EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

I just lost all my X2 saves (steam) - resolved
View previous topic :: View next topic
theeclownbroze

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 25. Sep 17, 12:49    Post subject: I just lost all my X2 saves (steam) - resolved Reply with quote Print

As the title says, I just lost all my saves in X2 The Threat, I was recently replaying the game and built up a large amount of factories etc and today steam started downloading some "update" for X2, I then boot up the game after it was done and discovered all the saves are gone. What's going on?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

modified
PostPosted: Mon, 25. Sep 17, 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Please verify your Steam X2 gamefiles cache and try again.

There is no way that a game 'update' should remove saves from your X2 game folder. I would physically check for the presence of the save files there. If they are not there then you may have deleted the entire gamefolder at some stage or may have moved the saves out to back them up. See these relevant FAQ: game folder and saves.

There has not been an update for X2 in ages - although Steam may be verifying and replacing what it sees as corrupt or missing gamefiles in your installation. It should not have touched your saves though.

It is also possible that when you try to continue in-game, either the saves are not being recognised because of the change in the gamefiles by Steam, or because the saves are seen as modded and incompatible with the vanilla installation, or you are instead trying to load a save from the cloud if you have that backup enabled and the local saves you have are not available.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

EDIT: If you have recently moved your X2 gamefolder then Steam may have just noticed it missing and reinstalled it in the old place and obviously without your saves. Check that your game shortcut points to the correct game folder - although you may be required by the X2.exe to use the original Steam one.

Last edited by Alan Phipps on Mon, 25. Sep 17, 13:29; edited 1 time in total
theeclownbroze

PostPosted: Mon, 25. Sep 17, 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

This is the set of events that happened today which led up to the saves missing.

I turned on my desktop and only came back to it at the end of the day.

I also switched on my laptop when I sat down.

Both machines have the steam library, but X2 is only physically installed on the desktop.

Both machines are connected to the same LAN.

Steam cloud was enabled on my laptop, and gamestream was also enabled so I could stream games to my laptop from my desktop.

Steam cloud however is not enabled on my desktop which has the save files.

I suspect that my saves were overwritten by steam cloud from my laptop (and since there were no saves on the laptop, it basically deleted the desktop saves), When I checked the "download" on X2 on the desktop, it says it was 600 MB, which was odd. When I booted it up after the download, there were no save games. I then turned on steam cloud on the desktop and it began download around 100 MB but it only has my saves from more than a week ago Crying or Very sad

Could having more than one machine potentially cause issues? I had no clue steam cloud was enabled on my laptop.

I never used mods. Vanilla game.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 25. Sep 17, 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I think that somehow Steam decided your gamefiles were missing and so reinstalled them - obviously without any saves, screenshots or profiles etc. I guess that having 2 PCs involved with different settings and installations may have confused it.

theeclownbroze

PostPosted: Mon, 25. Sep 17, 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Omg, perhaps not all is lost, but I think I found the problem. For some odd reason, my game is installed on my desktop twice. If this is confusing, maybe the picture will help describe how: [img]http://i.imgur.com/aV9dmSkl.png?1[/img]
If you check the save games and their last modified date you'll see that X2 was installed on my main drive (it was always installed on my storage drive steam library) Which explains that 600 MB download. Which was odd indeed. Since the new directory didn't have any saves when I booted up the game, I then clicked the steam sync feature in a bid to solve the problem but it only fetched a save from a week and a half ago, But I just didn't realise the directory I was looking at wasn't my :E drive but my :C drive doh! Laughing

It must have been the laptop that caused my steam to not realise that X2 was installed on my :E drive already, and began downloading the game onto my main drive - causing much confusion Embarassed

I hope this helps anyone else who coincidentaly come across the same events that I did today. I can now play where I left off.