May Calls General election

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skism
x3tc

May Calls General election

Post by Skism » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 01:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcceJkVFX2U

OMG

Right well that means two months till everything goes to crazyness

I don't know why but as soon as I read this I was filled with a sense of dread....

Is this a good time to mention that I just started to learn HTML and so far have found it easy?
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 03:22

Lolz... A politician made promises and is now reneging on them, but they're telling the public how awesome everything is and how awesome a job they've done so far, except they have to do things they promised they wouldn't do and do what the people who elected them didn't want them to do, but they're going to do anyway, because... F U UR JUST A PLEBE AN UR NOT TEH BOSS OF ME!

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 03:27

I was hearing a BBC analyst talking about this.

It does look like this wasn't May's choice. Remember, it's a parliamentary system, so if her cabinet decides that an early election is going to happen, she has little choice but to order it.

May's announcement said "I have reluctantly chosen . . ." The BBC reporter said we have no reason to doubt this. In fact, cabinet sources suggest that the decision was unanimous except for her . . .
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 03:32

Usenko wrote:I...In fact, cabinet sources suggest that the decision was unanimous except for her . . .
So, why didn't she say so?

I understand the need to appear unified in order to bolster public confidence. But, there comes a point when one has to decide how much their promises are worth and how true they are going to be to their own honor.

I think Brexit was a dumb idea. I don't know what May stood for, but I do know that abandoning one's principles is wrong, especially if a great many people depended upon those principles when they have given one power to pursue them.

Dunno squat about her cabinet, but if she couldn't control her own cabinet and if they were determined to act against her, she should be announcing her resignation.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 05:38

Morkonan wrote:
Usenko wrote:I...In fact, cabinet sources suggest that the decision was unanimous except for her . . .
So, why didn't she say so?

I understand the need to appear unified in order to bolster public confidence. But, there comes a point when one has to decide how much their promises are worth and how true they are going to be to their own honor.

I think Brexit was a dumb idea. I don't know what May stood for, but I do know that abandoning one's principles is wrong, especially if a great many people depended upon those principles when they have given one power to pursue them.

Dunno squat about her cabinet, but if she couldn't control her own cabinet and if they were determined to act against her, she should be announcing her resignation.
This is normal in Parliamentary governments.

The Prime Minister actually has little real power; they can influence the cabinet, but if the cabinet is against them they have to bow to its wishes.

Therefore it is a common question: Is this a big enough deal for me to resign? Sometimes it is. In my home state, recently the premier[1] was put in this situation and declared that he would be henceforth spending more time with his family[2] after the Cabinet overturned three or four things that he was extremely passionate about. But in reality sometimes you swallow your pride and live with it. In such cases, the Prime Minister is required by convention to fully represent the decision of the government, regardless of how they feel about it.

So it is fully expected that at the end of a long and bruising cabinet meeting the Prime Minister will come out announcing the decision as though it was his or her own idea. That or "The Cabinet has decided this, so I have decided to spend more time with my family." :)

[1] States are run by a parliament just like the Australian country, but the person who is in charge of the state government is called a Premier or First Minister (depending which state it is) rather than Prime Minister.

[2] Just like "Tired and Emotional" is a widely understood euphemism for "drunk", "I intend to spend more time with my family" basically means "[insert word here] you and the horse you rode in on." :)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 08:52

I've long since given up any hope for anything good to come out of this whole Brexit shambles, so my only desire for this upcoming election is that the UKIP vote totally tanks and they're returned to the state of irrelevancy they rightfully deserve.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 11:05

I personally think both Mrs May and the dratted conservative party haven't done a good job at anything since they came to power. As for Brexit, I agree, totally and utter shambles.

Problem, is May will likely win, as there is no party that can really stand up to them, Lib Dems I used to support but did a poor job then they shared power, hence getting wiped out. Labour, not with Jeremy Corbyn, I just think he will never become a good PM. And no one else really will replace him, so until he goes, Labour will remain weak and unelectable.

And the other parties, don't make me laugh. All in all, we are in a real mess. I would like to see the conservatives booted from power, but it's just not going to happen.
Last edited by matthewfarmery on Wed, 19. Apr 17, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
=

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 12:07

I don't know where this impression that the Lib Dems did a bad job of power sharing came from. Now we've seen what the Conservatives do *without* the LDs holding them back, I can only wish for another coalition!

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 12:42

I can't see her keeping her job.
I can't even think of anyone in the Tory party who would make a new PM.
True, I don't follow politics anymore, but it just seems like there are no big names/faces anymore.

Will this be Corbyn's day?

I love the difference between this and the US election that seemed to last the last 3 years.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 12:45

I think they really failed to stand out and stop a few things from happening. like the raise in UNI bills, and other promises that they made. To me, I don't think they really did a good job, but saying that, yes, without them in power, the conservatives have been way worse. Maybe this time, people may vote for them, and give them a fighting chance to form another coalition.

Also remember, they got wiped out because of out voting system, they lost a huge amount of seats that pretty nearly destroyed the party.

@Jericho
indeed, I also don't see her keeping her job either, she has made a total mess of things, but who will replace her? I also can't think of anything who will. unless things go into total meltdown, and that is the last thing we need.
Last edited by matthewfarmery on Wed, 19. Apr 17, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
=

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 12:45

@Skism

Thank you for making a separate thread about this. :thumb_up:

I'm still clinging to the concept of a week being a long time in politics and there being seven of them to go.

