[X3 TC Vanilla] Large objects and towing

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

szczekan
x3tc

[X3 TC Vanilla] Large objects and towing

Post by szczekan » Thu, 25. May 17, 12:05

I' ve just pass Aldrin plot (towing mining ship) and i have a question: is this a possible to towing my own silicon mine from one sector to another?

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 25. May 17, 13:09

Not in vanilla. Only ships can be dragged through gates. Stations won't move between sectors.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

szczekan
x3tc

Post by szczekan » Thu, 25. May 17, 13:36

ok, thx

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Boarding not necessary

Post by Bill Huntington » Fri, 26. May 17, 04:28

You don't have to tow that ship. You can board it and deliver it yourself with less trouble.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Re: Boarding not necessary

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sat, 27. May 17, 04:38

Bill Huntington wrote:You don't have to tow that ship. You can board it and deliver it yourself with less trouble.
Less fun tho ;)

FWIW there's been some discussion WRT towing things thru gates recently. Here are my observations:
  • Always try to use autopilot on the tug!
  • When towing thru gates, the tug needs to have access to a clear area on the other side of the gate, often up to 50Km (depending upon the size of the towed object)
  • The tug needs to be given explicit orders to defend itself (if necessary) without dropping the tow
  • Accompanying ships need to move from the gate's immediate area ASAP; they can position themselves for defence as <player> wishes.. (so don't drop a bunch of LTs down there for defence: they'll work against you: cf point 2 above!)
    • Once thru the gate (& while <playership> is IS), the tug will hang around until its client appears thru the gate; it may be up to 30s (estimated) or longer, depending upon the towed object. THIS IS NORMAL BEHAVIOUR under autopilot, or if you're piloting the <playerhip> tug! IF <tug> manoeuvrers during this time the tow will be lost!
    • Towed object won't collide with <tug> provided autopilot is used & no obstacles are present to muck up pathing. <Tug> will simply continue on its way to its eventual destination (thru gates etc), towing <object> as it goes
    • Provided the tow hasn't been lost (cf), the towed object should appear thru the gate as expected, then the tug will continue on its way to its designated destination.
    • THIS APPLIES TO PLAYERSHIP TUGS TOO! I've seen any amount of complaints around here saying that towed objects don't work thru gates, but IME (non-modded ofc) they do just fine /if/ you have the patience!
  • It is almost always better to allow gate transference to continue using autopilot, altho it can take extra time
    There are some exceptions I'll go into below..
WRT the fist point above, remember when you were towing mines around? Remember when they wouldn't swing in the correct direction no matter how much you did, until you learned to control your vector? This works similarly for any towed objects, except for the fact that a swinging object may break the tow if you're IS (not sure about OOS, but prolly the same as the usual OOS collision 'physics') & approaching the gate manually from a wrong angle. So DON'T BREAK THE TOW & don't do any wild manoeuvrers! Allow the autopilot to do its work unless survival is paramount

If you're going to deploy LTs as defence, do so on the outside (hostile) gate rather than the inside, then get OOS really quickly before the 'physics' mucks up the tug's pathfinding! Ofc this only makes sense if the tug's destination is at least neutral.. but why wouldn't it be?
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 27. May 17, 13:17

My preference is a Pirate Galleon for towing. It's not much faster than the 80m/s speed limit, but has capital class shields and fighters for self defense if anything turns up to try and ruin your day.

jorganos
x3tc

Post by jorganos » Sun, 28. May 17, 13:47

My preference for in-system towing is the dragon. OK speed and maneuverability, can dock at the mines, and usually available for cheap.

It is fairly rare that I tow something through a gate - I don't usually take salvage missions away from jump gates or buoys. Towing is a last meters activity.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Sun, 28. May 17, 14:47

I heard of an exploit that if the player builds as station an simultaneously changes sectors the station sometimes get build in the wrong of the 2 sectors, never tested trough.
Or you use Gazz's Supertraktor Script.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 28. May 17, 14:52

Fair enough, though the Galleon is pretty tiny compared to most things it'd be towing.

On the other hand, the Dragon's combat ability is all forward facing, and so you've got to stop and drop the station/ship you're pulling while the Galleon isn't going to pick up any speed and has turreted weapons, so it can just continue to motor along without losing any ability to fight back.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”