Patrol missions - When something gets overnerfed - a lesson.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dreez
x4

Patrol missions - When something gets overnerfed - a lesson.

Post by Dreez » Tue, 30. May 17, 11:01

Before the change to the patrolmissions, a player with sufficient rank and a powerful ship could easily earn 100+ millions
per mission, and run several of them in the same sector.. causing mayhem but cashing in bigtime.
These missions could drag on for 30 minutes depending on how much they would spawn and how long between each spawn,
but when the player completed them all, totally worth it.

After the overdone nerf to the patrolmissions, a player at max rank is happy to get 5 million from a 1sector patrol that lasts
for 30 minutes, and a multi-sector patrol that lasts for aprox 1hour will net the player 10million on a good day.
I've ran a single sector mission at 2nd highest rank and killed just over 200ships including multiple M1/M2 over the timespan
of ~45 minutes, then gotten rewarded with 7 million... total waste of time.

Then we have the assassination or bounty missions which at higher ranks will reward you with 10-20 million while spawning
1-2 capitals and some fighters.. kill the main target and the mission is done in 20 seconds... cash in 15million.

So.. 15 million for 20seconds work, and 5 million for 30-45 minutes work - guess which one is going to get ignored.

It's my opinion that Patrolmissions were seriously overnerfed. Think of it this way.. a player flying a ship worth ~200million
which is pretty much required for the highest ranked missions of assassionation/bounty, gets rewarded 1/10th of his ships
total value, but still a noticable and respectable reward.

And in the same situation, a player flying the same ship in a multi sector patrolmission and killing 30+ capital ships over a
period of 60+ minutes, gets a reward equal to 4 of his guns on the ship.... despite the difficulty and odds against him/her.

So my question is: Since these missions were hit overly hard with the nerfbat, why weren't they rebalanced with the latest update?.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Wed, 31. May 17, 04:42

its intentional. :roll:
this is like constantly having ship offers mission at 100% hull. although the ship is what you wanted but you just know it's not worth it since the price offered is with shields which you will be stripped upon transfers. I felt scammed. :evil:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 31. May 17, 19:05

ajime wrote:...
this is like constantly having ship offers mission at 100% hull. although the ship is what you wanted but you just know it's not worth it since the price offered is with shields which you will be stripped upon transfers. I felt scammed. :evil:
This, IMO, is a bug that never got fixed. It basically uses the same equipment algorithm as when you capture a ship - there's a small but random chance of getting whatever's still on the ship when it bails. The fact that it's a bug can be seen when buying that very same ship but docked at a station. In that case, you get everything that's on the ship. It's only when the ship is in space that you lose the gear. As I said, a bug.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 03:06

Nanook wrote:
ajime wrote:...
This, IMO, is a bug that never got fixed. It basically uses the same equipment algorithm as when you capture a ship - there's a small but random chance of getting whatever's still on the ship when it bails. The fact that it's a bug can be seen when buying that very same ship but docked at a station. In that case, you get everything that's on the ship. It's only when the ship is in space that you lose the gear. As I said, a bug.
ah. didn't know that will check it out the docked ones. Thanks.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 03:06

Nanook wrote: It basically uses the same equipment algorithm as when you capture a ship - there's a small but random chance of getting whatever's still on the ship when it bails. The fact that it's a bug can be seen when buying that very same ship but docked at a station. In that case, you get everything that's on the ship. It's only when the ship is in space that you lose the gear.
The 'bug' is in the implementation, not the facility IMO

YES to: ships bought in space should have less gear than at a dock. NO: ships in space should have equipment as advertised (otherwise why sell?). However /scanned/, ships in space should adjust price dependent upon installed (un)damaged eqpt.

NO to: scammers in space - the pilots are desperate! YES: Scammers in dock; these both to be modified by a suitable RNG seed: there'll /always/ be scammers!

Does this make sense?

However, going back to OP, you may find that 'overpriced' ships (eg TMs) contain a useful load of gear. including 5*marines. Scan them first ofc..
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 17:01

Snafu_X3 wrote:However, going back to OP ...
OP: Sector Patrol Missions

There must have been many questions and decisions before the development of latest update did start:

Did the players clearly point out the "imbalance of lucrativity" of different missions?
Did the players propose "desirable tunings"?
Did the devs receive the feedback, so that it was on the "things to consider list"?
If it was on the list, on what grounds it was left off?
Did the actual list contain anything but "bugfixes"?

Personally I enroll only for Xenon patrols; have to keep certain friends.

Have you ever desired some harm to come for a NPC station (or lasertower)? Which would be more "accidental", a crook with a price on his head, or a fleet of them? Sorry Sir, I really tried to get there to save your Station in time, but my thrusters malfunctioned ...
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 03:44

jlehtone wrote:
Snafu_X3 wrote:However, going back to OP ...
OP: Sector Patrol Missions
Got me there; mea culpa! (I should have said Dreez rather than OP, but your point stands)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”