Alexey Zakharov and X4 soundtrack

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Alexey Zakharov and X4 soundtrack

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 19:25

Have Alexey Zakharov already starte working on X4 soundtrack?
Is there a chance for sneak peak?

Regarding the soundtrack composition - will he try something completely new like in X-Rebirth? or maybe stick closer to "classic soundtrack" of X3 games?

I think overall I didn't like X-Rebirth soundtrack - with the exception of "Dancing Nebulae" none of track gave me any Zakharov/X-Game feeling.

In other hand most of X3 track gave me a chills every time I listen to them and I listen to them for over a decade! the new TC and AP tracks were also nice, but nothing beat the X3 classic (which were the discography from X-BTF, X-Tension, X2 and X3 reunion).

I think for X4 it would be great if the soundtrack would be some kind remix, reimage of X3 classic soundracks.
That way you got double points for creating soemthing new, but with the nostalgy flavor!
Last edited by mr.WHO on Wed, 30. Aug 17, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 20:08

I think Zakharov has developed a lot to the better regarding soundtrack composition and quality from X3 to XRebirth.
However, I completely agree with you

While X3 had this "mysterious lonely beautiful space" type of music, XR was way too casual. The music has no chill.
I guess this was part of the "GTA in space" concept.

IMO this is one of the most important game design topics, next to graphics and gameplay, it needs to compliment both.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

HaradaTaro

Post by HaradaTaro » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 21:22

I don't want to be rude but music is in 99% of case is the first thing I turn off in a game and put on my own playlist. Unless it is an adventure game where music can sometime be interesting and giving in the scene. But on a space game I wo with my own list.

If you can follow the pace of John williams' imperial march, battle of Hot or asteroild fiel... If you can give me as many emotion as Enio moricone can in his soundtracks.... or simply can compete with Beethoven, Lully or Chopin... yes your soundtrack for the game can interest me if not better to spend the budget into something else more important.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 23:54

Have you actually listened to the music from the older games? You should do it if you haven't already. I can't think of any music that's better suited to listening to during those games. In fact, I often listen to it when I'm not playing the games. Try it. You'll like it. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 00:05

Nanook wrote:Have you actually listened to the music from the older games? You should do it if you haven't already. I can't think of any music that's better suited to listening to during those games. In fact, I often listen to it when I'm not playing the games. Try it. You'll like it. :D
Agree completely, also often listen to it outside the games, in particular it's by far my favourite driving music.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 00:33

Tamina wrote:...IMO this is one of the most important game design topics, next to graphics and gameplay, it needs to compliment both.
^--- This.

I a game with such stunning visuals and one that attempts to achieve and reinforce a constant theme, the music is extremely important.

It's critical.

X3:TC's music is wonderful. It's perfect. We need to hear it again, or its like, in X4.

A related question - Will "Betty" return? Asking the important questions... :)

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 00:49

HaradaTaro wrote:I don't want to be rude but music is in 99% of case is the first thing I turn off in a game and put on my own playlist. Unless it is an adventure game where music can sometime be interesting and giving in the scene. But on a space game I wo with my own list.

If you can follow the pace of John williams' imperial march, battle of Hot or asteroild fiel... If you can give me as many emotion as Enio moricone can in his soundtracks.... or simply can compete with Beethoven, Lully or Chopin... yes your soundtrack for the game can interest me if not better to spend the budget into something else more important.
You are new to X games, aren't you? :lol:

Just the thought of entering Kingdom End or Getsu Fune in X3 with music turned off...*shudders*

Commander SAMU
x4

Post by Commander SAMU » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 00:55

Oh yes that's an important part for me too. In X3 it was always a joy to return to Kingdom End just for hearing that wonderful soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi1M747Iw48

EDIT: I see, I'm not the only one obviously :)
Aken_Bosch wrote:Just the thought of entering Kingdom End or Getsu Fune in X3 with music turned off...*shudders*

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 02:38

Egosoft totally has my permission to recycle music from X3 for use in X4. I won't complain. In fact, I would applaud them for it!

