EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish

Active Missile Defense ?
View previous topic :: View next topic
Bill Huntington

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 25. Aug 17, 23:45    Post subject: Active Missile Defense ? Reply with quote Print

I've been invading the Paranid key sectors and boarding their Oddy and Zeus. I've made $ 1.2 Bil but their defenses are getting better. If they have an Ares or an RRF Hades, they spam missiles at my personal ship and the support ships too. I 'station bomb' the Ares but I'm having trouble nailing those Hades. I'm getting my own M8 to answer that but meanwhile I'm having to deal with multiple Tomahawks tearing me up. I've got Mosquito defense and it's not enough.

The Mosquito has a range of 14 km. Anyone use a manual launch to get extra shot on those guys? Anyone use an active missile defense, firing a missile at another missile at range? If so, what do you use?

Thanks!

Timsup2nothin

PostPosted: Sat, 26. Aug 17, 00:14    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I use manual launch. A mosquito needs too much time to home on a tomahawk to let the MDM system launch them. The automated system's mosquito will end up flying through the blast sometime after the tomahawk hits you.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!
Jimmy C

PostPosted: Sat, 26. Aug 17, 04:13    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Missiles can go crazy and unable to hit if you reloaded a savegame with missiles in flight, sometimes.

Your own M8 is not going to do much better than what you have now with regards to missile defense, even if you pack it to the gills with Mosquitoes.

If you have your own M7M, sequentially launching a dozen or more Flails at the M8 the moment it appears should help. About 9 will destroy the M8 and the remainder will chase down its most recently launched missiles.

Running directly away from the M8 also helps to buy you time to shoot down the swarm.

Bill Huntington

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 26. Aug 17, 06:31    Post subject: Thanks and a question about lasers Reply with quote Print

Good info. Thanks Tim and Jimmy C.

Both the Cobra and my M8 have their laser weapons in the rear. If I'm running away what's a better weapon choice for Tomahawk missile defense? Ion shard or PAC in the Cobra? Phased Repeater Gun or PAC for the M8?

I decided to try the Auster Hauler for my M8. 3 x 200 shields, PRG for weapon, 1250 for Cargo space. But speed is 104. I do have a Turbo.

RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Sat, 26. Aug 17, 08:13    Post subject: Re: Thanks and a question about lasers Reply with quote Print

Bill Huntington wrote:
... what's a better weapon choice for Tomahawk missile defense? Ion shard or PAC in the Cobra? Phased Repeater Gun or PAC for the M8?

For the smaller ship, I would go with the PRG due to its longer range and better accuracy due to higher RoF and higher projectile speed. For larger vessels, I would use flaks whenever possible (except for FBL, which doesn't work well at all) - failing that, of the options you proffer I would recommend the heavier one: the ISR has good damage (which is actually relevant even against missiles in X3AP, but not in X3TC), rate of fire, projectile speed, and range.

In general: the longer the weapon's range, the farther out it starts trying to shoot down incomings, which is good. The higher the projectile speed and the rate of fire, the more accurate the gun, hitting more consistently.

Bill Huntington wrote:
I decided to try the Auster Hauler for my M8. 3 x 200 shields, PRG for weapon, 1250 for Cargo space. But speed is 104. I do have a Turbo.

When I play as Argon, this is my M8 of choice. Smile I never fly my fire-support ships personally, so I don't get the benefits of a turbo, but given that I use it as a stand-off fire-support weapon, it's typically well out of danger, and its thick shields help should things get out of control. Now, while those shields are definitely a plus, it's actually the cargo space I value the most in this one.

Happy hunting!

Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff