Second attempt broke the plot. I did start repairs instantly, before any Xenon did show up. As result, mission had two simultaneous goals: Repair and Scan, with focus on the former.
Apparently the Repair task completes when hull improves to above 30%. If the hull is already above 30% before the task starts, then it never completes.
Third attempt tried to exploit the hearsay about what triggers the waves of Xenon. Almost did it. Still, death by Corvettes.
There was a miscalculation: I thought that Hammers are Hammerheads and left a click of safety between them.
The last test drive had many things going for it:
- Repairing well above 30% before the action and good further repair opportunities.
- Fighter Drones. Had some 20 with me for the initial contact.
- Tempests. When there is no time to target, just spam.
- I had Mosquitos too but not many were consumed, this time.
- Afterburners. That was a bit tricky.
- A ship that has no installed weapons has no weapon energy for the burners to consume.
- A ship that has no shield has no shield energy for the burners to consume.
- A ship that has no ECells or Spaceflies (had to make room for things to collect) ...
- My game tends to CTD if I flip the AB in a furball ... but did not, this time.
CPU hacking had plenty of variation. Is there a sector with equal signs on its name?
Those, who play DiD ... must be both brave and wise.