Total solar eclipse over North America starting soon

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sorkvild
x3tc

Total solar eclipse over North America starting soon

Post by Sorkvild » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 15:25

On Monday, August 21, 2017, all of North America will be treated to an eclipse of the sun. Anyone within the path of totality can see one of nature’s most awe-inspiring sights - a total solar eclipse. This path, where the moon will completely cover the sun and the sun's tenuous atmosphere - the corona - can be seen, will stretch from Lincoln Beach, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina. Observers outside this path will still see a partial solar eclipse where the moon covers part of the sun's disk.
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-wh ... en-and-how
Watch live via NASA television
https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive/#NASA+ ... ic+Channel
Last edited by Sorkvild on Mon, 21. Aug 17, 18:16, edited 2 times in total.
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 15:50

I know most people on this forum are probably geek enough to already know how to build this (:D), but in case you don't, here's how to make a cereal box projector to watch the eclipse:

http://www.abc2news.com/news/eclipse/vi ... ar-eclipse
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 18:26

I saw the eclipse in the UK in the late nineties, it was ok, not especially exciting, I didn't get especially wound up that it was happening, but it was kinda weird the way everything got cold and all the birds shut up (at least I think that was what they did, it was a while ago, they did something strange anyway). I'm glad I didn't miss it.

I woudn't have gone anywhere to see it, but It was right over my house, so all I had to do was stand in my back garden
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 19:45

mrbadger wrote:I saw the eclipse in the UK in the late nineties, it was ok, not especially exciting, I didn't get especially wound up that it was happening, but it was kinda weird the way everything got cold and all the birds shut up (at least I think that was what they did, it was a while ago, they did something strange anyway). I'm glad I didn't miss it.

I woudn't have gone anywhere to see it, but It was right over my house, so all I had to do was stand in my back garden
Yeah I remember that one.
Twas pretty typical British weather where I lived at the time, i.e. thick cloud cover and a bit drizzly and I don't think the area I was in was quite in the path of totality. So I didn't see anything especially dramatic, it just got slightly dimmer for a few minutes. I then went inside an watched it on TV from the places that had a better view / weather . . . . . which I think Ironically was Scotland. :roll:

Kinda of the same opinion, cool if you happen to be in easy reach of one and the weather is on your side, but wouldn't go especially out of my way to see one first hand.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 19:49

In Banbury it was clear skies, a lovely warm day.

Made the transition to cold when the sun went away even stranger.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 21:47

I was in East London at the time for the UK one mentioned above. It was an overcast day but it definitely got darker, noticeably colder, and yes, the birds all fell silent.

It was eerie more than moving or profound, but iirc it wasn't a total eclipse, which, with clear skies, I imagine would be... a remarkable experience.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 22:36

The 1995 UK eclipse was total down in Cornwall, I think, but it was completely overcast down there so nobody saw much of it. Lovely clear skies up in Manchester, where I saw it. We also had a partial eclipse up here a couple of years ago. I think those two are the only eclipses I've seen.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 00:40

I wasn't in the direct path, but it got a bit dark. It was overcast, here, but a few neighbors using glasses said they could see some changes.

I've seen partials, but not a whole solar eclipse (totality). Was a brief cool spell, which was interesting.

One thing that sort of bugs me, though - "ZOMGZ SCIENCE CHURCH ZOMGZ!"

I love science and I'm a big fan. But, a lot of news commentators and event-blitz talking heads were saying things like "This is why science is important" and, paraphrased, "Look what science has done for us."

It's nature... This is celestial mechanics. Sure, being able to accurately predict it is what science is all about, but science didn't cause the eclipse and it's not some sort of "gift" for our scientific achievements... (This particular subject is a pet peeve of mine, so sorry 'bout that.)

Anyway, it was cool, literally, but wasn't too dramatic here. There's another one coming in a few years that crosses many of the regions that were left out of this one.

It's almost as if the Universe is conspiring to keep us in the dark... Trump, probably...

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 05:09

Not at the optimal point to view it but it got colder, there was a breeze and the light was dimmer but only by a bit. Mostly blue sky.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 10:12

Morkonan wrote:One thing that sort of bugs me, though - "ZOMGZ SCIENCE CHURCH ZOMGZ!"

I love science and I'm a big fan. But, a lot of news commentators and event-blitz talking heads were saying things like "This is why science is important" and, paraphrased, "Look what science has done for us."

It's nature... This is celestial mechanics. Sure, being able to accurately predict it is what science is all about, but science didn't cause the eclipse and it's not some sort of "gift" for our scientific achievements... (This particular subject is a pet peeve of mine, so sorry 'bout that.)
This has been covered quite accurately on xkcd: Eclipse Science.

