EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish

[X3AP] CLS2 freighter not refuelling and trade competition
View previous topic :: View next topic
LSFKing

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 11. Sep 17, 17:12    Post subject: [X3AP] CLS2 freighter not refuelling and trade competition Reply with quote Print

Hey all, thanks for reading my thread Smile

I'm having some issues with my CLS2 energy cell trader. I currently have three ships in a supply chain: 1 energy cell buyer who does nothing but sit at a power plant and buy energy cells, 1 transporter who picks up what the buyer buys, and 1 seller who is parked at a factory and accepts the energy cell delivery from the transporter.

My issue is with the transporter. These are the waypoints I have given him:

Pirsex Energy Buyer Empire's Edge -> Refuel jump energy, load energy cells, maximum cargospace

Pirsex Energy Dealer Weaver's Tempest -> unload energy cells, refuel jump energy

For some reason, he will refuel in his first loop, but won't do so afterwards. I have set his jump drive settings to:

Use Jumpdrive: Yes
Jump energy: 150 cells
Minimum jump range: 0

It's driving me up the wall Evil or Very Mad The CAGs with jumpdrives on my player-owned factories work just fine, but i can't use them to supply NPC factories. Any help would be appreciated!

Timsup2nothin

PostPosted: Mon, 11. Sep 17, 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I always give my ships a refuel stop at a fuel tank that is independent from everything else. The fuel tank is a ship that just sits somewhere and either keeps itself full of e-cells or gets filled with e-cells automatically. Example waypoints:

Code:
fuel tank - load jump fuel
supply source - load (or buy) e-cells - max cargo
delivery point -unload (or sell) e-cells - max cargo

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!
LSFKing

PostPosted: Mon, 11. Sep 17, 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Whoa, a reply from my hero Very Happy I'll give that a shot! Maybe I'll pay Duke's Haven a visit for some TS "donations" Wink

Timsup2nothin

PostPosted: Mon, 11. Sep 17, 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

LSFKing wrote:
Whoa, a reply from my hero Very Happy I'll give that a shot! Maybe I'll pay Duke's Haven a visit for some TS "donations" Wink

LOL...ah...Duke's Haven. I shop there myself. Pirat Most of my fuel tanks are Hermes, since they are too small to be effective buying or selling traps.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!
LSFKing

PostPosted: Mon, 11. Sep 17, 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Good thinking! I think I'm going to sell off the Hermes though, I'm pretty sure that selling the Hermes to buy a Mercury on a 1-to-1 ratio results in enough profitssss to give the Demeters some cargo bay upgrades Wink

Thanks again for the pointers! Your CLS guides are what attracted me to playing X3 again, i salute you!

Timsup2nothin

PostPosted: Mon, 11. Sep 17, 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Glad to be of service.

You are right about the 1 to 1 Hermes to Mercury ratio, under one condition...but it's a condition that generally doesn't apply for me. My fuel tanks are Hermes that I never bother to repair. They frequently have very low resale values. If they were fully repaired hulls it would be different, but for me fuel tank is about the only application I have for them.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!
LSFKing

PostPosted: Mon, 11. Sep 17, 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I didn't think of the variable condition, there I go overlooking the fine details again Rolling Eyes

Since I have you here, I was wondering you could answer another CLS related question for me (I hope I'm not violating the forum rules by doing this.)

Let's say I'm selling Spaceweed as a secondary resource to some pirate bases. The Spaceweed factories are located in Teladi space and are NPC owned. If I were to set up a few 'Buy at Minimum' traps while supplying the Bliss Places with the necessary Swamp Plants and Energy Cells, would the price ever actually reach minimum? This is considering the fact that contraband seems to be in very high demand.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 11. Sep 17, 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

"(I hope I'm not violating the forum rules by doing this.)" Not at all, it's your thread. Smile

LSFKing

PostPosted: Mon, 11. Sep 17, 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Alan Phipps wrote:
"(I hope I'm not violating the forum rules by doing this.)" Not at all, it's your thread.

Thank you! I've lurked on the forum for a few years now and I can say that, without a doubt, this forum has the most helpful moderators and posters Very Happy

EDIT: still haven't mastered the 'quote' button yet though Embarassed

Timsup2nothin

PostPosted: Mon, 11. Sep 17, 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

LSFKing wrote:
I didn't think of the variable condition, there I go overlooking the fine details again Rolling Eyes

Since I have you here, I was wondering you could answer another CLS related question for me (I hope I'm not violating the forum rules by doing this.)

