Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Anyone play Divinty 1?)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 13:24

AFAIK crafting is just done by right-clicking items in your inventory and selecting "Combine With". I've not really bothered with it yet, though.

Had a bit of a frustrating time last night--I have a level 11 party and got into a fight with a bunch of level 12 scarecrows (don't ask), but those guys were *nails*. Their magic attacks were doing around 150 per round and once your magic armour was gone they just Feared you into doing nothing--I think I managed to take maybe two actions during the entire fight. That's the one problem of turn-based fighting like this, you can spend five minutes twiddling your thumbs waiting to lose because the game doesn't give you a chance to do anything!

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 14:25

pjknibbs wrote:AFAIK crafting is just done by right-clicking items in your inventory and selecting "Combine With". I've not really bothered with it yet, though.
I have a million & 1 recipes from all the crafting books. have you guys read those? Press G on the keyboard and it brings up the crafting interface. For anything substantial, you'll need to click on an anvil or oven etc.

I don't have much interest in crafting (other than lockpicks) so I just sold it all to lighten my load. I did make a lot of dinners though, to heal with.
pjknibbs wrote: Had a bit of a frustrating time last night--I have a level 11 party and got into a fight with a bunch of level 12 scarecrows (don't ask), but those guys were *nails*. Their magic attacks were doing around 150 per round and once your magic armour was gone they just Feared you into doing nothing--I think I managed to take maybe two actions during the entire fight. That's the one problem of turn-based fighting like this, you can spend five minutes twiddling your thumbs waiting to lose because the game doesn't give you a chance to do anything!
Those scarecrows made me change back to Explorer mode... And still killed me. I failed all the conversation checks to try and talk to them too. I'll come back to them later. I found it annoying with the Fear spell, as my team just ran away VERY slowly and it took forever.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 14:31

Jericho wrote:I have a million & 1 recipes from all the crafting books. have you guys read those? Press G on the keyboard and it brings up the crafting interface. For anything substantial, you'll need to click on an anvil or oven etc.
Yeah I've looked at all the recipes I have (and I read all books etc) and it's just "meh".
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 16:00

RegisterMe wrote:
Jericho wrote:I have a million & 1 recipes from all the crafting books. have you guys read those? Press G on the keyboard and it brings up the crafting interface. For anything substantial, you'll need to click on an anvil or oven etc.
Yeah I've looked at all the recipes I have (and I read all books etc) and it's just "meh".
That's my opinion too... But I'm guessing you make magic stuff with the runes or stuff. Actually, I've not yet added a rune to a weapon/armor. I tried in the craft screen and it didn't work.

Now I'm on the mainland, I've really started spending my money. Almost wish I hadn't as it takes from the thrill of finding loot.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 16:40

You run out of money pretty quickly if you start buying the *really* nice stuff, though...when a nice suit of level 12 armour will set you back 3000 gold, you just can't afford to buy it most of the time, especially when you'll probably only use it for a couple of levels before replacing it!

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 16:58

Is there a way to have two skill tool bars displayed at the same time? I know you can cycle through them but equipping potions and scrolls etc on them is such a pita I can't be bothered most of the time (and I just crafted a load to use up resources I had piled up).
I can't breathe.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 17:57

RegisterMe wrote:Is there a way to have two skill tool bars displayed at the same time? I know you can cycle through them but equipping potions and scrolls etc on them is such a pita I can't be bothered most of the time (and I just crafted a load to use up resources I had piled up).
Check out the workshop if you bought on steam or https://www.nexusmods.com/games/? if you bought it elsewhere. They might have a skillbar mod. (Mods will currently prevent you from getting achievements though).

I'm using a mod that prevents picked up items from being added randomly to the toolbar.

I'm contemplating getting the 6-character party mod too...

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 19:14

Good idea re checking the workshop. I'll do a clean vanilla run for achievements and then take a look - the six character party mod? That sounds fun, I might do a second run at "tactical" with that (I sorely miss not having a ranged aspect to my party at times).
I can't breathe.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 19:25

I like the fact that you can change the character class/style when you recruit them. Have changed Sebille (sp?) to be a ranger so I've got at least one ranged element to the party.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 19:44

Well, I discovered a rather efficient way of dealing with Mr. Scarecrow and his friends--I sent Fane (he has the best magic armour of any in my party, so was likely to last longest before getting terrified) on his own to speak to the scarecrow, then, when he aggroed, I quickly ran him back to the Paladin checkpoint where the rest of the party were. Fane did end up dying because the scarecrows concentrated fire on him even after he made it into the checkpoint, but nobody else got a scratch and all the scarecrows were killed!

Now, if only I could do that for any other tough fights...

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 00:07

Hey guys not been around much of late, not had the time, not even had the time to play the DOS 2 either, actually only just left fort Joy tonight. A few things someone mentioned Runes to attach them you need something that can take a rune to start with, to attach a rune to the item press G on your keyboard and press on the rune button, find the item on whatever character has the item using the little character box, click on the rune box to find a rune use the same method as finding the item that can be used.

Someone also mentioned crafting, if you want recipes look at this that's all of the recipes for crafting, and other things.

Quite surprised that no one mentioned either Birdie or black cat, I actually managed to get out of fort Joy with Black cat still alive, took some doing and I had to re-load the game a few times, as the stupid cat got itself killed once or twice, normally when I didn't see it happening. The last time I actually said to myself, what did that monk just attack, I found out about an hour later that it was black cat, so I had to find the last save before he got killed, but it is worth it to get him out of fort Joy alive.

