Egosoft, Plese stick to what you are good at!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 16. Sep 17, 15:45

I have split and locked a batch of argumentative X3/XR review and statistics posts from this thread. Please remain on topic and discuss your opinions of the likely game content of X4.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sat, 16. Sep 17, 18:24

Alan Phipps wrote:I have split and locked a batch of argumentative X3/XR review and statistics posts from this thread. Please remain on topic and discuss your opinions of the likely game content of X4.
Okay....

In my opinion the most likely game content of X4 will mostly be the same as Rebirths. And I don't like Rebirth's because I prefer X3's.

astreus
xr

Post by astreus » Sat, 16. Sep 17, 20:36

The main tricky thing here is the fact that till X3AP the main goal was to play it for a long time as an open sandbox, while XR and X4 focus (on my op.) also or even more - on short time players.

For the long time players, all eye candy will sooner or later become dull. If you have to walk after 1000 game hours in a station, you really don't recognize what you see, you just want to get the job done.
Or in X3AP you may often just 'sit' in space working on menu, giving remote commands, watching you ships (reduced to symbols) on a map, and enjoy the RESULT of a battle, if it goes as planned (that's interesting). You don't recognize any eye candies anymore.
So, mods which shorten up that walking or any time consuming graphic are welcome then.
Who like to do station walk to a dealer when you could sell or buy while sitting in your ship using the menu?

For short time payers - at the start - eye candies give an amazing 'wow' feeling. Same it does on a adv. trailer - so eye candies are very important for marketing.

So, as from sales view all that excessively graphics on XP(X4) does count, for long time playing it may be bothersome.
The solution is simply to make skip functions. Gamer's choice to save time & CPU when wanted. Hope there are enough on X4.
After more than 10 days DID you have to be mad!

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sun, 17. Sep 17, 08:13

astreus wrote:Who like to do station walk to a dealer when you could sell or buy while sitting in your ship using the menu?

For short time payers - at the start - eye candies give an amazing 'wow' feeling. Same it does on a adv. trailer - so eye candies are very important for marketing.
But if you are a short time player, and you want to get some things done, do you wish the have a time-sink like station walking? I don't think so.

Even as a long time player of X3 I have no interest in time-sinks.

At best I would see the necessity to comm the station manager or quartermaster to make the trade after docking. That's just literally a few key presses (at least in X3) and a level of immersion added. And no need to get out of the ship.

DAG368

More or less ?

Post by DAG368 » Sun, 17. Sep 17, 10:44

Will people be happy with the Egosoft version of X4 or will you wait until the modders make it better like for X3 AP rebalanced mod or litcubes universe?
At the moment its looking like they are making a copy of Rebirth but with the ability to fly all the ships.
Also does it mean less races means less ships than X3 and a smaller universe than X3.
When in improve a game you give more content not less!!!

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 17. Sep 17, 11:25

astreus wrote:Who like to do station walk to a dealer when you could sell or buy while sitting in your ship using the menu?
I do - much prefer to visit a station in person than doing everything over comms. However XR's way of doing it could have been a lot better. Biggest gripe for me with regards to interacting with NPCs was their apparently random distribution inside the station. Made it unnecessarily difficult to find the right NPC. Would have been much better IMO if there had been specific locations to find particular types of NPC - e.g. if traders had their own shops, mission contacts were found in the bar, ship crews in the barracks, etc.

MPX10L
x4

Post by MPX10L » Sun, 17. Sep 17, 11:31

The quality and worth of a game is not determent by the amount of content.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sun, 17. Sep 17, 11:38

GCU Grey Area wrote:Biggest gripe for me with regards to interacting with NPCs was their apparently random distribution inside the station. Made it unnecessarily difficult to find the right NPC. Would have been much better IMO if there had been specific locations to find particular types of NPC - e.g. if traders had their own shops, mission contacts were found in the bar, ship crews in the barracks, etc.
I agree. I also think it's silly that starship crewmembers shuffle themselves randomly and widely across the standard platform - the space isn't huge, granted, but it still causes unnecessary hassle when docking and looking to quickly find the captain, and then maybe go change the defense officer's stance...
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Re: More or less ?

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sun, 17. Sep 17, 11:42

DAG368 wrote:Will people be happy with the Egosoft version of X4 or will you wait until the modders make it better like for X3 AP rebalanced mod or litcubes universe?
My crystal ball is in for repairs, so I can't see the future, but going by past experience: I have always considered the official (vanilla) releases to be the definitive versions of the games, never needing (or indeed wanting) third-party mods to "make them better" - in keeping with that, I predict the same for X4, where I'm concerned. ;)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sun, 17. Sep 17, 12:05

I would have liked to access all those menus from one room in the station. Or on the bridge of a capital ship.