Let's say I'm selling Spaceweed as a secondary resource to some pirate bases. The Spaceweed factories are located in Teladi space and are NPC owned. If I were to set up a few 'Buy at Minimum' traps while supplying the Bliss Places with the necessary Swamp Plants and Energy Cells, would the price ever actually reach minimum? This is considering the fact that contraband seems to be in very high demand.

Spaceweed is not likely to ever reach minimum price. NPC buyers that buy spaceweed tend to get destroyed, which means that new NPC buyers spawn, and spawn empty. So they will always be looking to buy at anything below average.

If you really push production by reliably shoving swamp plant and energy and set your traps at some distance below average that gives you a reliable supply at decent profit you'll do well with it, especially if you set up deliveries to pirate stations at whatever the secondary max price is and pirate stations in race space where the weed is illegal so you can sell at max.

You can also get HUGE benefits from having a solid supply in storage. Missions offered at trading stations are frequently pirates looking for a very fast delivery of a fairly large amount of an illegal product. Those missions are often paying several times the normal maximum price and are also gigantic boosts to pirate rep. If I am in the smuggling business I usually set aside a fast TP with jump drive and fuel at my source and just let it fill up so that it is ready when such a mission presents itself.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!
LSFKing

PostPosted: Mon, 11. Sep 17, 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I kinda figured something along those lines. I was trying to set up a company that monopolizes production and/or distribution of illegal goods (specifically spacefuel, spaceweed, and SQUASH mines) but this information makes me think it would be a better idea to stick to Space Fuel as its an actual primary food item that gets consumed reliably.
Besides, the fewer TS's I have floating around Pirate space, the better.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Mon, 11. Sep 17, 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

LSFKing wrote:

That's because 'allow BBcode' is turned off in your forum profile. If you turn it on, quotes and all the other fun things will work. Smile

LSFKing

PostPosted: Mon, 11. Sep 17, 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Nanook wrote:
LSFKing wrote:

That's because 'allow BBcode' is turned off in your forum profile. If you turn it on, quotes and all the other fun things will work. Smile

Aha! The 'overlooked profile setting' rears its ugly head all across the internet. Huge thanks again to the patient moderators! Embarassed

RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Tue, 12. Sep 17, 01:10    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

@LSFKing, to the original question: there's a simple alternative approach you can use if/when you can't afford to set up a tanker (either earlier in the game, or if you find yourself temporarily financially committed or overextended) - simply add a "Fly to [SPP]" waypoint to your route, with the jumpdrive's autorefuel settings defined. I suggest placing the waypoint early in your route so it's checked early (usually - some routes CAN demand different placement.) This approach isn't foolproof, as for one thing it's potentially possible for the SPP you designate to get emptied and thus be unable to refuel your CLS ship on a given visit (Tim's tanker approach practically guarantees this will never happen), and if you sail close to the wind in terms of fuel amounts in order to save cargo space, that can make the wheels fall off. But it's a simple stopgap for, as mentioned above, when you're unable to set up a tanker - which, incidentally, can be shared among multiple CLS traders (just be careful to keep half an eye on it - if it seems you're starting to overload it, it may be time to get a helper to fetch ECs for it from somewhere else too.)

Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff
LSFKing

PostPosted: Tue, 12. Sep 17, 01:45    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

RAVEN.myst wrote:
@LSFKing, to the original question: there's a simple alternative approach you can use if/when you can't afford to set up a tanker (either earlier in the game, or if you find yourself temporarily financially committed or overextended) - simply add a "Fly to [SPP]" waypoint to your route, with the jumpdrive's autorefuel settings defined. I suggest placing the waypoint early in your route so it's checked early (usually - some routes CAN demand different placement.) This approach isn't foolproof, as for one thing it's potentially possible for the SPP you designate to get emptied and thus be unable to refuel your CLS ship on a given visit (Tim's tanker approach practically guarantees this will never happen), and if you sail close to the wind in terms of fuel amounts in order to save cargo space, that can make the wheels fall off. But it's a simple stopgap for, as mentioned above, when you're unable to set up a tanker - which, incidentally, can be shared among multiple CLS traders (just be careful to keep half an eye on it - if it seems you're starting to overload it, it may be time to get a helper to fetch ECs for it from somewhere else too.)

Hmm, interesting. I highly doubt an L or XL SPP would run out of energy cells, but regardless it's still a solid temporary fix for my problem until I can get a more permanent setup going. Thanks for your input!