Saved birdie, though I had to put a point into pet pal with red, didn't want to do that as I now have two characters with the pet pal skill, but I didn't want to kill birdie and I hope I run into him alive and well later in the game, but I'm not sure if that happens, so I don't know if there was any sane reason to save him unlike black cat.

Loved the first one, have several hundred hours playing it, right now I think this is a better game, but we will see,
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 00:11

My only problem with the cat is that it bonded with the character I'd already set up as my summoner :(.
I can't breathe.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 01:13

pjknibbs wrote:Well, I discovered a rather efficient way of dealing with Mr. Scarecrow and his friends--I sent Fane (he has the best magic armour of any in my party, so was likely to last longest before getting terrified) on his own to speak to the scarecrow, then, when he aggroed, I quickly ran him back to the Paladin checkpoint where the rest of the party were. Fane did end up dying because the scarecrows concentrated fire on him even after he made it into the checkpoint, but nobody else got a scratch and all the scarecrows were killed!

Now, if only I could do that for any other tough fights...
Here is a safer way to ultilize this strategy:

Instead of using the character with highest defense, aggro with the character with the highest initiative. Make sure you're the one who start the first round of combat. Have another character with the teleportation spell stand in the back at max range, then tele the aggroed character once combat start. This way the enemies wouldn't be able to lay a finger on your character, much less casualty. :wink:

The teleportation spell is ridiculous. I have 2 character with it now and wonder if I should make everyone have it. My favorite tactic - when permitted - is to have one of my char to stay on the other side of an impassable Terran, have this character teleport the tough enemy (usually the boss) to this side, then use another character to teleport that character back. Then we all beat up on his helpless minion when he's standing there watching or making the long way around to get back. Cheese anyone? :D

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 01:15

I was fortunate that I knew about the cat beforehand, so I bypassed red and went straight for the cat so he bonded to my main character, then went back for red.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 09:06

Never noticed a black cat or a birdie, unless you mean Peeper?

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 10:28

I have the black cat, he bonded with Red Prince, who is also my summoner. I tend to forget about pets anyway.

Had my first ever hard drive failure, and my Steam/Origin drive just stopped responding yesterday and sticks at 0% checked when the PC reboots. I guess I'm spending another night fixing computers and trying various software to rescue a few things from the drive (luckily it is mostly Steam/Origin, and all my saves are in MyDocuments on C drive.)

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 13:23

pjknibbs wrote:Never noticed a black cat or a birdie, unless you mean Peeper?
Black cat approaches you just after you find red after the shipwreck. You can talk to him if you have pet pal and he seems to be a little bit confused, doesn't know who he is or how he got onto the island. He bonds onto red if you have him in your party, if you don't he bonds onto your created character and from there on he follows you around. He can be killed in fights or one of the guards kills him at the entrance to the fort with a side story on why he did it. The thing is if you get him through the fort alive he becomes I'll use a spoiler for this:
Spoiler
Show
Once you escape the fort he talks to you saying he has got his memory back and tells you how he got to be on the island and about his old master. Turns out he was a wizards cat and that he likes the person he is bonded too, and wants to be that persons familiar. So at this point he becomes a summonable pet, but you do not require the summon skill to summon him, he stays out for 9 turns. I think if you do have the summon skill you get a stat boost (not sure on this). More importantly he has two spells, one is feline leap where he can leap to another location, his second is swap places where he can swap places with any party member. So you can use him to leap to an area you cant reach and then swap places with a party member, in other words he acts like a second teleportation spell. He can be used during a fight but doesn't use up any points, so if you had a mob up on a ledge that you cant reach, the cat can leap up onto the ledge then swap places with a party member so they are right next to the mob, and do it for free. The Black cat is well worth it.
Birdie is a young dog that is being help prisoner and is being turned into one of the hounds used to hunt and kill source users. You find him in a cage in the room next to where Emmie is, who you are looking for from the quest finding Emmie which you get from the dog buddie in fort joy slum area, of course for that quest you need to have the skill Pet Pal activated on one of your characters. Some people say it is a useless skill, I think it is an important skill as it lets you talk to any animal, where you find secrets, get quests and some even give you items, if you don't have the skill you lose out on a lot of content.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 14:01

Black Pits. Ugh.
I can't breathe.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 15:47

felter wrote: Birdie is a young dog that is being help prisoner and is being turned into one of the hounds used to hunt and kill source users. You find him in a cage in the room next to where Emmie is, who you are looking for from the quest finding Emmie which you get from the dog buddie in fort joy slum area, of course for that quest you need to have the skill Pet Pal activated on one of your characters. Some people say it is a useless skill, I think it is an important skill as it lets you talk to any animal, where you find secrets, get quests and some even give you items, if you don't have the skill you lose out on a lot of content.
Ah!
Yes, I was disapointed I couldn't seem to rescue Emmie, and then another failed conversation with Birdie. Disappointing all round, didn't know birdie could be rescued.

I love picturing the voice actor in their booth pretending to be a pig on fire or a rat that can only tell the truth. "6 years at RADA for this!?!?!?"

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 16:28

Now you mention it, I do recall seeing the corpse of a black cat near the fort entrance and wondering where it came from...

Return to “Off Topic English”