Livestream 2: highways

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Fri, 3. Nov 17, 14:35

Nanook wrote:It's not really exploration if it's the endpoints of highways, now is it? I personally explored Toride and Cold Star extensively just because there were no highways to lead me to 'areas of interest'. Exploration is all about discovering the unexpected in out of the way places, which highways do not encourage. As for players getting discouraged, that could be solved pretty easily by Egosoft and/or the game itself giving hints that there are cool things to find and see 'out there somewhere'.
You didnt get my point. If the travel distance between 2 points of interests is 100 flight hours in a straight line , vs. when it is 5min, how likely would you deviate from the straight line flightpath in the first case to explore when you could fly for 10 hours into a direction, that wouldnt get you closer to a known goal, and have a high likelyhood of not seeing or finding anything whatsoever?
With highways beeing the only method to travel fast, distances between two zones are effectively muuuuch larger, because when not using them you are significantly slower. Greater distances -> reduction of density -> exploration becomes much more flying and boredom and less finding. Unless you splatter random loot things all over the space, which would just get repetitive and meaningless after a while.

Or put simply -> faster travelspeed means exploration is more eventfull. Highways where introduced to be able to increase distances in the universe. So relative to the universes size, ships got slower (except when traveling on predefined paths aka highways). So this means only planned areas that where designed to be explored (highway-less areas in XR) are worth exploring. When it is obvious which areas are to be explored and which are not, it's pretty immersion breaking imo, as it's "gamey".
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 3. Nov 17, 19:53

Killjaeden wrote:...Highways where introduced to be able to increase distances in the universe.....
Doubtful. More likely, they were introduced to help eliminate collisions. You don't need highways to introduce high speeds and great distances. You just need a different propulsion system that allows the player to go in any direction at high speeds rather than restricting the high speeds to just a highway. Have you played Elite Dangerous? In-system travel uses something called 'cruise' to travel fast, and when you see something interesting, you drop out of cruise to 'impulse' speed. It's very similar to boost in XR. IMO, that's a system that allows much more freedom of movement.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Fri, 3. Nov 17, 20:09

Doubtful. More likely, they were introduced to help eliminate collisions. You don't need highways to introduce high speeds and great distances. You just need a different propulsion system that allows the player to go in any direction at high speeds rather than restricting the high speeds to just a highway. Have you played Elite Dangerous? In-system travel uses something called 'cruise' to travel fast, and when you see something interesting, you drop out of cruise to 'impulse' speed. It's very similar to boost in XR. IMO, that's a system that allows much more freedom of movement.
I'm pretty sure we're still going to have boost in x4. having different tiers of fast movement lets you create distinctions of desirability and distance between areas in systems and between different systems. It also gives structure to navigation; you can look around and see a highway nearby and know approximately where its going and where you are and how to get to where you want to without having to interact with the UI or a menu.

Supercruise is kinda garbage. I wish it wasnt. It puts you into an instance that painfully obviously starts up when you enter it, has highly predictable scripted random crap, and in all ways essentially puts a blatant noncontiguous break between grids in a system. It's far worse than EVE's implementation in that regard.

At least when Highways have random ships it's just window dressing...in ED its supposed to be content.../rant.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sat, 4. Nov 17, 14:44

mr.WHO wrote:My only concern now is how the Capship will fly between sectors without JD?
Boosters are good for zone-to-zone, but might not be good sector-to-sector.

Unless only small ships (Fighters/Medium Traders) have boosters.
The Jumpdrives are replaced with boosters with enhanced speed, fast enough to cut sector travel in half?
astreus wrote:IMO if found the highway idea total stupid. It gives the feeling of a car race game instead of a space sim. The (too much) clouds and other things give a air (plane) sim feeling.
Additional deep & most dark space got lost, so did the space feeling.

It would be much better to improve the booster (or have few types), maybe a way of fast / long term, but after start, bound to one direction, no way to change direction while boosting. Besides, the idea to need capital ships (to dock) to travel to far distance is not bad at all.

Jumps should be limited to special local installations, like gates or nav beacon. If you could simple jump for anywhere to anywhere, this would be too easy.
For XS ships that buzz around stations, they'd be too small to use jumpdrives and boosters. So they would need highways to get around.
To which fighters and larger vessels could travel where they like without needing highways (except superhighways, accelerators).

