Walking

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rrfarmer
x4

Walking

Post by rrfarmer » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 16:33

Can we play the game WITHOUT having to walk everywhere in the ships and stations?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 16:51

Already asked at XCon - waiting to see if answered.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

RainerPrem
x4

Re: Walking

Post by RainerPrem » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:05

rrfarmer wrote:Can we play the game WITHOUT having to walk everywhere in the ships and stations?
I understood that you have to walk on platforms to switch ships in the beginning, but later you can teleport between ALL your ships regardless where they are. I seem to remember there is only mission based access to station interior.

cu
Rainer

kolimbo
x4

Re: Walking

Post by kolimbo » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:07

RainerPrem wrote:
rrfarmer wrote:Can we play the game WITHOUT having to walk everywhere in the ships and stations?
I understood that you have to walk on platforms to switch ships in the beginning, but later you can teleport between ALL your ships regardless where they are. I seem to remember there is only mission based access to station interior.

cu
Rainer
This is what I got from the presentation too. This is a good compromise between no interaction in x3 and the mindless wandering we had in x:r.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:55

Yeah, the teleportation tech will allow you to eventually teleport to any ship (there are different tech levels for it which increase range)

I think once you hit that point, you probably only need to dock at stations to complete mission objectives.

OwnlyMe
x4

terribly disappointed

Post by OwnlyMe » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 11:15

honestly, if i am forced to walk a single meter in this game i won't play it just like i didn't play x rebirth
they can keep the feature in the game for immersion purposes, i don't care as long as i'm not forced to run anywhere or to leave my precious pilot seat while sometimes having my beloved auto pilot taking over...
the really only way it would be acceptable, is as an egoshooter when you board¹ an enemy ship or station
the running feels not really fluid anyway, if they asked me they should have just copied the running physics from counter strike

¹ maybe egosoft translated this word wrong since the first time ego perspective was suggested: by board i mean conquer

skullair
x4

Post by skullair » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 11:45

I don't get why people have such a problem with walking... yes, the smalltalk minigame was awfull and sneaking in the vents of the same station all over again was not good either, but walking to a different ship landed on the same station or a carrier is just logical and a neat feature.
Everyone seems to want a game exactly like x3 (with it's boring and outdated graphics and the clocked up spredsheets) but that is not going to happen since technology has advandced and it is capable of more things. This is a game design issue in how to make it more interesting and not like "don't walk at all"
:boron: #Boronlivesmatter :boron:

Krushwarok
x4

Post by Krushwarok » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 12:10

skullair wrote:I don't get why people have such a problem with walking... yes, the smalltalk minigame was awfull and sneaking in the vents of the same station all over again was not good either, but walking to a different ship landed on the same station or a carrier is just logical and a neat feature.
Everyone seems to want a game exactly like x3 (with it's boring and outdated graphics and the clocked up spredsheets) but that is not going to happen since technology has advandced and it is capable of more things. This is a game design issue in how to make it more interesting and not like "don't walk at all"
Agree , I dont understand either. If he just want to fly with a ship Elite is more advanced in that area.

Juggernaut93
x4

Post by Juggernaut93 » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 13:09

Krushwarok wrote:
skullair wrote:I don't get why people have such a problem with walking... yes, the smalltalk minigame was awfull and sneaking in the vents of the same station all over again was not good either, but walking to a different ship landed on the same station or a carrier is just logical and a neat feature.
Agree , I dont understand either. If he just want to fly with a ship Elite is more advanced in that area.
I'm actually quite happy to be able to walk around, it helps immersion and for me it's very important. Now that it will be only required to switch ships (like in the old X games when you had no transporter device) and to bring people on your ship for missions, then I think it's a nice feature to have, to be honest. The problem would be being forced to walk around all the time, but I don't think X4 will have this requirement from what they said yesterday.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 13:11

I don't think Trade Agent collection was particularly discussed so use of Small Talk may remain. But if X4 property radar collects info and if there are XRVR-style Trade Agent rewards for nearby combat, Small Talk probably won't be that critical.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 13:17

I think it was mentioned there's some sort of station module that will act like trade agent access in a similar fashion to satellites. I am imagining a commlink module or something that you can point at a particular zone.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

Krushwarok
x4

Post by Krushwarok » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 13:18

Juggernaut93 wrote:
Krushwarok wrote:
I'm actually quite happy to be able to walk around, it helps immersion and for me it's very important. Now that it will be only required to switch ships (like in the old X games when you had no transporter device) and to bring people on your ship for missions, then I think it's a nice feature to have, to be honest. The problem would be being forced to walk around all the time, but I don't think X4 will have this requirement from what they said yesterday.
To be honest the teleportation will break the immersion massively for me. It's look like to me like if I playing small scenarios in a little bubbles between teleports and making the universe small and fragmented I think and I know this is a bad choice even worst then the single ship idea in Rebirth. Maybe the basic short range version wont do much damage but later the long range will really ruin the experiance and the feel.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 13:59

