Foundations?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

nap_rz
x3tc

Foundations?

Post by nap_rz » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 04:39

:? really egosoft? you subtitled your game with "Foundations" ???

:lol: what does it even mean?

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 09:44

there's several aspects that i see to it

First is the new station building system, where you first lay a foundation object and then build your station up.

Second is that the gates are now up, and the various star nations and groups are laying the foundations for the new order

Third.. i had a third, but forgot while i was typing up the first two. :shock:
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 10:43

Sandalpocalypse wrote:there's several aspects that i see to it

First is the new station building system, where you first lay a foundation object and then build your station up.

Second is that the gates are now up, and the various star nations and groups are laying the foundations for the new order

Third.. i had a third, but forgot while i was typing up the first two. :shock:
Well, at least you laid the foundations :p

Nice, I hadn't thought about the station aspect. As we explore, gain wealth, undertake research and learn about station modules, we'll also be laying the foundations for a future empire.
Last edited by Sparky Sparkycorp on Sun, 27. Aug 17, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ricemanu
x4

Post by Ricemanu » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 11:51

I think your interpretations are all good.
My take is that after the X series was reborn (Rebirth) now they're laying the foundation for this new and enhanced series, just like X3 was the last foundation. :)

lostProfitssssArrgh

Post by lostProfitssssArrgh » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 17:17

Sandalpocalypse wrote:... First is the new station building system, where you first lay a foundation object and then build your station up...
Foundation:
noun
the lowest load-bearing part of a building, typically below ground level.
"foundations were being dug for a block of flats"
synonyms: footing, foot, base, substructure, understructure, underpinning;

Not sure this applies in space :P

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 17:20

Ricemanu wrote:I think your interpretations are all good.
My take is that after the X series was reborn (Rebirth) now they're laying the foundation for this new and enhanced series, just like X3 was the last foundation. :)

This was also my line of thinking

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 17:37

thrangar wrote:
Ricemanu wrote:I think your interpretations are all good.

This was also my line of thinking
to be precise this Title is for X-Beyond the Frontier or X-Tension. X² was built on top of the foundation of these and X³ was built on the Foundation of X².
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Ricemanu
x4

Post by Ricemanu » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 18:27

Yes Uni, that's right, but that would make X:R the actual foundation, since X4 is based on that, too. I was refering to the extensive X3 universe (reunion, TC, AP). The new X4 is the foundation, then we might see X4: First Floor, then X4: Roof. :D

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 03:37

Not only referring to the pillars upon which more magnificent games will be build. But also a small homage to the Foundations Series by Isaac Asimov. My take...
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

nap_rz
x3tc

Post by nap_rz » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 05:32

Santi wrote:Not only referring to the pillars upon which more magnificent games will be build. But also a small homage to the Foundations Series by Isaac Asimov. My take...
Still doesn't feel catchy enough name for a game...

Heck, something like X4 Founders is better name lol.

duncan idaho
x4

Post by duncan idaho » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 05:42

It strikes me that Rebirth already covered the whole 'start over' theme, and perhaps X4 should be named as a major advance and not just another new beginning. Those who felt they got burned by XR probably want to hear that Egosoft have taken on board all of the criticism and intend to address it in X4 (the feature list certainly suggests this to me). I gather that X4 will be centered around the races finally recolonizing the jump gate network after the collapse, and perhaps something like X4: Diaspora or X4: Empires would be more appropriate?

BmB

Post by BmB » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 12:16

To me it implies that the gameplay of the initial release is a solid foundation on which to build. Implying that there is more to come if it does well. And also limiting the scope to making the fundamentals work first.

Phlt
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Phlt » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 13:43

Hope Egosoft will offer a free copy of the game to Isaac Asimov's children...

RodentofDoom
x4

Re: Foundations?

Post by RodentofDoom » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 00:06

nap_rz wrote::? really egosoft? you subtitled your game with "Foundations" ???

:lol: what does it even mean?
so we're ready for

X5 - Empires

ps
Sorry Asimov fans

Kitty
x3tc

Post by Kitty » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 10:07

Phlt wrote:Hope Egosoft will offer a free copy of the game to Isaac Asimov's children...
Yes, for me Foundation is mainly a Isaac Asimov reference. Knowing that this author made popular the concept of robots and told the 3 laws of robotic (just to find the gaps in them), and knowing what the xenons are, this title is just fun.

It does not tell anything on the game, anyway. Too many interpretations.

CommanderTM
xr

Post by CommanderTM » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 11:24

I think this game becomes X3 and we get very similar but enhanced iterations of this game throughout the next 10 years.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 12:54

I thought it was pretty obvious to be honest and is quite a good name really.

"Foundations" in this context implies a new beginning, paving the way for something to come.

Perhaps:
Will the races in X4 will be reactivating jump gates?
Will we discover new terrority, or new areas of the galaxy thus laying the foundations for colonising or exploring?
Will there be a plot climax (although not a full story mode as already pretty much confirmed) which reveals something to come in an expansion?

Or it could just be because Bernd likes the new station building so much that he named it after that as someone already mentioned and that's all there is to it :D

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Sun, 3. Sep 17, 01:01

My guess is they called it Foundation because it's the foundation of a new series in the X-universe.

For X2 up to X3:TC (didn't play any other X-game before X2 and didn't buy X3:AP either), they merely expanded on the same universe and added more features, ships, station-types and such, but it was basically still the same universe, just expanded over time.

I also think they ran out of ideas for new features with this universe and decided to restart the X-series with a new universe, modified system-layout, new graphics engine and more, that restart became X Rebirth.

Rebirth was a prototype for something bigger: X Foundation.

I only hope this foundation doesn't have too many cracks (bugs) in the beginning, as it will turn into rubble when many players run over it (they try to play it but stumble over every crack/bug).

I can imagine they lost quite a few players with the launch of Rebirth, I guess they can't afford to lose more with the launch of Foundations.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sun, 3. Sep 17, 01:08

idk, all their launches have been train wrecks
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

Silla
xr

Post by Silla » Sun, 3. Sep 17, 17:19

If Rebirth was the hole in the dirt... Foundations is the concrete in that hole now to build up on the following interactions to come...

Return to “X4: Foundations”