another thread: I've got a hankering to play a pirate game once again, with the stipulation that I capture as much as possible, buy as little as possible (ideally, "everything" and "nothing", respectively), including stations - ie. look for TLs carrying stations (encouraging this to happen by blowing up stations, incentivising replacement, if necessary), never buying stations from a SY (except the Yaki one, once I complete Shady Business in the appropriate manner.) This would mean that I wouldn't have access to CCKs, meaning no complexes - perfect! Except that, unfortunately, it's not: I don't remember EVER seeing an NPC-owned ship with CLS software... sigh... :( Oh well... I'll keep on thinking :) (Thanks, by the way - I always appreciate inspirations to broaden my X-periences!)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 18:32

RAVEN.myst wrote: I don't remember EVER seeing an NPC-owned ship with CLS software... sigh... :( Oh well... I'll keep on thinking :)
CLS software is not on the spawn lists for NPC ship equipment. To play the "pure pirate" game you have to do the minor modding of adding it to at least one pirate base or anarchy port. I find that adding it to anarchy ports keeps it in sufficiently limited availability to be a challenge.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 19:10

Timsup2nothin wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote: I don't remember EVER seeing an NPC-owned ship with CLS software... sigh... :( Oh well... I'll keep on thinking :)
CLS software is not on the spawn lists for NPC ship equipment. To play the "pure pirate" game you have to do the minor modding of adding it to at least one pirate base or anarchy port. I find that adding it to anarchy ports keeps it in sufficiently limited availability to be a challenge.
I suspected as much - thanks for the confirm. Maybe I'll just play as a semi-official Duke's buccaneer... Then I can get the CLS software from the Comms Facility in Pity. Ooh, idea: I'll actually be an undercover Paranid intelligence officer infiltrating the criminal organisations - to preserve my cover, I cannot visit any legitimate Paranid stations and have no backup, am on my own. My handler is based on the Comms Facility, but I can only go there when there are no pirates around to see - which may be awkward, as a pirate base starts in that sector, with highly variable longevity... Hmmm, if I do this in X3TC, I can even do some work for Duke's. Also, I get to have access to Yakistan, too - also part of my assignment... OK, methinks narrative sorted. :D
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 19:30

RAVEN.myst wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:
I suspected as much - thanks for the confirm. Maybe I'll just play as a semi-official Duke's buccaneer... Then I can get the CLS software from the Comms Facility in Pity. Ooh, idea: I'll actually be an undercover Paranid intelligence officer infiltrating the criminal organisations - to preserve my cover, I cannot visit any legitimate Paranid stations and have no backup, am on my own. My handler is based on the Comms Facility, but I can only go there when there are no pirates around to see - which may be awkward, as a pirate base starts in that sector, with highly variable longevity... Hmmm, if I do this in X3TC, I can even do some work for Duke's. Also, I get to have access to Yakistan, too - also part of my assignment... OK, methinks narrative sorted. :D
I would suggest that you make a point of never letting your Paranid rep get any higher than it needs to be to get to the Comm station and get your CLS software. Don't want anyone wondering why you are greeted as a great friend of mighty Xaar.

And unless I'm off the rails (which is always a possibility) CLS software is not given much of an access restriction. As long as you can dock at the station I think you can purchase it.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 03:32

Timsup2nothin wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote:I suspected as much - thanks for the confirm. Maybe I'll just play as a semi-official Duke's buccaneer... Then I can get the CLS software from the Comms Facility in Pity. Ooh, idea: I'll actually be an undercover Paranid intelligence officer infiltrating the criminal organisations - to preserve my cover, I cannot visit any legitimate Paranid stations and have no backup, am on my own. My handler is based on the Comms Facility, but I can only go there when there are no pirates around to see - which may be awkward, as a pirate base starts in that sector, with highly variable longevity... Hmmm, if I do this in X3TC, I can even do some work for Duke's. Also, I get to have access to Yakistan, too - also part of my assignment... OK, methinks narrative sorted. :D
I would suggest that you make a point of never letting your Paranid rep get any higher than it needs to be to get to the Comm station and get your CLS software. Don't want anyone wondering why you are greeted as a great friend of mighty Xaar.

And unless I'm off the rails (which is always a possibility) CLS software is not given much of an access restriction. As long as you can dock at the station I think you can purchase it.
Yes, good thinking - you never know who's listening! (But somehow I just *know* that my cover is safe here on this forum...) :D The plan is definitely to keep the Paranid rep as low as possible, as that Comms Facility will be the only one I deal with - I'll sell off ships at the Yaki SY (I REALLY wish that Anarchy PORTS had shipyards, too... sigh...) - ideally, I won't even have Paranid Core docking rights

As for the other, yes, AFAIK the software is quite "low tech" as far as security level goes. In any case, I won't be needing it until such time as I have enough stolen stations to require it, which I suspect will take a while, seeing as I've actually almost never seen stations being lugged around (except ice mining stations in some Terran TLs.) So I needn't report to my handler for quite some time (that's fine - it will give her time to make sure my cover wouldn't be compromised on her end - you never know how deeply the cartels have infiltrated law enforcement...)

Incidentally, according to the scripter's back-story for CLS, the software was designed by the Paranid - and in X2, you can only find it at Paranid EqDocks. But in X3TC/AP (I forget how it is in X3R, but I'll refresh myself soon enough, as it's on the list for proper re-plays :) ) it is available at all Argon EqDocks, and that one Paranid station...
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”