It's theoretically possible that Labour will dump Mr Corbyn (even though I personally like him) in favour of someone the country can rally behind. Not very likely perhaps, but seven weeks is seven weeks. It could happen.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 14:51

matthewfarmery wrote:Labour, not with Jeremy Corbyn, I just think he will never become a good PM. And no one else really will replace him, so until he goes, Labour will remain weak and unelectable.
The electorate would not seem to be in agreement with you at this time. He's very grass roots populer. Hugely unpopuler in the corridors of power, yes, I'll admit, but it's not there that the votes are cast.

We'll just have to wait and see. The Labour party that was in existance pre Corbyn was a total mess. Had they stayed as they were I wouldn't have remained a Labour Voter.
matthewfarmery wrote: And the other parties, don't make me laugh. All in all, we are in a real mess. I would like to see the conservatives booted from power, but it's just not going to happen.
What other Parties?

Realistically speaking, there are only two, and power sharing clingons. If the Conservatives stay in power, it'll most likely be in a coalition again. They have been greatly weakened.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 15:55

mrbadger wrote: The electorate would not seem to be in agreement with you at this time. He's very grass roots populer.
Which means, he's very popular among the grassroots members of the Labour party,. Just one slight problem there--those guys would vote Labour *anyway*. To get elected Corbyn has to attract people who aren't dyed-in-the-wool Labour supporters, and among that group he's about as attractive as frozen cat sick.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 15:56

I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 16:07

pjknibbs wrote:among that group he's about as attractive as frozen cat sick.
So, um, how long have you been freezing cat sick to know how to evaluate people against it?

Just asking.....

The *popular* view was that Trump never stood a chance, and now he's in the Whitehouse, so how does he compare to your wierd frozen cat excretion collection?
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 16:22

Depends on how long the 'Angry' vote can last for, I don't think most who voted for Trump or Bexit actually voted for the reasons put forward by the issues, I think it was just protest votes in order to get heard.

I don't agree with leaving, we clearly have more power inside, are more able to change from within and are living in denial if we think the rest of the EU will roll over and give us access to the single market without giving up control of the 'free movement' clause, meaning we would have to hand back power on the number 1 issues by miles that the leave vote relied on.

However, those who have had to go to the likes of UKIP or Mari Le Pen in France or Wilders in The Netherlands or of course Trump, have been almost exclusively pushed there after years of being ignored by the status quo parties and political figures. Your not a democracy if you claim to represent people who voted for you but then consistently ignore 25% of the electorate just because the want change and are unhappy, eventually this was going to happen.

I would like Labour to run on a campaign to repeal Article 50 and run a coalition government with the SNP, let them look after Scotland and Labour the rest but I don't think Labour has the balls to be so radical or to stand up for actual beliefs they are supposed to hold.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 16:40

mrbadger wrote:
matthewfarmery wrote:Labour, not with Jeremy Corbyn, I just think he will never become a good PM. And no one else really will replace him, so until he goes, Labour will remain weak and unelectable.
The electorate would not seem to be in agreement with you at this time. He's very grass roots populer. Hugely unpopuler in the corridors of power, yes, I'll admit, but it's not there that the votes are cast.

We'll just have to wait and see. The Labour party that was in existance pre Corbyn was a total mess. Had they stayed as they were I wouldn't have remained a Labour Voter.
matthewfarmery wrote: And the other parties, don't make me laugh. All in all, we are in a real mess. I would like to see the conservatives booted from power, but it's just not going to happen.
What other Parties?

Realistically speaking, there are only two, and power sharing clingons. If the Conservatives stay in power, it'll most likely be in a coalition again. They have been greatly weakened.
As long as Corbyn remains as party leader, I just don't see labour winning. He might have the support of the party, but I don't think he will have support enough to make labour win. There is a difference there. And personally, as long as he remains as leader, I will not vote labour.

as for other parties, there aren't any worth considering, which was my point. We might have a lot of smaller parties, but not one of them will ever get enough votes to be worth anything.

I think the other way for labour to win is if Corbyn is booted. but they are behind by a margin, only if there is a massive turnaround will labour have a chance. But things could change? but still, I won't vote labour, then again, I have lost faith in the election system as a whole.
=

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 16:45

I see a lot of denial that people who voted for leaving the EU really meant to leave it. I think most of that is down to cherry picking of people to go on the news and say exactly that. The truth is a great many people on both sides knew exactly what they were voting for. I certainly did.

A mainly protest vote would not have been a near 50/50 split.

We didn't get to vote to join the EU, I'm shocked at how few people know this simple fact.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 17:09

It wasn't a vote on the EU it was a vote on immigrants and I'm shocked you think many know anything about the EU, let alone be actual able to articulate it beyond hating Polish people, muslims and entertaining some idea that shouting Rule Britannia is going to change the position of the EU on the our entry into the single market.

White Van Man was the majority of the leave vote, based on an agenda championed by UKIP that the common man will have more wealth and the country will somehow be great again if we chuck all the foreigners out. Funny seem to have heard a US chap say the same thing, you know the same guy now kissing Chinese ass for trade, which is where we will be if we get locked out of the single market.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 17:19

mrbadger wrote:We didn't get to vote to join the EU, I'm shocked at how few people know this simple fact.
That's because it isn't true. United Kingdom European Communities referendum of 1975.

Return to “Off Topic English”