Just one thing though, I kinda dislike the combat music. I would rather the sector music keep playing during combat than have it jarringly interrupted every time a pirate passes close by.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 03:12

Falcrack wrote:Egosoft totally has my permission to recycle music from X3 for use in X4. I won't complain. In fact, I would applaud them for it!

Just one thing though, I kinda dislike the combat music. I would rather the sector music keep playing during combat than have it jarringly interrupted every time a pirate passes close by.
Dynamic music tracks are sort of a staple in most action/adventure games. If they weren't there, you'd probably miss them.

A user-choice toggle in the Options menu, though, might be a nice option for many players.

PS - There have been plenty of times when such music was the only thing that woke me up to the fact I was being attacked, no matter how much whatever game tried to warn me, otherwise. :)

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 06:28

I play the music from all the X-Games (even have a few IWar2 tracks too) whenever I shower and also quite often when driving. Whatever he comes up with is 100% fine by me.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

HaradaTaro

Post by HaradaTaro » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 08:25

I am not new, I play X games since X2, the only one I haven't done is the first X. And yes I know about the soundtracks but sorry they don't really appeal me, not thriling, not emotionful to my ears but I respect your opinion you may love them and find them important. We all have our own opinion and are all free to state iour opinion. And to me, with all respect du to the artist, well they don't compete.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 08:29

If while docking they switched the music to the Blue Danube waltz that would make me feel happy.

I could pretend I was in 2001 A Space Odyssey.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

CommanderTM
xr

Post by CommanderTM » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 09:31

I spent way more time in Kingdom End in X3 just because of the music... I am not big soundrack fan and there are only some game music that i listen outside of the game but this is one of them. :)

Lwerewolf
x4

Post by Lwerewolf » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 13:26

The only problem with x3's music was the abrupt shifts... especially when you start doing things fast and jump in/out of combat/systems in less than a minute. Oh and the @$#%@$ docking music... I mean it's fine, but I hear it more often that the seasonal hit on the radio >_<

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 14:32

CommanderTM wrote:I spent way more time in Kingdom End in X3 just because of the music...
This! And also remember the first time you enter Getsu Fune, the music was nothing short than mind blowing :-)

Cheers Euclid

ps: Just noticed that Elvis (Alex) has entered the building (forum) :D
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Axeface
x4

Suggestion: Dynamic music

Post by Axeface » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 20:08

In X3 one of the things that gave the races their 'je ne se quoi' was their sectors, and a big part of that was the music - which almost always reflected the races personalities. There are so many tracks that i'll never forget... Kingdom End, Siezewell, Home of Light, Getsu Fune.
While Rebirth had some cool tracks, it was no way near as cool, memorable or relaxing as travelling around X3 was - I never thought "I want to build my stations right here".

So, Now that x4 is going to feature 'sector takeover' mechanics I started to think that it might be really difficult to give sectors a certain feeling - so I suggest that Egosoft assign many tracks to each race (maybe even reuse the old tracks or update them a bit?), much like the old games, and make the music tracks switch when a race takes over sectors/systems. Just a thought.

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 22:19

Always loved the X series of sound tracts(excluding XR/didn't buy) for me it would be very acceptable to have the X3 tracks back maybe a few more new added.

As has been said above just a few options added to the players ability to assign what tracts to docking and pirates and maybe a "home sector" would be the perfect adjustment!

-Dna-
x4

Post by -Dna- » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 22:25

I hope the music files will be moddable again: it is awesome to use the best of all Alexei's music togheter 8-)
Remember: Good things don't come to an end: good things just stop. ~ [cit. Sean "Day[9]" Plott]

:xenon: Xenon Love! \#/ :xenon:
:split: Grill the Borons! :split:
:pirat: Real pirates (ab)use Jumpdrive (and Rum) :pirat:

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 22:37

euclid wrote:
CommanderTM wrote:I spent way more time in Kingdom End in X3 just because of the music...
This! And also remember the first time you enter Getsu Fune, the music was nothing short than mind blowing :-)
Agreed. That was one of my favourite sectors to hang around; all the equipment docks, the flow of Xenon, and the awesome music. :D

Return to “X4: Foundations”