Also just incase you have wondered why there isn't an eclipse every month, xkcd has an explanation for this too.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

berth
x4

Post by berth » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 10:34

pjknibbs wrote:The 1995 UK eclipse was total down in Cornwall, I think, but it was completely overcast down there so nobody saw much of it. Lovely clear skies up in Manchester, where I saw it. We also had a partial eclipse up here a couple of years ago. I think those two are the only eclipses I've seen.
95? I think it was '99. Anyway, down here in Guernsey we had ~99% totality, so it did get quite dark very quickly. The seagulls went ape, it was still pretty cosmic even with the cloud. Alderney had the total eclipse as I recall.

Some friends in Oregon shared some photos - it looks like conditions were very good.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 13:29

I've slept more than a few times since then, you might well be right and it was '99. :)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 17:28

X2-Illuminatus wrote:...This has been covered quite accurately on xkcd: Eclipse Science.
Gotta love xkcd!
Also just incase you have wondered why there isn't an eclipse every month, xkcd has an explanation for this too.
Thanks! But, I didn't ever wonder why there wasn't an eclipse every month... Do people actually wonder about that? :)

Added: PERFECT! Redneck Solar Eclipse: https://imgur.com/gallery/RF5Z5El

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 18:28

Morkonan wrote:Thanks! But, I didn't ever wonder why there wasn't an eclipse every month... Do people actually wonder about that? :)
I always assumed it was only a matter of the moon's orbit around the earth not being 100% in line with the orbit of the earth around the sun. I never bothered to check and confirm, but it's the only thing that could make sense to me.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 19:07

Ezarkal wrote:
Morkonan wrote:Thanks! But, I didn't ever wonder why there wasn't an eclipse every month... Do people actually wonder about that? :)
I always assumed it was only a matter of the moon's orbit around the earth not being 100% in line with the orbit of the earth around the sun. I never bothered to check and confirm, but it's the only thing that could make sense to me.
Basically yes.

The Earth's axis is tiled in relation to the plane of its orbit around the sun (why we have seasons) and the moon's orbital plane is aligned to that tilt.
I'm guessing if we didn't have that tilt we would have a eclipse a month. My subsequent question would then be: Would they always be in the same 12 places each year?
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 19:36

Bishop149 wrote:Basically yes.

The Earth's axis is tiled in relation to the plane of its orbit around the sun (why we have seasons) and the moon's orbital plane is aligned to that tilt.
I'm guessing if we didn't have that tilt we would have a eclipse a month. My subsequent question would then be: Would they always be in the same 12 places each year?
No, they wouldn't, unless the Earth's rotation period, the Moon's orbital period and the Earth's orbital period were all integer fractions of each other, which they aren't. The eclipse would always fall along the equator in this situation, but not in the same place each time.

Also, due to the ellipticity of the Earth and Moon's orbits, you'd still get some total eclipses and some annular eclipses (where the Moon doesn't appear big enough to completely cover the Sun).

Interesting fact: Kerbin and the Mun in KSP both have non-inclined orbits, and you do indeed get an eclipse every month.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 19:42

Bishop149 wrote:My subsequent question would then be: Would they always be in the same 12 places each year?
You mean, the shadow's position on earth?
Well, if the earth's tilt was aligned to it's orbit, then technically the eclipse would always be directly on the equator.

Edit: Actually, scratch that. A satellite does not have to be aligned with the object it's rotation around to stay in orbit. There are plenty of proofs of that.
I don't know if it's true for objects of more relative mass, though. Take mars's satellite: they are pretty small compared to the planet. They probably won't affect (or be affected by) the planet the way the moon would affect the earth, or the way charron affects pluto.

TL/DR: Call me John Snow, for I know nothing.

Edit 2: Thanks, red assassin, for bringing knowledge to the discussion.

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Wed, 23. Aug 17, 03:38

mrbadger wrote:I saw the eclipse in the UK in the late nineties, it was ok, not especially exciting, I didn't get especially wound up that it was happening, but it was kinda weird the way everything got cold and all the birds shut up (at least I think that was what they did, it was a while ago, they did something strange anyway). I'm glad I didn't miss it.

I saw one in Melbourne in 1975 I think. That too was from my back porch but I thought it was a somewhat surreal experience. It was awesome and I'm glad I was lucky enough to experience it first hand. I looked at it without aid during totality.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 23. Aug 17, 15:42

Ezarkal wrote:Thanks, red assassin, for bringing knowledge to the discussion.
Indeed, thanks red for answering.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 25. Aug 17, 14:20

And now this: Rapper Joey Bada$$ cancels Toronto show after staring at eclipse
“Am I crazy for watching the eclipse today w no glasses? I’ve sungazed before and afterwards saw colors for a whole day. I didn’t die tho,” he wrote on Twitter on Monday.

“This ain’t the first solar eclipse and I’m pretty sure our ancestors ain’t have no fancy eyewear,” he continued. “Also pretty sure they ain’t all go blind.”

[...]

The next day he announced that his Toronto, Chicago and Cleveland shows on Logic’s “Everybody Tour” were cancelled due to “unforeseen circumstances,” leading to speculation that the cancellations might have something to do with vision problems.
What? :o

Is this a new variation on the Darwin Award?

"Braille award"?

Return to “Off Topic English”