Krushwarok wrote:To be honest the teleportation will break the immersion massively for me. It's look like to me like if I playing small scenarios in a little bubbles between teleports and making the universe small and fragmented I think and I know this is a bad choice even worst then the single ship idea in Rebirth. Maybe the basic short range version wont do much damage but later the long range will really ruin the experiance and the feel.
Yet
A) You need an HQ first and then research this teleporter. Meaning this will be available only in late game where you are more then happy to fast-travel* around your expanded empire.
B) This is essentially another jumpdrive iteration like the one from previous games
C) While the jumpdrive could teleport every ship, everywhere, everytime; with the teleporter your ships need to be already there.
D) You dont need to use it, right? :P

* That is what is basically is from other games, right? A fast travel option

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 14:07

Tamina wrote:
Krushwarok wrote:To be honest the teleportation will break the immersion massively for me. It's look like to me like if I playing small scenarios in a little bubbles between teleports and making the universe small and fragmented I think and I know this is a bad choice even worst then the single ship idea in Rebirth. Maybe the basic short range version wont do much damage but later the long range will really ruin the experiance and the feel.
Yet
A) You need an HQ first and then research this teleporter. Meaning this will be available only in late game where you are more then happy to fast-travel* around your expanded empire.
B) This is essentially another jumpdrive iteration like the one from previous games
C) While the jumpdrive could teleport every ship, everywhere, everytime; with the teleporter your ships need to be already there.

+1
The teleporter will not break immersion because it will not be avaliable until late game, but when player empre expand I will love to use the teleportation device to jump into points of interest.
This is less OP than X-Rebirth jumpdrive, because you can't jump anywhere, nor can you bring your ship along.

I wonder if the normal Jump Drive will be still avaliable and how it will be ballance (I hope it will be less powerful than in X-Rebirth).

Krushwarok
x4

Post by Krushwarok » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 14:44

Tamina wrote:
Yet

A) True , but still there ( like D) ) and break the immersion.
B) Not exactly
C) True that is why B) is not exactly the same and jump technology is more of a traveling technology unlike a teleportation. I can't explain this one is just feel not the same like teleportation is not exact sci-fi technology more like a fantasy magic there is no explanation behind it like sci-fi suggest it.
D) Same thing that people tell others when someone missing an iron mode (no save load option) it is just not how it works you know people will use it because it's more convenient and more likely will cheat it in early game because they have used it and it is just convenient.

Yes a limited fast travel option but still the giving the same effect as a fast travel breaking the game immersion, the world size.

Juggernaut93
x4

Post by Juggernaut93 » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 15:00

Teleportation is widely used in sci-fi (e.g. Star Trek, Doctor Who, etc.) and the Jumpdrive is just teleportation but for ships (from a technological point of view).

Krushwarok
x4

Post by Krushwarok » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 16:05

Juggernaut93 wrote:Teleportation is widely used in sci-fi (e.g. Star Trek, Doctor Who, etc.) and the Jumpdrive is just teleportation but for ships (from a technological point of view).
In Star Trek they refer as Transporter or beaming device there is a "science" behind it at least explanation. In other hand in Doctor Who is just a fantasy because its fiction true but the science explanation part missing mostly from the series it's mix of both that is why they call the series sci-fi fantasy in a science fiction setting with fantasy. On the other hand teleportation I feel like fantasy and not sci-fi despite the fact there are a lot of sci-fi novels/games/etc that widely use the term and not really explain it or if they do they do it vaguely or just simply use another term to be able explain it more believable like Star Trek. I can't help it but I feel and think this way as well.

mr.WHO
x4

(video) How will teleporters work in X4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 16:11

True story :)
https://youtu.be/4N15J4ibej8?t=1m40s

<Duplicate post removed. Alan Phipps>

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 16:12

Idle thoughts.

If you are 'teleporting' yourself from your ship/station to your ship/station then that means that the necessary power, technical, control and sensor items can be duplicated on both the sending and receiving platforms - hence redundancy, error checking, easier target lock, controlled environment, etc, etc.

If you just 'teleport' from anywhere to anywhere else and/or carry your platform with you then you risk the conditions and environment at the target end having changed by the time you arrive. Very risky!
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 16:18

Krushwarok wrote:D) Same thing that people tell others when someone missing an iron mode (no save load option) it is just not how it works you know people will use it because it's more convenient and more likely will cheat it in early game because they have used it and it is just convenient.
Why does it matter so much to you what other people do? If they find teleportation makes the game more fun for them that's their choice. Doesn't mean you have to use it if you don't like it. Similar situation to Skunk's Jumpdrive in XR - many people like it & I'm fine with that, however personally I don't need such a thing, so never got round to building it in any of my games. Last thing I'd do though is demand that it should be removed from the game just because I find the game more fun without it.

As for walking around ships & stations, that I rather do like. When I first started playing X games (X2) was quite disappointed to find that the hanger on capital ships was not modelled (was hoping it was after seeing the docking bays on stations) & found the sudden jump from approaching the docking bay in my fighter to suddenly being on the bridge very immersion breaking.

Return to “X4: Foundations”