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Sun, 17. Sep 17, 12:08

why did this need it's own thread ...

theres already 974,563,542,728,292,304,049,058,958,585,949,034,003 whine threads about 'boohoo it's not x3 enough, it's just XR2, it's not fair'

dont like it. go pre-order star citizen
be that $1000+ backer and get a meal with the devs

Kitty
x3tc

Re: More or less ?

Post by Kitty » Sun, 17. Sep 17, 12:24

DAG368 wrote:Will people be happy with the Egosoft version of X4 or will you wait until the modders make it better like for X3 AP rebalanced mod or litcubes universe?
[...]
Also does it mean less races means less ships than X3 and a smaller universe than X3.
When in improve a game you give more content not less!!!
The question is good, the way it is formulated is aggressive, which is not pleasant and not acceptable.

Anyway.

I feel like Egosoft understood the message. This does not mean we will be very very happy. Since they changed many things in the game mechanics, they may not have enough time and resource to provide enough for your dreams. You should read the Q/A posts. Many things are answered.

Btw, I did not need "rebalance" mods in previous games. When I find something "unfair", I think and try to find a solution. That's part of the game. I linked alot adding my own ships in X2 and X3R, but still, the Vanilla versions were excellent.
adrianstroschke wrote:The quality and worth of a game is not determent by the amount of content.
This is true for many games. Not for X series.
Look. When you play chess, you don't want to add a "Jester" or a "page".
When you play a "group by 3" game, you don't need to have another color. Too many colors make the game impossible to play.
When you play a shoot them up game, you may enjoy killing just another zombie looking monster, but you don't really need it.

X games are none of these. These games are also about exploration. These games are also about management of complexity. These games are also about the pleasure to flight many different ships. So, yes, X games worth are linked to the amount of content. Flying always the same ship in the same couple of sectors is not X game.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 17. Sep 17, 12:39

Merging DAG368 thread with similar active thread.

@ RodentofDoom: Please leave moderating to the moderators and refrain from making personal comments. If you don't like something you see posted then please PM a forum official about it.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 10:03

I agree with most of the OP.

In so many ways X2 was 'peak' X in terms of design. The switch to the random kitbash look from X3 onwards always seemed odd.

Certainly agree with 'sticking with what you're good at' and conversely stopping what you're bad at.

Station interiors aren't needed. Meeting npc's aren't needed. These were so bad in XR that unless a whole new technology is being used by artists experienced in its use its best not to bother. Eve Online kicked it into touch this year.

Just give us a dynamic sandbox, plenty of great looking ships to fly and things to fight or flee from.

And please - professional quality voice acting - used sparingly and appropriately.

And - drop the attempts at humour. By its nature its going to piss off as many as it delights. Wayne's World is so last century anyway. Play it straight.

Honestly - I'd be wild for a modern X2 - with a 21st century interface and with all the systems working properly on release (not assuming modders will fix and add things). The X Universe is a great game universe and the core X series gameplay totslly solid.

siddham
x3tc

Post by siddham » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 13:00

I want to agree with the OP
Station interiors and walking from ship to ship is a complete waste of development time and resources. No one is going to use that feature more a couple of times in actual gameplay. Unless you force them to by making it the only way to enter a different ship. In which case people will simply stop playing the game.

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 13:14

siddham wrote:No one is going to use that feature more a couple of times in actual gameplay.
Hello, I'm no one.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

antoniut
xr

Post by antoniut » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 14:07

I would like to see interior walking on X4, but:

- Just one interior only per station with shops, job office, bar , bartender, d.j. people walking around, the possibility to play in the arcade machines and pool table, etc. but optional to get inside or not.

Egosoft has now plenty of "walking resources" and it would be a shame to throw them

siddham
x3tc

Post by siddham » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 14:36

Crimsonraziel wrote:
siddham wrote:No one is going to use that feature more a couple of times in actual gameplay.
Hello, I'm no one.
No you're not; you are an intelligent person and will transfer instantly like the rest of us when you are busy playing and building your empire

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 15:59

The rest of you are less than the people that like station interiors according to the always super accurate (with a pinch of salt.. or a bushel) thread wit a poll, that may be the place to discuss about this subject.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

siddham
x3tc

Post by siddham » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 16:37

I dont want to discuss it actually; but I do think it is an important point on this thread and is mentioned by the OP; so I was just supporting that

Return to “X4: Foundations”