EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

Game start famous quotes.
View previous topic :: View next topic
lostProfitssssArrgh

PostPosted: Tue, 29. Aug 17, 02:57    Post subject: Game start famous quotes. Reply with quote Print

Hi!

has anyone managed to change the quotes that are displayed after launching the game? I compiled a list of 63 quotes using page 1701 into an xml thinking it would be as easy as dropping it into the addon/t folder, but no luck.

Changing the name of the xml to 0001-L044 makes them work but... Yeah, everything else in the game becomes ReadText. Also, I don't think that extracting the original file and modding that is an option wr/t sharing it here.

Thank you,
LPA

EDIT : It's apparently possible to add to the existing list, there is a 68th quote found by x-studio that's not in the 0001-L044 (Metrodorus). What's puzzling is that I can't find that #68 anywhere else in the t folder... Anyways, i tried bumping my quote numbers past 68 and putting them in the t folder as a mod resource, but no go.

EDIT 2: I found quote #68. It was at page 301701... Even using that page number, the ones I'm trying to add don't either overwrite (using strings 1-67) or merge (69-...). Page number 351701 freezes once in a while after hitting enter on the ES logo (yay! different behavior). Nothing happens with page 381701. At this point, I'm guessing that the quote total is either referenced somewhere obscure or hard-coded.

And I thought this was going to be an easy, entertaining micro-project after dealing with msci stuff. Silly me.

lostProfitssssArrgh

PostPosted: Tue, 29. Aug 17, 09:06    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

(Bumping for file link)

Ok, I give up. Either I'm completely missing something obvious, or the quote total is hard-coded or I've had such improbable RNG luck that my file never got picked despite doubling the quote count.

Sigh. Here's the file if anyone has nothing else to do and care to take a look.

Disclaimer:
- Some quotes contain familiar language.
- Some quotes require a decent sarcasm detector.

>>FILE<<

The file is configured to use page #381701.

Joubarbe

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Tue, 29. Aug 17, 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

The game doesn't magically load your t file. In a normal mod, you have to use the "load text" command in your setup script. That being said, I don't know how the game loads it when it comes to out-of-game strings. Maybe try to create a setup file to load your t file. I doubt it will work but you can try.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Tue, 29. Aug 17, 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

A setup file wouldn't help here as they are run after the game starts. So the text file wouldn't be loaded until after the quotes are displayed.

Instead , name your file as 0003-L044.xml

lostProfitssssArrgh

PostPosted: Tue, 29. Aug 17, 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Oh.. Hi! Thanks for looking into this.

I tried what you suggested but it didn't work with the changes i made:

(I added 67 strings, for reference)

After renaming 9942-L044.xml to 0003-L044.xml:

Did every permutation of :

- using string ids ranging 1-67 for new content

- putting in the new content starting at string id 69, leaving the existing #68 in

- changing page ids to known or potential values of 1701, 301701, 351701 and 381701.

- put 0003-L044 in either /%X3AP_n.exe folder%/t and /%X3AP_n.exe folder%/addon/t

- reloaded several times at every change, especially with string ids > 68 (i can assume 50% chance of new quotes, right?)

No go. So, for the sake of sanity (and thereby preventing distribution of the quotes), I extracted 0001-L044 and placed it in /%X3AP_n.exe folder%/addon/t :

- loaded as-is for security, works as expected

- replaced the content of page 1701's string ids 1-67 with garbage, got garbage as expected

- added the new quotes in page 1701 starting at 69 (leaving a gap for 68 ), reloads.... Only got the original 68

- cut/pasted the quotes into page 301701 after id 68. reloads............. no quote with id > 68 loaded

At this point, I conclude that the value that defines the number of quotes to be picked from is a constant stored somewhere else. Not knowing the internal workings of the loading process, my conclusion can, of course, be wrong.

But I tried everything I could think of.