EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish

[MOD] Tactical Map
View previous topic :: View next topic
MegaJohnny

Thank you for registering your game
modified
PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 04:39    Post subject: [MOD] Tactical Map Reply with quote Print

Overview
This is a mod I've been making for a while, spurred on by the X4 announcement, that adds a new map menu with a bunch of changes. I like the new holomap in XR, especially with its mouse controls, but the actual map menu leaves a lot to be desired... Not to mention that the workflow for applying a new order is the same as in X3, where you have to lose sight of the map.

The big feature in this new map is contextual right-click. When you select a ship that can receive commands (i.e. is in your squad or has no commander), it becomes the command-selection shown at the bottom right. Then, when you right-click something, that ship will be signalled to carry out a command based on what was clicked. Very simple and easy, and you get to stay on the same menu, keeping an eye on things. Decoupling the selection and the command-selection lets you send a ship to a faraway zone, going through sectors where the ship isn't in the right-hand list any more.

Additionally, a grid of buttons on the bottom right gives easy access to commands that don't fit into the normal right-click. Some will be issued as soon as you press the button, some will "trap" the next right-click to give them a target, and others still (like Refuel) can open a different menu.

As of 1.2 there's a multi-select mode that works with all of the above. Press the little fleet button above the ABXY buttons (hotkey is '5') and commandable ships get a check box you use to select and deselect them. Then when you give an order, it's sent to all of the selected ships at once. This is completely optional, and if you don't use it, the only difference is that small button.

My ultimate goal is to replace the vanilla map menu in every use-case, but there are still some holes to be plugged. Known missing things are:

• Jumpdrive does not respect kickstarter item
  • Probably several missing hotkeys
  • No support for different modes of operation

Since 1.1 the tactical map will open instead of the vanilla map for the normal mode, and the vanilla map opens when it's asking you to pick a zone, etc. Hopefully it is complete enough to cover almost all use-cases - but do let me know if I've forgotten something that screws up your workflow/muscle memory!

Images
Using multi-select mode
Looking at a crowded zone
Reviewing assets in the sector view

UI Changes
As seen in the screenshots, this map also differs from the vanilla map in several ways, to my taste. Such as:

• Ships are sorted by IFF status and size class, giving a useful ordering that's similar to the X3 map
  • Zones and sectors show player-owned ships underneath them, giving quick access, and letting you see at a glance how much you have there
  • Smaller text and bigger holomap, squeezing more info on the screen
  • Button for ships with subordinates shows how many subordinates there are instead of "+" (it ought to be easy to see if a squadron has 3 ships or 10!)
  • Objects in-zone have appropriate icons - again, like X3
  • Use of colour, especially on the same line, to improve readability

Download
Nexus Mods
When installing, make sure you get both main files, as there are no built-in commands in the map! Each zip contains a folder containing a game extension, so just drop it into your extensions folder in each case.

Also view the source code at Github

Changes

Tactical Map 1.3

• Larger font is used for small HUD detailmonitor mode, fixes debug output produced by this (only tested on 1920x1080)
  • In multi-select mode, the "X" button for clearing selection now has hotkey 6/RB

Vanilla Commands 1.3

• Add grid commands for "stop order", "join squad", and "leave squad"

Tactical Map 1.2

• New multi-select mode
  • Ships selected for commands now have very obvious yellow arrows on the right-hand list, so they pop out a bit more
  • In the sector view, only commandable ships are displayed now
  • Reveal percentage display as in vanilla map, except for ships
  • Shield and hull condition alerts on player-owned ships. If hull is below 70% a yellow alert is shown, which turns red if the hull is below 40% - if shield is below half then a cyan alert is shown
  • Adjusted command accept text on bottom left, added colouration
  • Removed Sidebar Extender file (it's just renamed, so you can get it back if you like)
  • Jumpgates and jump beacons now shown in light grey, more in keeping with map colour
  • Fixed bug causing map -> object menu -> plot course to have no effect (and produce debug log error)
  • Fixed bug where zooming out wouldn't select the space you just zoomed out of
  • Fixed bug where trying to return from the map to a previous section would close out instead

Vanilla Commands 1.2

• All commands are valid in multi-select mode, with the following exceptions:

• Stop Task: If you right-click one of the selected ships on itself, the other ships are still being clicked onto a different ship, so it doesn't really work.
    • Refuel: Opens a menu pertaining to one ship, so doesn't make sense for multi-select.
    • Transfer Wares: Ditto.

Tactical Map 1.1

• Now replaces vanilla map by default (the opposite applies - you can rename/remove MainMenu.xml to revert this)
  • Now mimics the history behaviour of the vanilla map
  • Now includes economy stats button as in vanilla map
  • Now lists jump beacons as in vanilla map
  • Rudimentary (and untested!) jumpdrive support, but not for jumpdrive kickstarter - feedback appreciated
  • Command selection displays above grid buttons (previously was directly above the right-hand list)
  • Clicking a ship in sector view highlights the zone it's in (previously would clear map highlight)
  • Stations are now valid right-click targets (previously would just select a position if you right-clicked a station)
  • Changes to API: Issuable orders can have a priority number now, and the filter function can return a number to override the priority instead of a boolean. The map accepts more than one order being applicable at once, and takes the one with the highest priority.
  • Removed unnecessary debug.log output from MainMenu.xml

Vanilla Commands 1.1

• Added ware exchange grid command
  • Added "force attack" grid command
  • Now properly signals "stop order" followed by command-specific order, as in vanilla gameplay - this fixes a bug where sometimes commands needed to be issued twice

Last edited by MegaJohnny on Fri, 23. Mar 18, 09:32; edited 8 times in total
UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)

MEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

just curious how difficult it would be to suppress your default options in favour of mod-defined options for certain Objects? i have been working on a Script Rewrite for some time now, and because i did everything from Scratch the Command-giving is diffrent from Vanilla - diffrent enough that the Vanilla Orders are simply ignored in most cases ^^ (i have included workarunds for some orders, but thats nothing i want to keep forever)

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter Wink

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help Wink
MegaJohnny

PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Ah, interesting point - I hadn't considered it. Currently if you added your new commands, the map would complain if you did a right-click and both a new command and a built-in command were applicable (and issue neither of them). But I'll let each command have a priority number, and just tell the map to pick the one with the highest.

