London incidents with fatalities (being treated as potential terrorist attack)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Mon, 5. Jun 17, 12:16

Multiple properties were visited, so not just the place where they lived. They may have included relatives as well, or any other people that were on the periphery and perhaps already being monitored. Again, lets see what the police dig up but it should be interesting and probably a painful experience for the security services and the PM.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 5. Jun 17, 19:07

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... um=twitter

Bloody immigrants, coming over here, working long hours, paying taxes, attacking terrorists with crates and keeping people safe.

Vote UKIP! :roll:
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 07:49

Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 10:19

Bishop149 wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... um=twitter

Bloody immigrants, coming over here, working long hours, paying taxes, attacking terrorists with crates and keeping people safe.

That was great. I was watching an interview with him on TV last night.

It certainly is heart warming when you see someone stand up in the face of extremism and go toe to toe with these cowards.

It makes me wonder whether I would be brave enough to do the same thing. It might depend on the circumstance. If I was in the street and unarmed I would almost certainly run. But if they burst into a bar and there were glasses and bottles to hand I think I would be braver.

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 11:35

Memnoch wrote:
Bishop149 wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... um=twitter

It makes me wonder whether I would be brave enough to do the same thing. It might depend on the circumstance. If I was in the street and unarmed I would almost certainly run. But if they burst into a bar and there were glasses and bottles to hand I think I would be braver.
You will never know what would you do till it happens, and that's because of adrenalin, once you have adrenalin in your blood you don't think the same way and you can do things you never expect yourself to be able to do.

Some years ago one spanish terrorist blew herself with the bomb she was making on a chalet near where i was having my vacations, and by near i mean like 50m away from my apartment and when you heard the bomb at first you feel confused, then you realize its a bomb and probably there are some terrorist around and your body goes full of adrenalin, believe me, you don't think the way you did before.

And that's probably what "forced" that guy to go outside and hit them with the first thing he could find, some people drown themselves with the panic and terror and get petrified, other just do something without thinking in their own health or what could happen to them.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 10:25

[sigh]
Another one, it seems that "Drive vehicle into crowd" is very much the terrorist weapon de jour, number of attacks seems commensurate with ease of gaining the means.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-40323279

Kudos to those on the scene who subdued the attacker before the police even arrived.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 11:40

Blinking jerks. . .

(Sometimes choosing not to use foul language leaves you with little to say in situations like this)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 13:05

It really is a though time for England right now. :(

Let's hope that all of the injured survive.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 13:43

I think it's pretty amazing that the worshippers at the mosque, after seeing people get run down by the van, didn't take it out on the driver--they just "sat on him" until the police arrived. Best way to respond to extremists, because if you react to violence with more violence things just get worse.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 13:51

So it's about time people stopped just calling Muslims terrorists then.

These guys were racist murderers, also known as 'terrorists'.
I'd say it makes me ashamed, but I've long since known there are people in my society to be ashamed of that are quite capable of, doing this sort of thing, and eager to do it.

How exactly can it be stopped? I have no idea, you can't force someone to stop being a racist, nor can you prevent them from turning their children into racists. Although we can mitigate that somewhat, and in some cases reverse it.

But sometimes it just doesn't work. Some people with low inteligemce just plain like being racist, it gives them a way to blame people for their own lack of success in life.

ISIS doesn't have the monopoly on murderuous stupidity, not by a long shot.

But the Muslims they attacked just held them for arrest, even after they murdered someone. I wonder if, had the situation had been reversed that would have happened?
Last edited by mrbadger on Mon, 19. Jun 17, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 14:01

To the people who held the criminal until the authorities arrived, I say 'Well done, citizens."

(I know, it sounds batman-ish, but it's really the best complement you can pay these guys!).
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 20. Jun 17, 14:08

Usenko wrote:To the people who held the criminal until the authorities arrived, I say 'Well done, citizens."

(I know, it sounds batman-ish, but it's really the best complement you can pay these guys!).
Apparently people were beating the attacker and it could have ended in mob justice, but the Imam of the local mosque intervened and manged to calm people down and told them to turn the attacker into the police.

The is a video of him sitting on top of the attack and shouting at people to leave him alone after one person kicks the grounded attacker, but due to the grafic nature I am not going to link it here.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 20. Jun 17, 17:20

Generally in the press it's the Immams who are presented as being the ones who instigate violence, not the ones who prevent it.

Of course anyone who actually has the common sense to see for themselves would realise that this is bol*@$ks, but you have to be wanting to think that to start with...

Kind of annoyed that Ramadan is still on, because I have to buy my own coffee, my Muslim colleague and I usually take turns, except during Ramadan, when I have to buy my own, just because he's fasting :x

It's religious persecution because I'm an athiest I'm telling you!!!
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 01:53

Bishop149 wrote:[sigh]
Another one, it seems that "Drive vehicle into crowd" is very much the terrorist weapon de jour, number of attacks seems commensurate with ease of gaining the means.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-40323279

Kudos to those on the scene who subdued the attacker before the police even arrived.
That is a massive win for Terrorism. Tells you how much they have managed to raise tensions between two parts of society. Tellingly as well workshippers trying to lynch the attacker. It does not bode well and pretty sure some radical xenophobic political party will soon capitalise on it.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 21:23

mrbadger wrote:Generally in the press it's the Immams who are presented as being the ones who instigate violence, not the ones who prevent it.

Of course anyone who actually has the common sense to see for themselves would realise that this is bol*@$ks, but you have to be wanting to think that to start with...
Yes you have to.
That 'presented as' contains exactly a grain of truth, and if you miss that grain and keeps actively doin' nothin' it'll be you who does the job for that
Santi wrote:... some radical xenophobic political party ...
who will soon capitalise on it.

The islam is not the kind of homogenous thing what a western mind would like to see from a religion. Some parts of it actively deals in politics, power and violence. Many others not. So, simply: not just 'imams' but 'some imams', and those ones are (mostly) well known by now. But even if they are well known, they cannot be (almost impossible to be) touched, because it is a common sense that it's not the 'imams', right?

If the acknowledged 'common sense' cannot adapt to the changes then there will be a backlash and suddenly there will be a ton of trump-like figures popping up from nothin'.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 22:07

The Daily Fail's backhanded commentary would tend to confirm that assessment...
I suspect the attacker would have far right connections though haven't heard it confirmed as yet.
We're used to terrorists being white and English speaking in the UK so it isn't surprising that he was declared as such.
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 28. Jun 17, 23:37

I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Return to “Off Topic English”