EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish
Log inRegister
 
[X3TC] Neewbie in need of help
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
ajime





Joined: 15 May 2017
Posts: 43 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 29. Sep 17, 04:23    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Star Fall wrote:
Jlehtone thanks for that explanation,I was figuring to build one in Black Hole sun, since I make a little more credits there thanks to the Xenon Invasions.

Regarding the Complexes do you think it would be a good idea to build multiple when at the point in the HUB plot when you need to start building stations ?

Thanks again for all the help guys
Kinda costly to maintain BHS from enroaching Xenon's since it's a favourite xenon migration spot. I usually maintained 2 destroyers for each north and south gate since i have a wheat farm in there and even then there's a fair share of freighters being shot down especially when those m2 are are distracted in OOS via xenon n's and get blown up by Q's. Its fine if you're in system all day long though which i sometimes do since i have a personal EQD watching the south gate. Though i like the challange of taking advantage of the huge cahoona bakeries to power up my factories.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RAVEN.myst





Joined: 20 Jun 2011
Posts: 2233 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 29. Sep 17, 06:15    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Star Fall wrote:
Jlehtone thanks for that explanation,I was figuring to build one in Black Hole sun, since I make a little more credits there thanks to the Xenon Invasions.

Some of the following may be repeating others' comments, but if so, I guess that just underscores their significance.

Firstly, you do NOT want to have stations in a sector where you spend lots of time, and vice versa. Besides the fact that you don't want to spawn mission enemies around your valuables, there's also the fact that busy stations get quite congested with docking traffic if you are in the same sector, which means that arrivals and departures gets slowed, and it's even possible to cause docking accidents just by your presence in-sector. (The reason this only happens when you're in-sector is that when you're elsewhere, ship activities are arbstracted, so instead of simulating in detail the ship's movements and maneuvers, and detecting collisions, ships instantly dock at stations as soon as their icons overlap, and ships' icons overlapping with each other cause no collisions, whereas if you're in-sector, they have to avoid each other, which forces them to restart their approaches, potentially repeating this process again and again.)

Secondly, even when you are out-of-sector, your CAG and CLS ships will cower in the station or refuse to come in from another sector whenever Xenon (or any hostiles) are around in the sector where your station/complex is. This means that once again your shipments are delayed, and so is the overall performance of your station/plex. If the pilots didn't do this (and, in fact, standard non-CAG/CLS pilots don't), then you'd end up losing freighters with some regularity as they get intercepted on the way in to your station/plex (and, sometimes, even on the way out, if enemies are able to pounce before your freighter completes its outbound jump.)


_________________
-
Any loose animals will be vaporized on sight.
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timsup2nothin





Joined: 22 Jan 2009



PostPosted: Fri, 29. Sep 17, 06:16    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

ajime wrote:
Kinda costly to maintain BHS from enroaching Xenon's since it's a favourite xenon migration spot. I usually maintained 2 destroyers for each north and south gate since i have a wheat farm in there and even then there's a fair share of freighters being shot down especially when those m2 are are distracted in OOS via xenon n's and get blown up by Q's. Its fine if you're in system all day long though which i sometimes do since i have a personal EQD watching the south gate. Though i like the challange of taking advantage of the huge cahoona bakeries to power up my factories.


As a tip...what's good for the Xenon is good for you.

Protect the gates with a mixed fleet, so the Qs get busy blowing up your M5s until your destroyers get around to them.


_________________
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ajime





Joined: 15 May 2017
Posts: 43 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 29. Sep 17, 08:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Timsup2nothin wrote:
ajime wrote:
Kinda costly to maintain BHS from enroaching Xenon's since it's a favourite xenon migration spot. I usually maintained 2 destroyers for each north and south gate since i have a wheat farm in there and even then there's a fair share of freighters being shot down especially when those m2 are are distracted in OOS via xenon n's and get blown up by Q's. Its fine if you're in system all day long though which i sometimes do since i have a personal EQD watching the south gate. Though i like the challange of taking advantage of the huge cahoona bakeries to power up my factories.


As a tip...what's good for the Xenon is good for you.

Protect the gates with a mixed fleet, so the Qs get busy blowing up your M5s until your destroyers get around to them.
yeah. im just super lazy to buy ships. most of them i salvage off from pirates except when i really need a TM for hauling critical stuff. they rarely bail on me / die too quickly nowadays so im kinda low in fighter stock. Very Happy

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timsup2nothin





Joined: 22 Jan 2009



PostPosted: Fri, 29. Sep 17, 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

ajime wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:
ajime wrote:
Kinda costly to maintain BHS from enroaching Xenon's since it's a favourite xenon migration spot. I usually maintained 2 destroyers for each north and south gate since i have a wheat farm in there and even then there's a fair share of freighters being shot down especially when those m2 are are distracted in OOS via xenon n's and get blown up by Q's. Its fine if you're in system all day long though which i sometimes do since i have a personal EQD watching the south gate. Though i like the challange of taking advantage of the huge cahoona bakeries to power up my factories.


As a tip...what's good for the Xenon is good for you.