As for commands in vanilla which have no equivalent in the rewrite, I've been tempted on and off to separate the map and its standard "command pack" into two mods, just for this eventuality - but now I'll definitely go ahead with that.

quarren

PostPosted: Tue, 12. Sep 17, 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

This looks really cool! Looking forward to a download link. Smile

Ezarkal

PostPosted: Tue, 12. Sep 17, 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

oooohhhhh, I think this mod will be in my "must have" stuff.

Thank you for the effort, and please keep us posted!

Smile

MegaJohnny

PostPosted: Sat, 16. Sep 17, 05:28    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Thanks, guys. Smile

I've been able to add some finishing touches and I think it's now ready enough to be uploaded. The link's in the OP. Let me know how you find it!

Ezarkal

PostPosted: Sat, 16. Sep 17, 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Many thanks. Download in progress. I will have time to test it tomorrow.

Informer

PostPosted: Sat, 16. Sep 17, 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

This looks great, gonna have a go with this mod.

Thanks m8

Informer

PostPosted: Sat, 16. Sep 17, 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Hello MegaJohnny,

I did download and try this mod. Both files are in my extension folder.
But I don't get a right click on my ships. Also I don't get the extra sidebar what is showing in your example pictures.

Can it be a problem with other mods? I did start a save game, were I use other mods to.

Thanks,

Informer

MegaJohnny

PostPosted: Sat, 16. Sep 17, 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Informer wrote:
Hello MegaJohnny,

But I don't get a right click on my ships. Also I don't get the extra sidebar what is showing in your example pictures.

Can it be a problem with other mods? I did start a save game, were I use other mods to.

Thanks,

Informer

Just to be clear - are you opening the tactical map via Sidebar Extender (or the optional method described in the readme)? I have a feeling you may be looking at the vanilla map menu, whereas the tactical map is a new menu altogether. Conflict with another mod I would say is very unlikely right now.

birdtable

PostPosted: Sat, 16. Sep 17, 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Tried this with Rebirth VR ,, worked fine but not able to access the lower right hand control buttons ( understandable ) .. Looks good..
Tried in Rebirth beta and could not get the option tactical map to display, could be me as I was rushing a little ( had to go out)... but the VR had mods and Rebirth Beta was vanilla .....
Will give a proper testing tomorrow ....

MegaJohnny

PostPosted: Sat, 16. Sep 17, 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

birdtable wrote:
Tried this with Rebirth VR ,, worked fine but not able to access the lower right hand control buttons ( understandable ) .. Looks good..
Tried in Rebirth beta and could not get the option tactical map to display, could be me as I was rushing a little ( had to go out)... but the VR had mods and Rebirth Beta was vanilla .....
Will give a proper testing tomorrow ....

Thanks Smile

I don't know much about the VR version, so sadly I can't test it properly for usability. Would you say the buttons are too squashed in the corner to be accessible?

As for the beta version, I'm on that as well. If you mean yours is totally vanilla, you'll need Phipsz's Sidebar Extender to get the item to appear. If you have that already, let me know, and I'll see if I forgot anything. Alternatively the readme tells you how to make it replace the vanilla map in some cases.

birdtable

PostPosted: Sat, 16. Sep 17, 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Well I may be not quite accurate with vanilla, did have the sidebar extender or I may well have forgot come to think of it... Rolling Eyes

As I said was in a bit of a rush, spent too much time trying out in VR,, could not find key to access that lower right segment, no hassle there as I am sure it is not intended to work with VR.
Will give thorough testing tomorrow (non VR) but first impressions are good..

Edit .. I do have a few saves with different scenarios so will work through them, the buttons do not appear to be to squashed for accessibility ..

Informer

PostPosted: Sun, 17. Sep 17, 00:55    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

MegaJohnny wrote:
Informer wrote:
Hello MegaJohnny,

Thanks,

Informer

Just to be clear - are you opening the tactical map via Sidebar Extender (or the optional method described in the readme)? I have a feeling you may be looking at the vanilla map menu, whereas the tactical map is a new menu altogether. Conflict with another mod I would say is very unlikely right now.

Thanks for your quick responds. But it was my own mistake. Didn't check the installed files. I did unzip the files but had I had the 2 times the same map in my directory. So off course the mod didn't work that way.
Everything works great, and I must say that you did a great job with this mod.
Will also try the mod tomorrow in x-rebirth VR edition. Very Happy Smile

birdtable

PostPosted: Sun, 17. Sep 17, 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

All working perfectly, no issues.... Smile

The following observations are based on a possible not yet implemented feature or lack of understanding on my part of intended action...

1. After using tactical map would prefer to stay with map for zones, sectors etc ...works with zoom out/zoom in but does not feel quite right.
2. Attack ... can give command to attack enemy ships (red) but command rejected if friendly (green).

The movement command works really well,, liked very much.