Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Anyone play Divinty 1?)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 10:28

I have the black cat, he bonded with Red Prince, who is also my summoner. I tend to forget about pets anyway.

Had my first ever hard drive failure, and my Steam/Origin drive just stopped responding yesterday and sticks at 0% checked when the PC reboots. I guess I'm spending another night fixing computers and trying various software to rescue a few things from the drive (luckily it is mostly Steam/Origin, and all my saves are in MyDocuments on C drive.)
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 13:23

pjknibbs wrote:Never noticed a black cat or a birdie, unless you mean Peeper?
Black cat approaches you just after you find red after the shipwreck. You can talk to him if you have pet pal and he seems to be a little bit confused, doesn't know who he is or how he got onto the island. He bonds onto red if you have him in your party, if you don't he bonds onto your created character and from there on he follows you around. He can be killed in fights or one of the guards kills him at the entrance to the fort with a side story on why he did it. The thing is if you get him through the fort alive he becomes I'll use a spoiler for this:
Spoiler
Show
Once you escape the fort he talks to you saying he has got his memory back and tells you how he got to be on the island and about his old master. Turns out he was a wizards cat and that he likes the person he is bonded too, and wants to be that persons familiar. So at this point he becomes a summonable pet, but you do not require the summon skill to summon him, he stays out for 9 turns. I think if you do have the summon skill you get a stat boost (not sure on this). More importantly he has two spells, one is feline leap where he can leap to another location, his second is swap places where he can swap places with any party member. So you can use him to leap to an area you cant reach and then swap places with a party member, in other words he acts like a second teleportation spell. He can be used during a fight but doesn't use up any points, so if you had a mob up on a ledge that you cant reach, the cat can leap up onto the ledge then swap places with a party member so they are right next to the mob, and do it for free. The Black cat is well worth it.
Birdie is a young dog that is being help prisoner and is being turned into one of the hounds used to hunt and kill source users. You find him in a cage in the room next to where Emmie is, who you are looking for from the quest finding Emmie which you get from the dog buddie in fort joy slum area, of course for that quest you need to have the skill Pet Pal activated on one of your characters. Some people say it is a useless skill, I think it is an important skill as it lets you talk to any animal, where you find secrets, get quests and some even give you items, if you don't have the skill you lose out on a lot of content.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 14:01

Black Pits. Ugh.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 15:47

felter wrote: Birdie is a young dog that is being help prisoner and is being turned into one of the hounds used to hunt and kill source users. You find him in a cage in the room next to where Emmie is, who you are looking for from the quest finding Emmie which you get from the dog buddie in fort joy slum area, of course for that quest you need to have the skill Pet Pal activated on one of your characters. Some people say it is a useless skill, I think it is an important skill as it lets you talk to any animal, where you find secrets, get quests and some even give you items, if you don't have the skill you lose out on a lot of content.
Ah!
Yes, I was disapointed I couldn't seem to rescue Emmie, and then another failed conversation with Birdie. Disappointing all round, didn't know birdie could be rescued.

I love picturing the voice actor in their booth pretending to be a pig on fire or a rat that can only tell the truth. "6 years at RADA for this!?!?!?"
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 16:28

Now you mention it, I do recall seeing the corpse of a black cat near the fort entrance and wondering where it came from...

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 21:42

OK, I've found something to have a good moan about. The inventory system is beyond awful :-/.
I can't breathe.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 23:11

I don't find the inventory system *too* terrible (I mean, if you want an absolutely godawful inventory try playing Might and Magic IX sometime), but I do wish the game would allow you to switch between characters when picking a quest reward so you can directly compare the reward with what your characters' equipment.

I also find the Source abilities really, well, meh. Considering they need a rare component to use you would expect them to be more powerful and swingy than they actually are--I mean, the wolf Ifan can summon is only about as powerful as the fully-buffed Incarnate he can also get, only it has less tactical options, and Lohse's ability to send people mad and make them attack each other sounds really good, until you realise it's blocked by magic armour and is thus unusable 90% of the time you'd actually want to use it.

Still enjoying the heck out of the game, though, and I'm only halfway through Driftwood with 42 hours played according to Steam!

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 23:52

79 hours, I think I'm getting close to the end of Driftwood.
I can't breathe.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Fri, 29. Sep 17, 11:01

pjknibbs wrote:
I also find the Source abilities really, well, meh.
Same for me... I'm assuming that you start to get a gazillion Source points later down the road, as the higher end spells need Source points and AP.

Magic armor... It's really adding a level of annoyance... I wouldn't mind if physical and magical armor were all treated as a single pool of protection... But having them as separate makes the game less fun. I know they were going for "Use tactics!!!" But what I actually get is "Oh, I have 3 AP left this round, no point using any of my skills for this character as they are all physical armor, and this guy's magic armor is almost zero... I guess I'll just waste a couple of AP and save the rest."

Edit--->>> I haven't played it for 4 days due to hard-drive issues... I'm not really missing it... I don't find it very relaxing, it is almost like work (Well, not really... But it isn't very relaxing). I love it while I play it, but don't miss it when it's gone.
Last edited by Jericho on Fri, 29. Sep 17, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 29. Sep 17, 12:46

I don't have a problem with magic/physical armour. It *does* introduce tactics when you have more than one enemy--you start to think, "I should use my physical attack guys against this one because his physical armour is low, while the mages need to concentrate on this other one.".