Protect the gates with a mixed fleet, so the Qs get busy blowing up your M5s until your destroyers get around to them.
yeah. im just super lazy to buy ships. most of them i salvage off from pirates except when i really need a TM for hauling critical stuff. they rarely bail on me / die too quickly nowadays so im kinda low in fighter stock. Very Happy


Ah. I've taken to playing a much different game. I get directly involved in the major conflicts.

For example, my last Paranid game I was on "shoot first, don't bother with questions" terms with the Argon. My trading empire around Paranid Prime included substantial mining operations in Emperor Mines, which would grind to a halt if so much as an Argon freighter wandered through the gate, since my CLS pilots would all go idle for a 'hostile en route.'

A defense force that will stop the irregular but persistent Argon fleet incursions is more demanding than confronting Xenon migrations. For all of their bad reputation, the Xenon are actually not that well equipped. So I got in the habit of investing in large mixed fleet defenses, out of necessity for that style of play.

I suggest to anyone who has found their game getting a little stale...declare a permanent war on a major empire. It can present a lot of new challenges.


_________________
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RAVEN.myst





Joined: 20 Jun 2011
Posts: 2233 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 29. Sep 17, 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

ajime wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:
ajime wrote:
Kinda costly to maintain BHS from enroaching Xenon's since it's a favourite xenon migration spot. I usually maintained 2 destroyers for each north and south gate since i have a wheat farm in there and even then there's a fair share of freighters being shot down especially when those m2 are are distracted in OOS via xenon n's and get blown up by Q's. Its fine if you're in system all day long though which i sometimes do since i have a personal EQD watching the south gate. Though i like the challange of taking advantage of the huge cahoona bakeries to power up my factories.


As a tip...what's good for the Xenon is good for you.

Protect the gates with a mixed fleet, so the Qs get busy blowing up your M5s until your destroyers get around to them.
yeah. im just super lazy to buy ships. most of them i salvage off from pirates except when i really need a TM for hauling critical stuff. they rarely bail on me / die too quickly nowadays so im kinda low in fighter stock. Very Happy

Incidentally, TMs are an excellent target for early training of marines, if that holds any interest for you. They are weakly armed and have only two decks, so you can train green marines and operate with minimal resources on your part (a fighter and a TP are enough.) (Apologies if this is all stuff you already know. Smile )


_________________
-
Any loose animals will be vaporized on sight.
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timsup2nothin





Joined: 22 Jan 2009



PostPosted: Fri, 29. Sep 17, 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

RAVEN.myst wrote:

Incidentally, TMs are an excellent target for early training of marines, if that holds any interest for you. They are weakly armed and have only two decks, so you can train green marines and operate with minimal resources on your part (a fighter and a TP are enough.) (Apologies if this is all stuff you already know. Smile )


I use a corvette for this, myself.

There are just so many cats to be skinned! Thank goodness there are so many ways to do most of them.


_________________
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RAVEN.myst





Joined: 20 Jun 2011
Posts: 2233 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 29. Sep 17, 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Timsup2nothin wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote:

Incidentally, TMs are an excellent target for early training of marines, if that holds any interest for you. They are weakly armed and have only two decks, so you can train green marines and operate with minimal resources on your part (a fighter and a TP are enough.) (Apologies if this is all stuff you already know. Smile )


I use a corvette for this, myself.

There are just so many cats to be skinned! Thank goodness there are so many ways to do most of them.

Yes, corvette is the next step up (fighter + TP is cheaper, so can be done sooner - is trickier, though, of course - then again, I like tricky ^^) That being said, I'm usually too busy germinating an economy in the early game, so most often I also only get started once I'm up to corvette as personal ship (which can take me a looooong time, since I favour TM+fighters as my mobile party-mobile...)


_________________
-
Any loose animals will be vaporized on sight.
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timsup2nothin





Joined: 22 Jan 2009



PostPosted: Fri, 29. Sep 17, 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

RAVEN.myst wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote:

Incidentally, TMs are an excellent target for early training of marines, if that holds any interest for you. They are weakly armed and have only two decks, so you can train green marines and operate with minimal resources on your part (a fighter and a TP are enough.) (Apologies if this is all stuff you already know. Smile )


I use a corvette for this, myself.

There are just so many cats to be skinned! Thank goodness there are so many ways to do most of them.

Yes, corvette is the next step up (fighter + TP is cheaper, so can be done sooner - is trickier, though, of course - then again, I like tricky ^^) That being said, I'm usually too busy germinating an economy in the early game, so most often I also only get started once I'm up to corvette as personal ship (which can take me a looooong time, since I favour TM+fighters as my mobile party-mobile...)


Huh.

I seem to be more challenged by the corvette. In AP the TP can spew out so many marines that a full complement seems almost certain to hit the target at more or less the same time.

Plus gathering up the extras afterwards is a pain in my backside.


_________________
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RAVEN.myst





Joined: 20 Jun 2011
Posts: 2233 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 29. Sep 17, 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Timsup2nothin wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote:

Incidentally, TMs are an excellent target for early training of marines, if that holds any interest for you. They are weakly armed and have only two decks, so you can train green marines and operate with minimal resources on your part (a fighter and a TP are enough.) (Apologies if this is all stuff you already know. Smile )


I use a corvette for this, myself.