Leszek
x4

Post by Leszek » Sat, 18. Nov 17, 00:10

For me, the highways completely destroyed the feeling of moving in space in the XR. The minimum distance from Earth to Mars is 56 million kilometres, and a maximum of 401 million. The construction of 56 million gates, in addition synchronized between the moving planets gives the impression of absurdity. The filling of a tens of millions of kilometres of tunnel, a swirling stream of energy, would probably require energy equal to the Sun's energy. In the X, distances are a thousand times smaller than in real space - this is OK, otherwise the game would be unplayable. The problem is that these glowing tubes make us aware of this, and our minds see the whole ecosystem as unbelievable.
Would not it be better to deprive these highways of visualization and leave only the gates at their ends? It would not change the game's functionality, but it would not ruin our experience.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 18. Nov 17, 01:30

Subspace lanes would be better than highways in normal space. Think of it like in voyager dragonsteeth episode using the subspace corridors system.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Drag ... _(episode)

So in x games you could have a station at say the south end of a system, it opens a portal and u go in u switch to subspace corridors so ur out of normal space, so u hide the lanes there so space looks empty and cool again. You travel quickly in the corridors like 5x speed, its like a river so theres a current u float along, u cant really steer much so enjoy the ride. You can exit at certain points inside like say a red bit coming up you hit exit and ur back in normal space, no shields cos thats the downside, shields dont work in corridors as a tradeoff for going faster. And then u just map the lanes and it gets u around the systems/universe.

Maybe egosoft can 8ntroduce wormholes thats fixed but make em rare to find and it lets a ship go from one side of universe to other, but again no shields so u take the risk to use it so u cant use it to invade.

You know, jumpdrive if ego just disabled weapons and shields when charging and jumping or do it after jump with a timer delay till u get em back, that would negate fleet wide invasion usage as ud die if u jumped into a bad hostile sector if u didnt have support already there that got there the slow way.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sat, 18. Nov 17, 19:05

I agree, highways might be a game artifact to help the AI plot routes, which is fine, but there's no reason they have to exist as in-game entities that the player uses too. they could be invisible plots between areas that the AI uses, and you'd just see a load of ships moving in convoys instead - which you saw in X3 and it was pretty cool.

But it does destroy immersion if the highways are supposed to link planets together, planets that rotate around the sun at different rates so Mars and Earth can be quite close some times and then on the opposite sides of the star at other times. These highways must be super-stretchy!

Gates or some other type of portal make much more sense.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 19. Nov 17, 20:06

Leszek wrote:For me, the highways completely destroyed the feeling of moving in space in the XR. The minimum distance from Earth to Mars is 56 million kilometres, and a maximum of 401 million. The construction of 56 million gates, in addition synchronized between the moving planets gives the impression of absurdity. The filling of a tens of millions of kilometres of tunnel, a swirling stream of energy, would probably require energy equal to the Sun's energy.
I agree completely.
Leszek wrote:In the X, distances are a thousand times smaller than in real space - this is OK, otherwise the game would be unplayable.
I don't think that distances have to be small for play-ability.

Space is big and so should the feeling conveyed by a space game. Otherwise, it feels like an arcade game; as Rebirth does. There are several examples of space games designed around "real" distances and planetary orbits etc. Seems to me, "bigger" instead of "smaller" worlds/universe is what X4 needs to have, if it is going to compete with current and upcoming space games.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 20. Nov 17, 01:15

i can only tell for Albion, but when you say that the distances feel too small then you basically say that travelling through tubes is too fast - because the distance between the broken Moon and the Planet in Albion is on a pretty realistic scale. its roughly 300.000 km - similiar to the Earth-Moon System. i didnt check other systems regarding that but its pretty obvious that interplanetary travel was not the intention in the 4 original systems, because most of it is clearly set in the Region of a Planet and its moons, so bringing up the Distance between Earth and Mars for this is like comparing a Freight Drone with an Super Freighter....
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 29. Nov 17, 21:44

UniTrader wrote:I can only tell for Albion, but when you say that the distances feel too small then you basically say that travelling through tubes is too fast - because the distance between the broken Moon and the Planet in Albion is on a pretty realistic scale. its roughly 300.000 km - similiar to the Earth-Moon System.
I came to the conclusion, that this whole "distance should be/not be realistic" is, boiled down, a moot point. Because in terms of usable space (space you actually can interact with feasably in the game) does not grow by spacing the planets further or closer. It doesnt matter if 10.000km or 1 million km. It's not usable for gameplay in meaning full ways.

Anything further than a 200km radius around the sector center in X3 for example was theoretically reachable, but nobody went there to achieve any real gameplay. People only did it to prove or find out what is beyond there (nothing) and to realize that it takes a bloody long time. And the same is certainly true for XR. The game size is determined by the distance between fast travel nodes, relative to ship speeds (including various modes), relative to the ship and station scale. Anything else is mostly irrelevant. Unless the space between fast travel nodes is so small that you could reach it without considerably accelerated travelspeed (factor of say less than 3 with current relative ship scales) in a couple of minutes/ tens of minutes. Second condition would be if there are real points of interests (missions, points of interactions etc) within that space. Think of freelancers universe and travel system setup.

Otherwise it's just filler, abitrary and theoretical space that has no inherent value for the gameplay itself. Maybe there is immersive and visual value - but it doesnt scale well at all. Making distance realistic doesnt make it significantly more immersive than having "just large" distances. And visually it would degrade the more realistic you get. For example would you not be able to see a neighbouring planet from the orbit of another (e.g. Earth to Mars) as anything but a tiny spec too unlikely to notice under most conditions.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Return to “X4: Foundations”