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 29. Sep 17, 16:19

pjknibbs wrote: I also find the Source abilities really, well, meh. Considering they need a rare component to use you would expect them to be more powerful and swingy than they actually are--I mean, the wolf Ifan can summon is only about as powerful as the fully-buffed Incarnate he can also get, only it has less tactical options, and Lohse's ability to send people mad and make them attack each other sounds really good, until you realise it's blocked by magic armour and is thus unusable 90% of the time you'd actually want to use it.
- Have you ever tried to use Bless on a field of fire? It's glorious.
- Mad actually very useful when you can use it. It's not rare to run into enemies with zero Magic armor but ridiculous high physical armor.
- I run a 2 mages set up, Losh is a Hydro/Gero and Les is a Pyro/Air, they can strip any amount of Magic armor real fast. The Pyri spell Laser Fire strip magic armor like it's not even there.

The inventory is horrible, which was my peeve from the first game and kinda surprise they doesn't seem even try to fix it. But if I have to note the biggest problem I currently have is ... I think how teleport spell/ability are overused in the game. Mage have, 2 Warrior have 1, rogue have 2, and that's not counting all the special abilities that does similar things that feels half the enemies out there have. I feel this is done on purpose by the dev to 'cheese' the player. I'm finding the most decisive factor in most of the fight simply how many positional spell you have.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 29. Sep 17, 17:01

Mightysword wrote: - I run a 2 mages set up, Losh is a Hydro/Gero and Les is a Pyro/Air, they can strip any amount of Magic armor real fast. The Pyri spell Laser Fire strip magic armor like it's not even there.
I've got Laser, and yes, it's very good--but when it's possible to encounter guys with approaching 1200 magic armour at level 11 (e.g. most of the Voidwoken in the second level of Wrecker's Cove in Driftwood) Laser doesn't seem all that powerful anymore. Plus, one of the critical things about this game is that the enemies generally have exactly the same abilities you have access to, so an enemy using Laser on *you* can really ruin your day!

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 29. Sep 17, 17:51

pjknibbs wrote:Plus, one of the critical things about this game is that the enemies generally have exactly the same abilities you have access to, so an enemy using Laser on *you* can really ruin your day!
One of the things I like about the game is that, apparently, enemy npcs will use a level appropriate "loremaster skill" to look at your characters and, based on what they see in terms of resistances and abilities like Opportunist, vary their attacks.
I can't breathe.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 29. Sep 17, 22:05

Well, I found Peeper's dad. The result wasn't...great, really.

Party has just hit level 13, heading into Blackpits now.

dreamer2008
x4

Post by dreamer2008 » Sat, 30. Sep 17, 10:42

Divinity Original Sin 1 is great, worth playing for sure. It can be complicated at first, but once you get the Master level spells it becomes super easy.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 30. Sep 17, 14:35

Wow. I just had the most intense fight of the game so far in the Blackpits. Started out with three magisters so didn't seem that tough, but then a bunch of weak Oil Voidlings appeared. Those guys left oil pools everywhere they went, so it wasn't long before the entire screen was on fire and my framerate was tanking massively. Then a couple of bigger, tougher Oil Voidlings showed up, and some Fire ones appeared too, who obviously heal in fire so were having great fun in the sea of cursed fire that was all over the place. Fane had to flee the battle halfway through, partly because he was close to death and I couldn't heal him and partly because he's a Geomancer/Pyrokinetic and thus couldn't do anything against the Fire Voidlings, but somehow the other three managed to hold on and defeat everyone.

I reckon the fight took around an hour all told. Hope for more like that later on!

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 30. Sep 17, 15:10

I needed multiple goes at that fight.
I can't breathe.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 30. Sep 17, 16:27

pjknibbs wrote:Wow. I just had the most intense fight of the game so far in the Blackpits. Started out with three magisters so didn't seem that tough, but then a bunch of weak Oil Voidlings appeared. Those guys left oil pools everywhere they went, so it wasn't long before the entire screen was on fire and my framerate was tanking massively. Then a couple of bigger, tougher Oil Voidlings showed up, and some Fire ones appeared too, who obviously heal in fire so were having great fun in the sea of cursed fire that was all over the place. Fane had to flee the battle halfway through, partly because he was close to death and I couldn't heal him and partly because he's a Geomancer/Pyrokinetic and thus couldn't do anything against the Fire Voidlings, but somehow the other three managed to hold on and defeat everyone.

I reckon the fight took around an hour all told. Hope for more like that later on!
Did you try to bless the fire?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 30. Sep 17, 19:58

I tried that in another fight earlier, but didn't have any Source available to do it in this one.

Oh, and I totally cheesed a later fight by using crates to block the ladders leading up to the wooden platform I was on, using my height advantage to deal loadsa damage...

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 18:50

New hard drive in, 'some' data recovered, nothing important lost. Reinstalling Original Sin 2.

Dreading working out which Fallout 4 mods I had installed... That's really going to screw up my huge constructions :(

Return to “Off Topic English”