There are just so many cats to be skinned! Thank goodness there are so many ways to do most of them.

Yes, corvette is the next step up (fighter + TP is cheaper, so can be done sooner - is trickier, though, of course - then again, I like tricky ^^) That being said, I'm usually too busy germinating an economy in the early game, so most often I also only get started once I'm up to corvette as personal ship (which can take me a looooong time, since I favour TM+fighters as my mobile party-mobile...)


Huh.

I seem to be more challenged by the corvette. In AP the TP can spew out so many marines that a full complement seems almost certain to hit the target at more or less the same time.

Plus gathering up the extras afterwards is a pain in my backside.

Oh yes, from a purely "boarder-spam" perspective the TP's greater capacity certainly makes that easier (I often call such a TP my "school bus", as its job is to deliver students to their classes) - I meant in terms of the combat aspect: shield attrition and suppression, while dodging fire (and perhaps having to deal with escorts first, too.) I should mention that on the few occasions I go this route, I tend to start with a M4 fighter, which DOES tend to make it a bit hair-raising...Very Happy However, it's often also backed up by the TM I am operating from, applying a little more pressure (and giving me something else to have to micromanage, lol!)

As for marine retrieval: those that have actively participated in the boarding attempt and then for whatever reason find themselves jobless, will usually (I've had some weird behaviours) return on their own - all it takes is to cut engines and wait for them. However, since I don't tend to over-spam marines [*], I'm not sure whether the excess of those will behave the same way once they realise that their intended new ride has no more empty seats.


[*] (I use as many as will "fit" - but methinks next time I play a playthrough with parrot and eyepatch, I'll adopt this brute-force approach, just for the sake of variety! Thanks for reminding me of something I knew but inexplicably never made use of! Very Happy Hmmm, in fact, I now have the hankering to do one of these soon... so many games and play-style concepts, so little time...)


_________________
-
Any loose animals will be vaporized on sight.
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timsup2nothin





Joined: 22 Jan 2009



PostPosted: Fri, 29. Sep 17, 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Laughing

So, I was about to say something about how I am way too busy to be sitting around idle waiting for a bunch of lame marines to meander back from losing the race to their target.

Then I had a sudden flash of just how often I'm floating in space setting up CLS routes, setting up combat fleets of interlocked 'attack target of..." and "defend..." orders, or just staring at the starscape.

Maybe I'll try the hoard of marines on a TP method again myself.


_________________
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RAVEN.myst





Joined: 20 Jun 2011
Posts: 2233 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 29. Sep 17, 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Timsup2nothin wrote:
So, I was about to say something about how I am way too busy to be sitting around idle waiting for a bunch of lame marines to meander back from losing the race to their target.

Then I had a sudden flash of just how often I'm floating in space setting up CLS routes, setting up combat fleets of interlocked 'attack target of..." and "defend..." orders, or just staring at the starscape.

Hehehe, indeed - I suspect that you and I are similar in that we don't spend the majority of our time in dogfights (they are fun diversions, granted), but rather setting up our hierarchies of minio-... ummm... underl-... ermm... subordinates?

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Maybe I'll try the hoard of marines on a TP method again myself.

With all these athletic men and women and members of various species soon to be doing the breaststroke in vacuum, perhaps we should collaborate on getting space-swimming officially accepted as a Galactic Olympic sport...


_________________
-
Any loose animals will be vaporized on sight.
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timsup2nothin





Joined: 22 Jan 2009



PostPosted: Sat, 30. Sep 17, 01:21    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

RAVEN.myst wrote:

With all these athletic men and women and members of various species soon to be doing the breaststroke in vacuum, perhaps we should collaborate on getting space-swimming officially accepted as a Galactic Olympic sport...


Even after all these years when my lame marine trainees have blasted a hull to smithereens too quickly and that one leader says "abort, abort, start swimming marines!" I still laugh.

I want to shoot them rather than pick them up, but I laugh.


_________________
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RAVEN.myst





Joined: 20 Jun 2011
Posts: 2233 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 30. Sep 17, 02:06    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Timsup2nothin wrote:
I want to shoot them rather than pick them up, but I laugh.

Well, why not do both? You even have options, while emptying a clip (or spaceship equivalent thereof) into them: you can throw your head back and let out a deep evil laugh (MUHAHAHAHHAHAHA!) while blasting away (works best with AoE weapons), or hunch intently over the flight controls grinning maniacally and cackling insanely, or... well, like I said, you have options.... Razz

Hey, why are you looking at me that way? Very Happy


_________________
-
Any loose animals will be vaporized on sight.
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timsup2nothin





Joined: 22 Jan 2009



PostPosted: Sat, 30. Sep 17, 04:24    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

RAVEN.myst wrote:

Hey, why are you looking at me that way? Very Happy


MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!


_________________
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum
Control Panel
Login Data
The time now is Mon, 23. Oct 17, 01:01

All times are GMT + 2 Hours


Board Security

Copyright © EGOSOFT 1989-2017
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Template created by Avatar & BurnIt!
Debug: page generation = 1.57529 seconds, sql queries = 29